The mistery behind Irene Christina

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Livio
Warrior
Warrior

The mistery behind Irene Christina

Post by Livio »

Before doing any questions I know that maybe I'm asking information about a sensitive topic.
Feel free not to answer if you believe that's the case.

I've noticed some months ago a filename inside music update archive file of one of those servers in manaplus server lists named "Irene.ogg" (probably this one: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8210&p=67783&hilit=irene#p67783). Can't remember how it sounded but probably just like one of those BGM you can find even in legacy server (probably "faith.ogg" but I'm not sure).
I was going around Tulimshar and got into Omar's house. The note above the piano reported:
~ Irene Christina ~
The song in this house is dedicated to Irene.

She had seen only twenty hours of this world when she died in her father's arms.
Debug window reported music as "faith.ogg".
Omar refuses any kind of help is offered him to heal Kadiya: asking Elanore, moving Kadiya to the Hurnscald hospital and even offering other kind of help.
Last but not least there is a guard right outside of his home saying "You wouldn't believe the refuse that comes in from the docks." Omar claims to be a oil and spice trader.

Now, knowing that NPCs in legacy TMW never used surnames I believe that Irene Christina really exists but I've found nothing by searching.

What's Irene's story and why she is mentioned in TMW?
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: The mistery behind Irene Christina

Post by jesusalva »

https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... 3aba458dd5

npc/001-4_Omars_house/dedication.txt (15/09/2009, authored by KageJittai - aka. Kage)

Omar already existed by then, when he got a new house this dedication was done. So this “Irene Christina” probably is not related to Omar and Kadiya's story. (Which has been a WIP since way before this)

Since then his house has moved to several map IDs (001-4, then 001-2, and finally 002-2). In the far he had a whole map ID for himself, but seems like it was merged with other houses; I would not be surprised if in a reckless map ID moving the music had changed.

You can see the original map in: https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-cl ... a1f0a32e39

And yes, as you can see, this dedication was writen by Kage and the original sound is peace.ogg, composed by Doulos. The later hasn't been seen since 2010 on forums, the former has been away for a year or so.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Hello. Jesusalva contacted me on discord to get more information on this.

So Irene Christina was the daughter of Doulos, who composed the Irene/Peace song. I think he also wrote many of the other songs for TMW. She died shortly after she was born, as described in the dedication. If I recall correctly (it was 10 years ago) the event was the inspiration for the song and the author wished it to be included in the game as part of his daughter's legacy. It was the developers at the time idea to include the additional dedication NPC when we learned the history of the song.

Hope this clears up the mystery behind the name.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

Well, it's hard to understand since you enter Omar's house, find Kadiya in bad shape and his father refusing to heal her.
Those who doesn't know the game may think that Omar doesn't give a damn about her daughters' life.
Don't know if Doulos plays this game anymore but I think that the piano should be moved in a better place in the future.
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Livio wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 15:50 Well, it's hard to understand since you enter Omar's house, find Kadiya in bad shape and his father refusing to heal her.
Those who doesn't know the game may think that Omar doesn't give a damn about her daughters' life.
I think only LoF ever finished this quest. In main server, it has been a WIP since... way before the dedication was added.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Archios
Peon
Peon

Post by Archios »

Imo faith.ogg is one of the best songs I've ever heard, it brings so many good memories!
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Searching for info on peace.ogg found me this link, which in it, Doulos describes the music was made for a play that never happened. IDK anything about the rest though:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8210&p=67763&hilit=peace.ogg#p67763

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak