Battle system, somekind of idea/solution

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Bear
Warrior
Warrior

Battle system, somekind of idea/solution

Post by Bear »

If anyone has played Maple Story, ever wonder how they can attack the Air?
Magick
Novice
Novice

Post by Magick »

Elven put something on so you cant attack unless your attacking a monster. That way it saves traffic. I dont really like it cause sometimes i like randomly hitting elven on top of the head with my sword...but i guess i will have to find some other way to bug him :) ;)
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

the point of my post is...

If you ever played Maple Story, you can attack the AIR, and you dont lag. So my thought was maybe we can try to do it like them.

They dont seem to lag :l
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

Last time I played Maple Story it lagged alot... maybe because it was the beta...

Well anyway, maybe you should have the attacking air as an emote?
So it will just be an animation. I don't know if that will help the server or anything but it sounds good to me... :?
I love you too. :)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

It's pretty the same because you have to send a packet with starting animation info or starting attack action, well they're the same
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

how about if you attack air, but dont hit anything, the server just doesn't relay the stuff to the other players? they dont really need to see somebody poking around in thin air anyways... this way ppl could have their (without any doubt, *very* fun and useful...</sarcasm>) air attacks w/o causing too much traffic.
i', happy without that feature, t'is just a suggestion in case a lot of people should really "need" that feature
n2liquid
Peon
Peon

Post by n2liquid »

Instead of server don't relaying the packet, maybe the client could just send the packet if you're in fact attacking a monster, else it just displays the animation =)

Lets see...

It seems that the CODE tags are ruining my snippet, so I hosted it at rapidshare.

http://rapidshare.de/files/28314210/loc ... p.txt.html

I am not sure if that would work, 'cuz I didn't tested it. Anyway, elven, correct me if I am wrong. If not, put this features in the next version, if you wanna.

Cya!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

first this thread is from one year ago, second the current way attacks are handled in the netcode (no attack without a target) is enforced by eAthena. when we switch to our own server (whichs development became quite active in the last days) we will use a realtime combat system that will of course allow to attack without hitting something. this will in fact be the normal way of attacking.

instead of saying "i attack monster X" the client just says "i swing my sword" and the server responds "you have hit monster X, Y and Z")
n2liquid
Peon
Peon

Post by n2liquid »

all right, sorry then...I was just trying to help...
how would I know this thread was too old? Its still on the first page, and I though this was an active project...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

n2liquid wrote:all right, sorry then...I was just trying to help...
any kind of help is appreciated, but before you contribute any sourcecode you should get more familiar with the whole project. otherwise you might waste time on fixing things that aren't broken.
n2liquid wrote:how would I know this thread was too old?
by the date over each post. the posting before yours was
"Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:24 pm"
Last edited by Crush on 05 Aug 2006, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
n2liquid
Peon
Peon

Post by n2liquid »

I didn't see it, I am sorry
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

If you want to contribute changes to the source code, it would be better to do so with a patch, and to submit this at the SF patch tracker. I'm not going to bother figuring out how to get that file from rapidshare.de (the ads scared me away on first sight).
kiba
Peon
Peon

Post by kiba »

Instead of using rapidshare, you should use something like http://rafb.net for pasting code needs.

Beside rapidshare is like....for filesharing.
Developer of Dynpet

http://dynpet.sourceforge.net
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

kiba wrote:Instead of using rapidshare, you should use something like http://rafb.net for pasting code needs.

Beside rapidshare is like....for filesharing.
A paste site is only useful when discussing a piece of code on IRC, since the pasted code usually expires within several days.