Art licensing and usage against the copyright holders rights

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

var
Novice
Novice

Re: Art licensing and usage against the copyright holders ri

Post by var »

I'm not answering negatively.

I just asked..... a week ago and i got no answers.

Instead Today i am happy, i got tons of answers, how weird...........

Anyway i just started this, now it's time to see Arikel's will.

This is the last post for me.

Guys i leave you with this (and i hope you will think about it)

I create a parking area in my land. Then i put a sign nearby: whoever place his/her car inside this area will allow me to use it in the way i like.
Guess why you can't?

and that forum rule says exactly that.

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

var wrote:I'm not answering negatively.

I just asked..... a week ago and i got no answers.

Anyway i just started this, now it's time to see Arikel's will.

This is the last post for me.

Guys i leave you with this (and i hope you will think about it)

I create a parking area in my land. Then i put a sign nearby: whoever place his/her car inside this area will allow me to use it in the way i like.
Guess why you can't?

and that forum rule says exactly that.
When you go to an other land, you firstly try to inform yourself about their rules conversely to act as you wish and then, to complain.
Arikel was, and is still, well aware of how this Forum works, as he was himself a contributor of this project.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

var wrote:I just asked..... a week ago and i got no answers.

I already told you the reason in my PM. When I may quote myself:
Crush wrote:It's very likely that you were not ignored - your post very likely wasn't even read by any content developers.

You posted it as the 12th post in a meaningless thread in Player Talk with an equally meaningless title of "look that". Such threads usually fall into the mental spam filter of most developers. You can't expect developers to read such threads, especially not when they are in player talk and especially not to the end when the first ten posts are devoid of any interesting content. That's why we have development forums and non-development forums - so that developers don't have to waste their time with reading meaningless chit chat.

When you would have created a new thread in a development forum you would have gotten the attention the issue deserves.
Please stop pretending that it wasn't your own fault nobody reacted to your posting.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Kandiman
Novice
Novice

Post by Kandiman »

var wrote:I just asked..... a week ago and i got no answers.
Please also note that responses may not be immediately forthcoming due to the time of year. This is a very busy time in real life for many people, especially those in school as the year comes to an end. As a result, they have less time available to pursue volunteer projects and respond. It's not uncommon for me to be away from the forum for more than a week before trying to catch up. This doesn't mean that I am ignoring anything, I just need to find the time to sort through it all.
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
arikel
Novice
Novice

Post by arikel »

You can keep the wyvern. I license it as CC0, so that GPL isn't a problem. It would have been nice to have been asked, or at least notified about it : seeing my graphics in game was all i wanted when i was trying to contribute, and it never happened as long as i was here. Now it seems some of my graphics are actually getting in game, it would still be nice to know.
var
Novice
Novice

Post by var »

arikel wrote:It would have been nice to have been asked, or at least notified about it
Gladly arikel you replied and that's the thing that i always thought while i started this..... would be nice to ask to the artist, and i point out that until today the wyvern had no license.
redshrike wrote:A simple way to do that might be a rule saying that, for any of your work to be used ingame, you have to c/p some text to the effect of "I affirm that this is my work and release this work under the GNU public license." That way you are free from ambiguities
Yup, which is why i propose to place that in the submission page.
Crush wrote: Please stop pretending that it wasn't your own fault nobody reacted to your posting.
Yep, i'm so evil that i started this because i had nothing better to do of my day.... please be serious.
Today i got answers, anyway you can go on to talk about subversioning here http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 03#p124403 stop pretending that someone reacted to my last post there, you in particular.

Reid wrote:When you go to an other land, you firstly try to inform yourself about their rules conversely to act as you wish and then, to complain.
Arikel was, and is still, well aware of how this Forum works, as he was himself a contributor of this project.
Yup, which is why tomorrow i will make a parking area in my land, place that sign and start to sell cars since who will park there is surely aware of the rule in my land.

So now, lock this thing and to remember to ask to the artist in case the license is ambiguous.

Also thanks to the feedback of everyone outside this forum as well, a good 99% of them agreed that a post in a forum that impose a license only because you posted it is not a good practice.

Also remove me from the dev team, thanks.

Regards.

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.

Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

arikel wrote:You can keep the wyvern. I license it as CC0, so that GPL isn't a problem. It would have been nice to have been asked, or at least notified about it : seeing my graphics in game was all i wanted when i was trying to contribute, and it never happened as long as i was here. Now it seems some of my graphics are actually getting in game, it would still be nice to know.
glad to see you ari! As you may or may not have noticed, development is moving forward well here. I would like to urge you to reconsider joining the project. I know that pixel artists are terribly needed and one of your caliber would be embraced, but i understand if previous issues have soured you toward contributing. Either way i wish you well and if you are lurking around in an irc channel somewhere i would love to know which one.
sexy red bearded GM
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Thanks for replying here, Arikel. You're a very talented artist and in my brief time in the #ufb IRC channel, also a great guy. I'm personally sorry (and surprised) to hear your work wasn't recognized by TMW as much in the past. Hopefully -- and if you give permission -- this will change. :)

After talking with Jenalya, I replied to the Open Game Art discussion with the following:

"TMW tries hard to respect the rights and wishes of contributors, because we are contributors ourselves. Unfortunately, sometimes there is a misunderstanding. This situation was further complicated because developers come and go. Our current dev team wasn't around for whatever conflicts happened in the past.

Once we learned of the concern about his Wyvern graphic, we immediately asked Arikel whether he wished it to be included in the game, and offered to remove it. He does great work, and we're grateful he replied and has now clearly offered this for us to use.

If someone believes we use their work improperly, please contact us on our forums at http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewforum.php?f=13.
"
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
arikel
Novice
Novice

Re: Art licensing and usage against the copyright holders rights

Post by arikel »

Oh my, what a trip down memory lane lol... Var you've always been such a pal, in game at first when I was such a noob, and then in forums, on IRC or anywhere else... I miss you man! My only regret is that we never could get a time or place to get a beer together!

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Did someone mention "beer"?

var
Novice
Novice

Post by var »

arikel wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 01:38

My only regret is that we never could get a time or place to get a beer together!

As long as it is not in poland :lol: :wink:

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

var wrote: 02 May 2021, 17:15
arikel wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 01:38

My only regret is that we never could get a time or place to get a beer together!

As long as it is not in poland :lol: :wink:

Proof everyone comes back. Sup.

TMW Team member