Time Traveler's sprite - Wrong layer?

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Speiros
Novice
Novice
Location: Born in Candor, living as a nomad around Tulimshar and Woodland areas.

Time Traveler's sprite - Wrong layer?

Post by Speiros »

I noticed that the Time Traveler, just West of Tulimshar, the one that opens up Old Tulimshar Beach, is on a different layer to the other sprites.

_

Let me help you understand pirate talk.
Arrrr!!! (The letter "R", and any other sentence or emotion imaginable, excepting the following ones); Arrrr!!! (angry "R"); Arrrr!!! (relaxed "Aaahh"); Arrrr!!! ("Man Overboard! Quick! Grab the ropes! Loosen the raft!"); Arrrr!!! ("What a lovely day! Sun shining..."); Arrrr!!! ("Oh no. Looks like more rain. Are our garments dry? Can we stop using them as a secondary sail yet?")
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Time Traveler's sprite - Wrong layer?

Post by gumi »

The time traveler is placed in the Fringe layer, which is the same layer in which all players and NPCs are drawn. The Fringe layer is special in that the draw order depends on the position of the player so it allows you to stand both in front and behind an object. If the sprite was put in Over (or any layer above Fringe) it would always display on top of the player and if it was in Ground (or any frame below Fringe) it would always display under the player

Speiros
Novice
Novice
Location: Born in Candor, living as a nomad around Tulimshar and Woodland areas.

Post by Speiros »

gumi wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 17:03

The time traveler is placed in the Fringe layer, which is the same layer in which all players and NPCs are drawn. The Fringe layer is special in that the draw order depends on the position of the player so it allows you to stand both in front and behind an object. If the sprite was put in Over (or any layer above Fringe) it would always display on top of the player and if it was in Ground (or any frame below Fringe) it would always display under the player

Thanks Gumi. I might be wrong then as to where it is placed. What is happening is that when the map view is changed, the Time Traveler disappears, as opposed to other NPC's who stay for some time.

_

Arrrr!!! (The letter "R", and any other sentence or emotion imaginable, excepting the following ones); Arrrr!!! (angry "R"); Arrrr!!! (relaxed "Aaahh"); Arrrr!!! ("Man Overboard! Quick! Grab the ropes! Loosen the raft!"); Arrrr!!! ("What a lovely day! Sun shining..."); Arrrr!!! ("Oh no. Looks like more rain. Are our garments dry? Can we stop using them as a secondary sail yet?")
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Speiros wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 23:29
gumi wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 17:03

Thanks Gumi. I might be wrong then as to where it is placed. What is happening is that when the map view is changed, the Time Traveler disappears, as opposed to other NPC's who stay for some time.

Other NPCs are NPCs but that one is a map tile :alt-8:

Devs rarely (ie. Never) test how map looks when using an ultra mode. But then even normal modes have bugs, so.....

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Speiros
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros »

Aha! No worries :)

_