[WIP] Rowboat

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Re: [WIP] Rowboat

Post by Micksha »

Hey, thanks for comments - I know its a bit too much, but it was hard to get the required row angles.. also, when rowing with power in such a boat I really stand up in that phase to get the oars deeper into water ;) but I will reduce. It will take a while until we have the script ready so it can be used, so I am not in a hurry.
btw EJlol, when you have a revised boat for n/s direction I would be happy to use it ;)

Edit: I fixed most of it, but too lazy to prepare a gif :)
tomminator
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tomminator »

i tried mickshas boat in game, i think it looks pretty good!

https://imgur.com/a/zX8IqJq
This is not a placeholder
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

That looks really, really awesome. :D

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Micksha wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 13:34 So, for now here a little link with the rowboat, now live on test server ;)
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/364798670
I wonder if 4 diagonal frames could make the animation smoother? Would that be enough or would it need more work than that?

TMW Team member

Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

The boat sprites would be ok to make probably, but how would it look like when the boat goes diagonal but the player sprite doesnt?
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Good point. It's good anyway. There's so many possibilities now for maps with rivers, lakes and water of any kind.

TMW Team member

HaloNott

Post by HaloNott »

I think it looks great. Especially the jumping row motion. :lol:

Maybe you should add more colour and decorate the boat. Add a cushy seat so we can sit on it. :mrgreen: Add a treasure chest. And several bottles. An umbrella?

Maybe also a frog at the stern. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Baby attempt
Baby attempt
hehehe (the mana world)-1.png.png (5.17 KiB) Viewed 4856 times
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Edited the rowboat. I have stolen the metal rings from Micksha, Added some 'texture' to the untextured wood, changed some shadow parts slightly, added some Algae to the bottom, and dropped the ship into the water.

I also copied some parts of the rowboat to make it so that if the rowboat is used on a map, you can actually sit inside the rowboat (not tested, so it might need some adjustment). Problably not useful though, as you cannot really board the rowboat.

Attachments
rowboat_b.png
rowboat_b.png (1.71 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
rowboat_a.png
rowboat_a.png (3.42 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Unless you are warped inside it, I guess

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

HaloNott

Post by HaloNott »

It can't be that difficult to make a normal animation for it.
(Crawl, sit, crawl, sit and you're in the boat) But I think Mana world should have a distinct style so people come back to it.

Maybe you can make it so you need to turn into a skeleton to take the boat.

Or maybe a pirate? Or a pirate skeleton? And they just get into the boat after vanishing into smoke?

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

One of my biggest peeves is when background is added to sprite sheets. In this case, adding water to the boat animation may look cool for ripple effects, but it makes the boat not able to be drug onto land or be taken into a different coloured water.

HaloNott wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 16:31

Or maybe a pirate? Or a pirate skeleton? And they just get into the boat after vanishing into smoke?

I laughed here because this game has places where we go inside a building but end up outside on the next map erasing all logic. I agree if this is sarcasm.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

HaloNott

Post by HaloNott »

Maybe add some humor or make those bugs a part of the game. It is a simplest fix.

I'd say try rainbow water or just a water spray or give the water a hue, but I've said these types of solutions before.

You could try getting people to go on a bug hunt lol. See how many glitches they find hehe.

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Ledmitz wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 16:08

One of my biggest peeves is when background is added to sprite sheets. In this case, adding water to the boat animation may look cool for ripple effects, but it makes the boat not able to be drug onto land or be taken into a different coloured water.

HaloNott wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 16:31

I laughed here because this game has places where we go inside a building but end up outside on the next map erasing all logic. I agree if this is sarcasm.

You are completely right. The reason why I added the background is that the boat goes a little bit into the water, and still (even though they are just a few pixels) visible, but in a blueish hue. Without this it would look out of place. This is also done on the Artis tileset with other things in the water (walls, wooden pole's etc). I could use 50% opacity pixels to get a sort of same effect though, but I prefer to use the same palette, and using pixels with 50% opacity for example wouldn't look so good. Therefore this boat can only be used in the water of Artis. Other colors of water (or as you pointed out dragging a boat on shore) would require alternative tiles. Personally I don't mind adding more alternative tiles, as this makes the game look better.

HaloNott

Post by HaloNott »

Hmm I remember the land title set I edited had a lot of these pixels that had so little difference you they were practically the same colour. I made all the ones you couldn't tell apart the same colour. In the end with about ten clicks you could change the entire tileset's colour.

Perhaps something like that would be useful to do here. Then you could change the tileset colours much more easily and whenever you like.

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

HaloNott wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 16:23

or just a water spray

Not for this one, but possible future, is it possible there could be 100% transparent BG, but like HaloNott said, just the effects in a neutral shade, rather than a colour? It would be so much more versatile. I just remember indoor windows with a BG that already existed in other tiles in the same tile set for some maps. Those ones just seemed silly, but this one may be needed to look right... IDK.