[WIP] Bee farm quest

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: [WIP] Bee farm quest

Post by WildX »

Just a sidenote to help Micksha's recruitment drive:

If you want to practice your scripting with some advice from devs or anyone else with experience, I suggest opening a thread in the Dev Academy section and posting your progress there. It will get more attention outside of the specific quest thread and might even be useful at some point as a tutorial for anybody else looking to get started with development. :)

TMW Team member

Moebird
Peon
Peon

Post by Moebird »

Micksha wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 15:15 Hi Moebird,

time is relative :) ofc I do what I can, to really speed up the works it would be so helpful if we had more people to join the development.
That is, I would be so happy if you could try working on the script. Here is the link to the diff: https://gitlab.com/evol/serverdata/merg ... /146/diffs - scroll down, you will find the current scripts for Galimatia and Blossom (along with stuff you dont have to care about).
I sent you one working off of Blossom.txt, just inputting Blossom chat. After that I look at https://gitlab.com/evol/serverdata/tree ... /npc/001-1 as you suggest and looked at a few files that showed me some things i knew could be done, without a clue how. So that is a good suggestion, hope to show improvement on Galimatia.txt. After that one i will get out of the way and let you work your magic. :)
Micksha wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 15:15 Would be so cool if we find a workflow for helpers which doesnt need much expertise, especially for little things like dialogues it may be very helpful.

If you need anything, just contact me. Also feel free to use the IRC channel: #evol-dev on freenode.
To be very honest, i am playing. :D I hope what I do does not slow you to much, but if it helps any, that is good too. I have no real hope of doing anything constructive on this part, but it keeps me busy.

Maybe setup a series of in game rewards for completed tasks of any helpers here? Just tossing out a thought. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help and encouragement,
Moe
SpeedDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by SpeedDuck »

Hi,

I think that since this quest gives a wand and is somewhat difficult to complete, that the wand should be better than the one Morgan gives and worse than the staff. Perhaps requiring 20 INT and giving 30 DMG and 20 MA? :D

- SpeedDuck
Join the Duck Side!

SpeedDuck -> dangerDuck -> TinyToes -> Vladimir Putin -> LeggoLass -> Calithildor_Elderon
Moebird
Peon
Peon

Post by Moebird »

SpeedDuck wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 01:31 Hi,

I think that since this quest gives a wand and is somewhat difficult to complete, that the wand should be better than the one Morgan gives and worse than the staff. Perhaps requiring 20 INT and giving 30 DMG and 20 MA? :D

- SpeedDuck
Thanks for the input. On the testing :D server things are a little different then what you might be used to. This quest has changed(improved i hope) from what we first offered and still is changing as things get nailed down. Right now we are looking to the "Training Wand". The wand can not be used until lvl 10(right now anyway). The Wand is rated attack +75. That is what I know, others will know more.

If you want to be in the coding of this quest, Mick would love to have your help. :D I can PM the working text we have right now, if needed.

On the testing server, the map 008-1-1 is being used for this quest, and you can see what is started there.

I hope some of this helped,
Moebird
SpeedDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by SpeedDuck »

Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks for the information. I'd forgotten that this is on the new server with rebalanced stats. :alt-0:

- SpeedDuck
Join the Duck Side!

SpeedDuck -> dangerDuck -> TinyToes -> Vladimir Putin -> LeggoLass -> Calithildor_Elderon
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

This is the first wand the player receives, the quest is level 9-10 and is the first chance for players who want to be mages to ditch their swords and pick up magic items. @Micksha: we should discuss a way to introduce the player to magic skills after they finish this quest, they shouldn't be sent to Hurnscald without a chance to start building their chosen class.

Item stats are probably going to be the last thing. I imagine there will be a testing session for player stats first to nail down a good balance that works even with groups of players, then items would be tuned accordingly. Developing quests like this one helps give us some gameplay to test stats with.
Moebird wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 01:21 Maybe setup a series of in game rewards for completed tasks of any helpers here? Just tossing out a thought. :mrgreen:
It's not a "series" of rewards, but you do get a contributor shirt and join the contributor group after a substantial contribution. New server rewards are even cooler than the old contributor shirt, we have magical cookies! 8)

TMW Team member

Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

Hi,
I will post general things about the completely new skill system we have somewhere else.
To focus to the thread of this post: The reward will be a wand. Right now we have two wands on test server - Training Wand and Mana Torch. They right now have dummy values for att and m.att., but the point is - as soon as they are equipped, the player is able to use a "magic" skill. The Training Wand provides a healing spell lvl1, the Mana Torch provides a explosive (=area) fireball attack lvl1 (spells can only be used when the wand is equipped, and they cant be levelled up). Perhaps we let the player choose which one he wants to receive? Also, the basic plan was to use crude gemstones as "cards" - like this, we can have a "neutral" wand, and depending on the gemstone added it will provide a specific spell.. For now I propose we leave the choice between the two, and the next magic item will be able to be modified with a gemstone. (ofc all just ideas, it is open source and community project so everybody is invited to participate and share ideas).

Dont stick too much on the Legacy systems. For example, I am not yet sure if we will put limitations to use items in terms of base stats. It just wont make much sense to use a heavy two-hand weapon if you have not much STR, or to use a wand respectively magic spells consuming much SP when you dont have much INT.. we will have level restrictions to everything, but to me, further issues seems to be a matter of testing and getting used to new gameplay.

Any issues about helping or contributing I will prepare something on dev academy soon - for now feel free to contact me directly, in forums, via PM, ingame, on IRC freenode #evol-dev or so.

-Mick
Moebird
Peon
Peon

Post by Moebird »

WildX wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 10:28 This is the first wand the player receives, the quest is level 9-10 and is the first chance for players who want to be mages to ditch their swords and pick up magic items. @Micksha: we should discuss a way to introduce the player to magic skills after they finish this quest, they shouldn't be sent to Hurnscald without a chance to start building their chosen class.
We have this in the quest right now: Galimatia: “First, you need to find your inner magic. Everyone has some magic in them. The key is to perceive it and then learn how to use it. Since this is a personal matter, I cannot say what will work best for you."

We can send them somewhere, if needed.
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

I have open an issue on GitLab so this doesn't gets lost by accident: https://gitlab.com/evol/evol-all/issues/62

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Livio has made a initial draft for this quest:
https://gitlab.com/evol/serverdata/-/merge_requests/271

It has been merged and will be finished, hopefully, in contentIII super MR.

Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

I believe that quest script needs monsters spawning part, items and map coordinates corrected and dialogues enhanced.
Actually I'm stuck with it since I have almost no experience with both git and hercules. I've followed the comments inside the script and not this thread to make it. Quest parts number differs from script ones for technical reasons but plot has been followed as close as possible.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Livio wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 16:57

I believe that quest script needs monsters spawning part, items and map coordinates corrected and dialogues enhanced.
Actually I'm stuck with it since I have almost no experience with both git and hercules. I've followed the comments inside the script and not this thread to make it. Quest parts number differs from script ones for technical reasons but plot has been followed as close as possible.

I've already tackled a fair share of them on contentIII, except for the monster spawning part and the daily (repeatable) honey collecting quest.

Also WIP, is Blossom, who could exchange the grass seeds for flower seeds.

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

As per https://gitlab.com/evol/evol-all/-/issu ... _157645723 I'm posting an update about Galimatia quest.
As I've stated in the old post the plot follows the comments I've found in that script (comment got split for any quest part inside the code).
Quest is now quite complete and Jesusalva implemented monster spawning at fertilized field.
Dialogues could be improved and while correcting bugs in libquest.txt (a library of mine to provide generic functions for recurrent questing needs) I've introduced more "thoughts" that your player may have if attempts to pour the potions in the wrong place.
I was trying to make Galimatia pissed off at you if you try to pour the potion on her but npctalk returned error (FAKE_NPC something)...
As for main plot I believe that is possible to make variations if necessary.