[WIP] Bee farm quest

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Valentina
Peon
Peon

[WIP] Bee farm quest

Post by Valentina »

Before you begin to read this know that it is a large chain quest and is not complete

Ideas by: Valentina

New Quest:

Ok so here is my idea…..

You arrive and get off the boat and walk down a path to a farm where there is a Bee farmer Galimatia(Hinnak would work with a net hat). His Bees have moved to somewhere else, because his field of flowers have died from a blight. He needs some way to still gather (Honey) to earn his living.

Galimatia sends you to Andra to get her help. Andra can’t get away, so player must do the work for her. She sends player after 10 Cactus Potions and 1 Bottle of Water. She makes a Purification Potion to heal the land. She gives it to the player and says it must be poured in the heart of the land. (marked in some way. Like in the Orum and Waric follow-up quest).

Part 2

The land is now healed but nothing grows. Galimatia again sends player to Andra to get her help. She is happy the land is well and wants to help. She sends player to get 1 Bottle of Water and 10 Flower Seeds(Grass Seeds renamed) These will drop from Clover Patches. From this she makes a Fertility Potion (Purification Potion renamed). Again She gives it to the player and says it must be poured in the same place. Player uses it and is move to a land of Pink Flowers (and other colors I hope) for the bees.
I see this as two maps exactly the same except for the flowers. The server checks for the Fertility Potion Flag, when players enter and sends players to the correct land. All exits are the same, unless more quests are added. Pouring it into the land moves you to the other map.

Part 3 (Optional)
Find Queen Bee and reward her with 3 different candies if she returns with the other bees. Otherwise just have the honey bees return on their own to the hives.

Part 4

The fields are in bloom and the Bees hard a work bringing stuff to the hives. (idea requires adding a new item(Beehive).

Galimatia’s war injury is acting up and needs your help to get the honey in.
(These Honey Bees will have lower health and defense so that lower lvls can fight them).

To gather honey from beehives that the Bees protect and you go into a certain range the Bees from that specific hive will attack you. Then when you defeat the bees (about 2-3 Bees protecting a hive) Click their hive and it will supply Honey (some hives don't have Honey and some do - 50% drop rate should do the trick) The hive is a mob like the flowers. Four honey jars complete the quest.

Part 5
Galimatia gives the player their reward and a jar of Honey. He asks you to take it to Andra for her part in healing his farm. Player does and gets a minor reward from Andra too.
Quest Ends

The npc dialogue for Part 1:

Galimatia: (Quest symbol overhead) Player clicks on Galimatia and dialog box says,
“Galimatia mutters quietly ’Lost, all I’ve worked for is lost.’”
Choice 1: Quietly move away for this madman.(end)

Choice 2: Take care of it better next time and maybe you won’t lose it again.(end)

Choice 3: What did you lose Sir? (next)

Galimatia Says, “Look around at my fields. All those dead plants and trees used to live and feed my family. Those flowers! Those used to win awards at the Faire. My bees used feed off of those flowers and make great honey. Folks from as far away as Hurnscald came to buy my honey.”

Choice 1: This guy is boring. I am going to see the big city.(end)

Choice 2: That sounds very bad. Do you know what the cause was?(next)

Galimatia says, “Some say it was a blight that got the plants, but no blight I know kills overnight. Some say, and I agree, that it was Waric sucking the life force of everything around him on his way to Hurncald. If he did that, it is strange that no people or animals were hurt. Even my bees lived, but they moved to other places.”

Choice 1: Waric was here you say? Guess I had better move on.(end)

Choice 2: Have you tried adding fertilize and replanting?(next)

Galimatia says, “Yes to both and many other things as well.”
Choice 1: So there is nothing else you can think of doing? (next)

Galimatia says, “Some of the people from Hurncald have told us of about a local Goddess called Andra outside their city. She has been doing a wonderful job of magicly maintaining the lawn and grassy areas.”

Choice 1: I am on my way to Hurncald (next)

Galimatia says, “Why not speak to her to see if there is anything you can do to get her help for us? I am sure the other farmers and I can get a reward together when you succeed.”

Choice 1: I am on my way to Hurncald anyway, so I will see if I can find her.(next)

Choice 2: Even if I did find her, I am not coming all the way out here.(end)

Seen moves to Andra

Andra:
(The trick is you need to be friendly to andra to get what you need from her)

“Hello my name is Andra! Who are you?”
Choice 1: I am (player name)

Choice 2: You don't need to know*

Choice 3: Leave “goodbye”

*choosing this option will make her offended and she will close the chat

“Well nice to meet you (player name) what has brought you over here?”
Choice 1: Galimatia sent me to get something to heal his flowers.

Choice 2: Im wondering about fertile soil*

*choosing this option will then take you into the fertile soil quest

“What is wrong with his flowers?”
Choice 1: They wont grow

Choice 2: They died

*both choices will allow you to move on

“I think i know an old remedy for that but it will require certain items.”
Choice 1: Im ready

Choice 2: Maybe later

“Okay we will need 10 cactus potions and 1 bottle of water.”
Choice 1: Im still working on it. (end)

Choice 2: What did we need again? (next)

“You will need to bring me 10 cactus potions and 1 bottle of water.”(end)
Choice 3: I have it all! (next)

:Show Andra doing magic and a loud thunder sound effect.

“Here is the potion. When poured into the heart of the land, it will remove any blights or traces of evil remaining on the land.”
Choice 1: Yes, but how will I know where the heart is?(next)

“Ask Galimatia where he goes to relax. It will be the most peaceful place in all the land.”
Choice 1: I thank you for your help and will go to Galimatia with it.

Seen moves back to Galimatia

Galimatia: (Quest symbol overhead) Player clicks on Galimatia and dialog box says,
“Welcome back (player name). On your trip, did you have any success finding Andra?”
Choice 1: Yes, I did find her. The lands around her are are beautiful and she is a Lady of Power, if only she cares for those lands. I asked for her help, but she is unwilling to leave her home.(next)

“So we will get no help from her either?“
Choice 1: Well, she did give me this potion to use on the land. There is no way to be sure it works. After I told her about this place, she thought it would work. If it is to work, it must be placed in “The Heart of the Land” she called it.(next)

“How can we find this place?”

Choice 1: Andra says it was “The most peaceful place in all the land.” The place you might go to relax and think.”

“See that old dead oak? (Old Druid Tree renamed) That was the most beautiful place I know in this land. Of course that was before this evil came here. Under that tree you will find four stones set in rectangle, almost. I used to get some of my best naps there. Go over there and see if you think it is what she meant.”

:I don’t know if this can be done, but i would like the light reduce inside the
:rectangle by 25% or more if needed. They need to see the change please.

Player moves over to tree, looks around and sees the stones. Player moves inside the rectangle and the lights dim. A link in this area, brings up a dialog box.

Pour the potion here?
Choice 1: Yes, pour it here. Andra said Galimatia would know. (next)

Choice 2: No, I want to look around for a better place. I can always come back.(end)

Choice 3: I am so confused. Can I just quit? (end)

:Player pours it in this spot. Light go down 50% more. Lighting strikes (can these
:still be bright?) all four rocks(all at once or in some order), but player untouched.
:After lighting the lights fade back to 100%. Two seconds after that
:a ghost appears labeled “Waric’s Evil”. It move around a bit and then dies.

Seen moves back to Galimatia

“What was it that came up out of the ground?”
Choice 1: It seems Waric left some of his evil behind him. That was the ghost of the evil he left behind(next)

Choice 2: Did you bury any family over there? Or maybe a dog?(end)

“So it is all over?”

Choice 1: I never asked her about after I used ther potion. So I don’t know any more than you.(next)
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: [WIP] Bee farm quest

Post by WildX »

Is this thread to develop into a full quest script or to develop the story alone?

Either way is fine, but if you'd like help turning it into a script I can move it into Dev Academy so I can trial run the section and see if it works for other developers.

TMW Team member

Valentina
Peon
Peon

Post by Valentina »

sure just remember its still a work in progress
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Attachments
beehive.png
beehive.png (1.59 KiB) Viewed 10742 times
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I've made some tweaks to the storyline, also highligted items and mobs we already have available in green and ones we'd need to add in red. This is the main changes I made:
  • Added context.
  • Removed Andra since there's an NPC named Andra but it's too far from this location and will be used for other quests. The quest can work without her.
  • Changed 10 Cactus Potions to 5 Pink Petals since cactus potions are more of a desert item which will be dropped by Tonori mobs.
  • The flowers that the player helps restore now spawn bees as well.
  • Removed part 3 and renumbered successive parts to reduce workload on the quest (we don't have a queen bee).
  • Galimatia's war injury is hard to explain as a reason why she needs help. It's easier to make it so that she just hires the player to help out and will pay for their help with the quest reward.
  • Added environmental concern for killing beehives. #savethebees
  • Added quest rewards.
This is your quest so it's all just suggestions. Let me know what you think and I'll move on to the dialogue.

---

Quest level range: 9-10
Quest reward: Mana Torch (trainee magic wand), Jar of Honey + appropriate money & experience points.
Location: Farm near the western port of Argaes (western woodland).

Part 1

You arrive and get off the boat and walk down a path to a farm where there is a Bee farmer named Galimatia. Her Bees have moved to somewhere else, because his field of flowers has died from a blight. He needs some way to still gather honey to earn his living.

Galimatia needs to tend to other work and can’t get away, so she asks player for some help. She sends player after 5 Pink Petals and 1 Bottle of Water. She makes a Purification Potion to heal the land and gives it to the player and says it must be poured over the land (marked in some way. Like in the Orum and Waric follow-up quest).

Part 2

The land is now healed, but nothing grows. Galimatia is happy the land is well and wants to help. She sends player to get 1 Bottle of Water and 10 Flower Seeds (Grass Seeds renamed) which will drop from Clover Patches. From this she makes a Fertility Potion. Again she gives it to the player and says it must be poured in the same place. Player uses it and new flowers spawn on the land, spawning bees at their side.

Part 3

The fields are in bloom and the Bees hard at work bringing stuff to the Beehives.

Galimatia is thankful for your help and offers to pay you a larger reward if you help her collect honey as well.

Honey is dropped by Beehives. To gather honey from Beehives you must defeat the bees protecting it, which will attack you when you attack their hive. When you defeat the bees, (about 2-3 Bees protecting a hive) you kill the hive and it will supply Honey (some hives don't have Honey and some do - 50% drop rate should do the trick). The hive is a mob just like the pink flowers. Four honey jars complete the quest.

Galimatia reassures you that these are giant bees and they will rebuild their hives quickly so it's not all as cruel as it may seem.

Part 4

Galimatia gives the player their reward: A simple Magic Wand that she uses as a torch to keep angry bees away and a Jar of Honey.

Quest Ends

TMW Team member

Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

Thats a nice plan. I will add the required stuff (beehive, honey item, flower seeds) pretty soon. I propose we locate this quest in the new "arrival map" (west-woodland, 008-1-1, WIP). I will prepare a small area for Galmatia (southwards of the map there will be fog, in the very south there will be rain - I will put Galmatia in the transition area sun-to-fog, near the beach where I have a mountain unused. Remembering south there will be GY, I use more dead trees there, so it makes sense that also the flowers there seem to die). The spot(s) to heal the ground, put the seeds and the water can be all along that border sun-fog. I think about 3 spots right now, if you agree I will prepare them in the map. I post the map as soon as its worth looking at it.

QUOTE I see this as two maps exactly the same except for the flowers. The server checks for the Fertility Potion Flag, when players enter and sends players to the correct land. All exits are the same, unless more quests are added. Pouring it into the land moves you to the other map. UNQUOTE

@gumi can this be simplified? I dont want to have two complete maps for just a couple of flowers.

Beehive will be a mob most probably, similar to the pink flower (which I wasnt able to have proper mob_skills, but that will be solved one time) and with Honey Bees instead of normal Bees. (Funny fact, honey bees do sting, whereas most of the wild bee varieties dont sting at all). Making the Beehive a mob is also good as we can spawn some of them at the right time (when flowers are back and queen bee is convinced), and they will re-spawn when player harvests them.

Queen Bee: I like the plan. We could, for example, use the bee sprites and make it an NPC, or I prepare a static NPC called Bee Queen, using a bee and making it just a bit bigger.

Once I have some art progress I will inform you so we can work on bringing this in game as one of the first quests once player arrives in west woodland.
Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

Bumping this because we have the basics prepared for this quest. Please inform if you still want to help doing this. Thanks :)
Yours,
- Mick
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Micksha wrote: 25 Nov 2018, 12:27 Bumping this because we have the basics prepared for this quest. Please inform if you still want to help doing this. Thanks :)
Yours,
- Mick
Just want to add that this is open to anyone since the OP hasn't been active on the forums in a few months. Any piece of contribution is welcome.

TMW Team member

Moebird
Peon
Peon

Post by Moebird »

Micksha wrote: 27 May 2018, 11:37
QUOTE I see this as two maps exactly the same except for the flowers. The server checks for the Fertility Potion Flag, when players enter and sends players to the correct land. All exits are the same, unless more quests are added. Pouring it into the land moves you to the other map. UNQUOTE

@gumi can this be simplified? I dont want to have two complete maps for just a couple of flowers.
When we wrote this, we had only a very limited idea of what the map would be. So we were aware that the quest would be changed to FiT the map. If the map change is a problem, then it needs to change.
Moebird
Peon
Peon

Post by Moebird »

Since I got no response to the last post, let me try this.

@gumi can this be simplified? I don't want to have two complete maps for just a couple of flowers.

We thought Galimatia's farm would be on a small map of its own, but as you have it on a big map, I see why that isn't reasonable.

We had plans for a second tie in quest once, this firmed up and so we needed more than a few flowers to be left at the end of this quest. A weekly quest(could be daily i guess) starting at level 25?

Idea is that you go back later and harvest flowers for Galimatia to sell to Blossom. Using only a bladed weapon or #chipchip. If anything else was used to harvest or to many flowers were taken, ALL the bees would attack. Whatever flowers used would drop:

Blue Rose (668)
Orange Rose (667)
Yellow Rose (665)
Pink Rose (664)
Dark Red Rose (663)
White Rose (662)
Red Rose (661)

So. What can be done to make this still possible?

There was also very vague idea of the player taking the flowers to Blossom, because Galimatia cannot, as the next follow on.
Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

Hey Moebird :) I was just up to reply, but didnt have time yet, sorry.

So, I thought to put the quest into the map where player first arrives in Woodland, its a new map (008-1-1) you may visit on test server already. There are many spots that can be used, also beehives are already there - they spawn bees when player kills them. I need to make another bee variety to be aggressive, but that will be done quick.

I propose to make the areas nice and to add the NPCs for Blossom and Galmatia in the first spot, so you can start preparing the script and we can add the content as required (I tried to add some things like beehive already, but I prefer to add exactly what will be needed as I got no good idea what can be realized in the scripts, talking about the fertility potions and stuff).

So, as per myself - lets do little steps, I am not pro enough to tell you what exactly can be done, nor how it can be done, so even on my side it will be kinda trial-and-error style of adding content.

Yours,
- Mick
Moebird
Peon
Peon

Post by Moebird »

Micksha wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 19:25
I propose to make the areas nice and to add the NPCs for Blossom and Galmatia in the first spot, so you can start preparing the script and we can add the content as required (I tried to add some things like beehive already, but I prefer to add exactly what will be needed as I got no good idea what can be realized in the scripts, talking about the fertility potions and stuff).

So, as per myself - lets do little steps, I am not pro enough to tell you what exactly can be done, nor how it can be done, so even on my side it will be kinda trial-and-error style of adding content.
Hello Micksha

Sorry to be so long, but i was not expecting a quick reply :oops:

I am not the the right person if by "script" you mean Lua script. Valentina was was willing to try that I believe, but the computer broke, last i heard. So I hope for a return, but I don't plan on it.

As for the text we wrote, we knew that changes would be needed. We wrote it as two kids believing anything was possible. You seem to be doing a lot of what we wanted, so i would be happy to work with you to come up with something we both can be proud of. When (if) Valentina returns i hope to return control.

I do hope this helps.

Moebird

Edit starts here

10 Cactus Potions and 1 Bottle of Water for the Purification Potion. Now that we start to know what the drops on the map will be, i want to change what is needed to what can be gotten on our local map. Are we to that point yet? I can suggest things to add as well, if that helps.

Went to the test server and feel where the beehives are would work very well as Galmatia's farm and the spot 140, 54 would work as the heart of the farm, so imho you have done very well in setting a great starting place. Setting Galmatia near the benches, but on the farm seems a good idea too as Galmatia needs to be seen as people pass.

I will start rewriting this so only Galmatia is effected, but a few dead trees there as well as the flowers can not hurt.

With respect, Moebird
Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

Update:

Now all items, NPCs, graphics etc. should be available, you should be able to have a look at it on test server, map 008-1-1, 113, 59 (location of Galimatia NPC, the flowers are near her).

Mainly script works are missing, I will try to prepare something whenever I have time.

Yours,
-Mick

Edit: As I like peek so much, here is "Planting flowers":
planting flowers.gif
planting flowers.gif (1.71 MiB) Viewed 9894 times
Moebird
Peon
Peon

Post by Moebird »

Well done Micksha :D

I do love the growing flower, they are much better than I could hope for. Galimatia looks good too, with the movement. Some changes will need to be made to Galimatia's words or to the map, but i think it to early to worry about that.

Micksha said: Mainly script works are missing, I will try to prepare something whenever I have time.

If you have an example of "script works" that can be used to do this, I could fill in the text we have, if it would help you.

I am happy with what you have done and the speed(seems fast to me :shock: ) that you do it.

With respect,
Moebird
Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

Hi Moebird,

time is relative :) ofc I do what I can, to really speed up the works it would be so helpful if we had more people to join the development.
That is, I would be so happy if you could try working on the script. Here is the link to the diff: https://gitlab.com/evol/serverdata/merg ... /146/diffs - scroll down, you will find the current scripts for Galimatia and Blossom (along with stuff you dont have to care about).

I believe once you have a gitlab account and join the team (perhaps we have to accept you :wink: ), you may just use the "edit" button on top of the relevant script and make your changes online.
If you need examples for functions or something, feel free to check existing evol scripts here: https://gitlab.com/evol/serverdata/tree ... /npc/001-1

Would be so cool if we find a workflow for helpers which doesnt need much expertise, especially for little things like dialogues it may be very helpful.

If you need anything, just contact me. Also feel free to use the IRC channel: #evol-dev on freenode.

Thanks and keep it up!

- Mick