What are you using to heat yourself in winter?

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.

What are you using to heat yourself in your home?

Gas burner
31%
Kerosene burner
No votes
Geothermal plant
No votes
Fireplace
No votes
Stove
8%
Rocket stove
No votes
Electrical heater
23%
Solar heater
No votes
Other system not listed
38%

Total votes: 13
Livio
Warrior
Warrior

What are you using to heat yourself in winter?

Post by Livio »

Damn I'm curious. Those days alternative heat sources are going to become interesting.
Pawneeboy
Novice
Novice

Re: What are you using to heat yourself in winter?

Post by Pawneeboy »

1 electric tower heater and a small plug directly into the outlet type...

(Oh yeah HVAC....but my office and a guest bedroom has older 4" duct work going to them, so those are the places that I need the heaters for...)
Last edited by Pawneeboy on 10 Nov 2019, 18:57, edited 2 times in total.
I'm John H., Tom Foolery, Dresden (not German), King Fisher, Clay, John Frost and Preacher. :alt-6: :alt-7:
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

It's summer in this part of world :D

When the coldest is 15°C, an extra Coat is suffice ^^

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Central heating which uses a gas burner. My house is one last houses build with a gas burner. Nearly all the houses here use this system. In the future (hopefully over 20 years or more...) I most likely have to change to electric (heat pump).

The government wants to stop with gas burners cause there are to many earthquakes near the fields where we pump the gas out of the ground. The climate isn't really an issue here, just the earthquakes.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Electric wall-mounted heater + small electric heater for extra support. No gas in this place.

The apartment downstairs has been empty for the past 6 months or so and I never realised how much colder your own place gets if the downstairs is empty and constantly around 10 degrees. My heating is pretty much always on if I'm at home and it's only early November :<

TMW Team member

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

This is what actually serves both hot water and house heating by using methane gas. It's mounted on the kitchen wall and sometimes I can hear noises of animals inside its exhaust pipe (maybe lizards or mice who knows...)
The mode selector knob sometimes got defective and enables heating even when is put into OFF mode.
Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

So it seems that none of you uses a rocket stove. Are you living in towns and you find buying or gathering wood unworthy?
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Livio wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 07:27 So it seems that none of you uses a rocket stove. Are you living in towns and you find buying or gathering wood unworthy?
No, we simply to not wish to die from carbon monoxide poisoning :lol:
Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

Matt wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 16:45 No, we simply to not wish to die from carbon monoxide poisoning :lol:
Any heat source that uses chemical oxidation reactions (burns some fuel) makes both carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2), some nitrogenous oxides (NOx) and some soot depending on many factors including kind of fuel, burner technology and exhaust temperature. If you are worried about dieing poisoned you better use solar, geothermal or electrical sources (nuclear sources discarded of course).

A rocket stove is simply a vertical tube with lateral refueling intake that uses the conventional movement of air created by heat to sustain burning. Has this name due to the noise it makes. It's exhaust temperature is higher and it's fuel consumption lower than a regular stove since the inside airspeed is higher and fuel got burned in a more uniform way and in a slightly high temperature.
Since it's exhaust temperature is high some people use to install exhaust pipes diagonally around buildings to spread heat in a more efficient way and it's soot production is surprisingly lower since fuel particles that haven't combusted correctly got burned along the exhaust path. That lowers ashes production too.
Since it doesn't makes a visible smoke it's reported as an improvised construction of similar heating device even in the US Army survival manual (the FM-96-16 if I remember correctly).

The downside of this kind of stoves is that are not practical or even possible to cook directly on flames or ashes. People who use those stoves to cook use a metal plate above a shortened and enlarged exhaust pipe.
Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

There are articles in Wikipedia too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_stove
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Livio wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 10:42 If you are worried about dieing poisoned you better use solar, geothermal or electrical sources (nuclear sources discarded of course).
Cancel his order for nuclear heater he was going to gift Livio on his birthday

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Livio wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 10:42
Matt wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 16:45 No, we simply to not wish to die from carbon monoxide poisoning :lol:
Any heat source that uses chemical oxidation reactions (burns some fuel) makes both carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2), some nitrogenous oxides (NOx) and some soot depending on many factors including kind of fuel, burner technology and exhaust temperature. If you are worried about dieing poisoned you better use solar, geothermal or electrical sources (nuclear sources discarded of course).
The difference with a rocket stove, and a gas burner is the place where they receive the oxygen from. A gas burner has a separate tube to receive oxygen and the burning system is a closed of system. If the exhaust pipe or the intake pipe gets clogged, the burner will simply stop working. Whatever happens the fumes should not be able to go inside your room. Now with the rocket stove if the exhaust pipe get clogged, the exhaust fumes have nowhere to go but towards the intake, and they end up in the same room as you are... :roll:
Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

Well, you are right. But gas burners are dangerous as well when maintenance is not correctly done and a clogged exhaust pipe will not reduce the amount of fuel gas leaked. Stove pipes, in the same condition, tends to work less and make a more visible smoke compared to the one of a failing gas burner but instead raising the risk of breathing carbon monoxide they tend to increase the risk of fire.
To me regular stove and fireplaces are more dangerous of both gas burners and rocket stoves since they tend to accumulate soot due to their low exhaust temperature.

Oh, by the way, if you have a particular heater post the photos! :D
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Mine just looks like a boring box from the outside. So instead here is the installation manual that contains drawings of the inside, and all the other interesting parts (in dutch though):
https://www.intergas-verwarming.nl/wp-c ... 004404.pdf