swimming

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

ksso
Novice
Novice

swimming

Post by ksso »

Hi

A proposal for a far away quest when it is possible. About water bodies, so right now they work like walls and nothing happens.
To increase difficulty the water bodies drown player when try to crossing it or by mistake by falling on it.
To be able to survive, player could do some quests that are not loot collect type activity, rather memory, tap or thinking activity. Upon the level it reached, it could enhance swimming skill: drown, survived but loss hp, float, swim, swim better, dive, olympics games, etc :)

some option with different hard levels maybe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_crossing_puzzle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_(card_game)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_(game)

edite: typo

Last edited by ksso on 06 Sep 2020, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: swimming

Post by jesusalva »

Simon is actually easy to implement (in rEvolt, a flat out impossible for TMWA). The others are not :p

(Memory game is hard because M+)

Oh, and swimming itself is difficult on any engine. Probably impossible on tmwa, but in Hercules/Evol2 might be able to add to plugin the capability to fire a timer once you move on water and to stop it when you leave

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

ksso
Novice
Novice

Post by ksso »

Nice!

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

By the way, I coded a simple sequence ("simon®") game on Moubootaur Legends (right now) (because I was bored)

Took me two hours to finish, including placeholder art :p

Serverdata: https://gitlab.com/TMW2/serverdata/-/co ... 5d510a69ee
Clientdata: https://gitlab.com/TMW2/clientdata/-/co ... 9e5c71eca5

Obviously it need some severe polishing for rEvolt + deciding if we want it, where we want it, what will be the reward for it, etc...

Spoiler:
Example
Example
TMW2 Online_Screenshot_127.0.0.1_2020-09-06_14-29-29_1.png (351.98 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
Last edited by jesusalva on 06 Sep 2020, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Screenshot

Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

ksso
Novice
Novice

Post by ksso »

Nice!
btw, how you get to dimond's cave
also, nice the chars are zoomed in or framed with the conversation, that will happen at revolts,? i guess
there is a way to zoom in all map? for instance I want to see bigger my char (or that could be a suggestion) and obviously less map available?

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

There's should be a "zoom" option in video settings but never worked for me. I believe that you will look even smaller at above HD resolution.

ksso
Novice
Novice

Post by ksso »

Just ideas (i'm not dev) but may be try to move like in shallow water, so just as normal walking but slower, and a little lower (with the char height from the chest or upper legs), and for the water maybe use some effect like the mist of asphodel moor and the moving features like the hammocks in the ship (that sometimes moves when char passes). But are just ideas. Thank you! :)

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Swimming would require even more player sprites, possibly a lot since there's a lot of movement involved. That usually creates an exponential burden on artitsts because with every new sprite you must then draw equipment to match. HOWEVER I can see walking speed changes based on terrain possibly working. This would actually be a very nice gameplay element and much easier to implement. Slower in mud or sand, faster on ice. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm personally not a fan of minigames like Simon in RPGs because they impose an unrelated task upon me which usually just iterrupts my adventuring. "Oh no there's a minigame" is a reaction I see a lot, but I may be wrong as to how most people feel about it.

TMW Team member

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Actually, while actual swimming would require more sprites, a BfW approach would only need M+ changes (which might be less likely than getting the player sheet changed).

In case you never saw BfW, the water only covers the lower half of the player (the bottom 32px in our case). That is shallow water, which you could walk over; Deep water requires a boat.

ksso
Novice
Novice

Post by ksso »

;)

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

jesusalva wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 20:09

Actually, while actual swimming would require more sprites, a BfW approach would only need M+ changes (which might be less likely than getting the player sheet changed).

In case you never saw BfW, the water only covers the lower half of the player (the bottom 32px in our case). That is shallow water, which you could walk over; Deep water requires a boat.

If you ever played "Earthbound" at the swamp level you will find there two different depth tiles where at the first only half body is shown and at the second depth is even more: only the hat is show and if left there for too much time the player starts losing hp.

Clort
Peon
Peon

Post by Clort »

Swimming without redoing sprites could just display above-waist in shallow water and only head (or head+shoulders) in deep water (i.e. not transparent water)

Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

Hey, on rEvolt I already made shallow water - transparent, and in fringe, so you see the top part of the player normal, and feet and such behind blue with some 60% opacity. Walking slower in water would be cool, though.. this would be a question for Jes.
"Real" swimming; from the art side - it could make people drown and die if they have something equipped (ever tried to swim with armor, with an iron sword in your hand, or even with woolen robe equipped?), so in order to swim we may tell players they have to be naked ;)

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

Micksha wrote: 13 May 2021, 09:09

Hey, on rEvolt I already made shallow water - transparent, and in fringe, so you see the top part of the player normal, and feet and such behind blue with some 60% opacity.

Very nice!

Walking slower in water would be cool, though.. this would be a question for Jes.

Jes doesn't care: he walks on water.

"Real" swimming; from the art side - it could make people drown and die if they have something equipped (ever tried to swim with armor, with an iron sword in your hand, or even with woolen robe equipped?), so in order to swim we may tell players they have to be naked ;)

Naah, better not make graphics just for swimming for now. As for equipment: it could bring various penalties too if wet. An iron armor getting rusty, wool sweaters adding weight, or just a general walking speed penalty just to bring this feature up quickly.
What about a sorcerer robe being completely transparent like a wet shirt?
AFK players chilling out in Hurnscald pond.