Image compression

Web discussions, including project website, forums, wiki, and others.

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Image compression

Post by Livio »

I didn't noticed that before (probably because I've joined forum too late) but I see that many pictures are hosted here but there's no size limit notice as in CRC Guild forums.
Has this forum server unlimited space for images or it simply delete it after some time?

Many pictures are in JPG format, for CRC guild site I usually use PNG format with max compression and reduced palette. Still, screenshots of a small screen doesn't produce so much data after all...
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: Image compression

Post by jesusalva »

Livio wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 21:39 I didn't noticed that before (probably because I've joined forum too late) but I see that many pictures are hosted here but there's no size limit notice as in CRC Guild forums.
Has this forum server unlimited space for images or it simply delete it after some time?

Many pictures are in JPG format, for CRC guild site I usually use PNG format with max compression and reduced palette. Still, screenshots of a small screen doesn't produce so much data after all...
My personal favorite, which I just add support here overnight, is WebP. This image format was authored by google and can beat PNG in a 8:1 ratio (with PNG compression!). WebP also supports transparency.

A screenshot of 1.7MB on PNG will be trimmed to mere 200 KB if you use JPG.

As for ourselves.
We do limit screenshots to 3MB, but we do not further compress them.
Images are kept forever (in theory), even if you remove/edit the post which added them.
But we reserve ourselves the right to visit attachment reports etc. and remove images if the VM needs space.
(However, we have backups which can be deleted first)

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.