Pastrami Massacre! [and other sounds]

All aspects of music, audio and sound effects development for all The Mana World projects.

Clort
Peon
Peon

Pastrami Massacre! [and other sounds]

Post by Clort »

Hi people, I used to do some sound effects for PC games and wanted to share something funny.

Making short sword hit sound effects:
47 pastrami-chops

[url]http://0x0.st/i74_.ogg[/url]

Two things i'd like to note, for potential contributors new to game SFX.

1) Pros don't make sound effects by starting with some semi-appropriate sound then treating it heavily with effects plugins. Most sound effects start with a good recording - that is by making the sound itself. You need a good mic, good preamp, silent room with damped reflections -- then practice recording hundreds of sound samples. The processing happens after you have picked your best sounds.

2) Game sound and music needs to fit a consistent style (schema). Like graphics, you can't have elements that don't fit. This is hard enough to do in a commercial game, and even harder with a FOSS game that needs to accept contributions from multiple volunteers. If you do contribute, study the existing effects by unzipping the TMW.zip and listening to the .oggs carefully. Be ready to make lots of sounds and be ready to abandon unproductive paths or have submissions rejected. Contributing content is an iterative process where feedback is gathered from other producers to make successive revisions.

That's all for now. Cheers

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: Pastrami Massacre! [and other sounds]

Post by jesusalva »

(If you are wondering, TMW Forums do not allow HTTP links)

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Cage
Peon
Peon

Post by Cage »

It sounds like someone beating meat

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

I usually don't attack salted parts of dead animals near my expensive equipment but I really like your post Clort!

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Clort wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 05:09

Pros don't make sound effects by starting with some semi-appropriate sound then treating it heavily with effects plugins. Most sound effects start with a good recording

I have quite a varied mix of creations. Many start with an already existing CC0 or SA sound. I see no need to stand outside in a thunderstorm I had to wait for before I can record thunder. I see no need to mimic a thunder sound if a free one exists. These are contributions to the libre world to use for exactly this purpose. Here's a great film example of such a practice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream

Those screams were the most sampled sound in Hollywood for years and were used in many films and still do today by those that know it's history. They sneak it in at funny parts of shows more often today, but because it was such a classic scream sound. It was loved so much no one saw a need to record more because no one ever noticed it was being reused over and over all this time.
I mentioned on IRC to you how I originally I took criticism for not recording my own sounds and reasoned to have more sources allowed. There's no need to go backwards. There are also many correct ways to make professional sounds other than recording your own or resampling classics, that just always work. There is also synthesizing sounds from scratch. I generated a fair amount of these now. Completely generated and no mic. I searched for bee sounds for too long only to find nothing usable as many had too much BG noise to remove and I'll be damned if I have to go run around the garden chasing bees to record, though I'd welcome such work.

Besides, many of the recorded SFX are not the thing they are trying to emulate. Recording a person walking in sand is rarely done. They may put shoes on their hands and mush them around in place on a table in a properly sound insulated environment, but never go outside and record the real thing, because it never sounds quite right. Pros do not try to record the sound of static, but instead take a plastic wrapper and crumple it in, again, a sound insulated room. Crunching snow may be cotton balls and Corn Flakes mixed together to sound more 'real' in the finished product. There are also many sounds that need to be created for things that have no matching real life example like, magic healing, the sound of an energy blast, someone being blessed, an alien language, etc. So not all sounds can be recorded and not all sounds need to start as a recording, but I sure love that you are around Clort because I really love the few submissions I heard and for anyone else that wants to hear it in action, they've been added to my update server. I know it was a knife that was used, but in game I keep picturing a cleaver or hand axe. I'd prefer it get used for the latter, but if others like it as a short sword sound, then it'd remain that way.

There are many ways to do professional sounds, but we are... or at least, I am... an amateur hobbyist that contributes to a free project. We welcome both pros and amateurs here.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Speiros
Novice
Novice
Location: Born in Candor, living as a nomad around Tulimshar and Woodland areas.

Post by Speiros »

Livio wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 10:43

I usually don't attack salted parts of dead animals near my expensive equipment but I really like your post Clort!

Usually?...Tell us about these exceptions mate :mrgreen: :lol:

_

Let me help you understand pirate talk.
Arrrr!!! (The letter "R", and any other sentence or emotion imaginable, excepting the following ones); Arrrr!!! (angry "R"); Arrrr!!! (relaxed "Aaahh"); Arrrr!!! ("Man Overboard! Quick! Grab the ropes! Loosen the raft!"); Arrrr!!! ("What a lovely day! Sun shining..."); Arrrr!!! ("Oh no. Looks like more rain. Are our garments dry? Can we stop using them as a secondary sail yet?")
Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

Speiros wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 02:22

I've made the mistake of opening an espresso machine boiler without removing the water inside and almost flooded the bench.
Luckily the Lab Power Supply (R&S NGE102) and the Mixed Signal Oscilloscope (Keysight MSO-X 2004A) were raised from bottom by other things.
Try to see how much they are worth and see how much I consider myself lucky sometimes.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Livio wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 21:02
Speiros wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 02:22

I've made the mistake of opening an espresso machine boiler without removing the water inside and almost flooded the bench.
Luckily the Lab Power Supply (R&S NGE102) and the Mixed Signal Oscilloscope (Keysight MSO-X 2004A) were raised from bottom by other things.
Try to see how much they are worth and see how much I consider myself lucky sometimes.

Did the espresso return an error 418 after that? :alt-7:

(Also, has anyone seen clort around? It's been a while...)

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

jesusalva wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 04:10

Did the espresso return an error 418 after that? :alt-7:

Lol, no... It's an old Black & Decker EM5: there isn't any kind of electronics inside. After you open it you see just two switches, one button, two thermostats, two lamps, a vibrational pump and a heat fuse. So having a 418 inside this simple machine is quite impossible.
What was broken was the pump, probably its valves failed after more than 30 years of coffees and since it's damn sealed I had to replace it with another one that has the same power consumption but has a 150% flow output of 1.5 l/min. Just 20€ of spare parts.
You gotta be quick to switch it off for a short coffee since a single dose will be watered too much quickly and taste more like boiling water. Sadly the water here is damn hard so calcium carbonate residues are bothering especially to the water tank.

jesusalva wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 04:10

(Also, has anyone seen clort around? It's been a while...)

The last time I've chatted with him was on IRC. He said he mad and pissed off at a huge, discrete, and powerful religious organization that (according to him) is managing economy, media and politics ruining society by making people unemployed and mixed together. Nothing that we can really discuss here or wherever you got no encryption at all or in TMW community.
So I don't know why he disappeared. Maybe he got tired or maybe he stepped on a land mine.

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Clort will prob be back. I was talking to him in game the other night. He said he has a machine he can use now to login to TMW so we'll prob see more from him again soon.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

He stabbed a large cut of meat for us. He has to return.

TMW Team member

Clort
Peon
Peon

Post by Clort »

Hi! Was working on other things. Needed an extended chillout vacation and RPGs are one of my favorite ways to do that.
[img]http://0x0.st/-Aca.webp[/img]

Discovered the Legend of Heroes series by Falcom https://store.steampowered.com/app/2511 ... n_the_Sky/ and wow, just blown away. Then decided to check out TMW again since the Panfrost https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog ... -panfrost/ project just delivered workable FOSS GPU drivers to ARM Mali chipsets (and this is like the best news in recent memory for me). Running nicely in OpenGL and GL-ES mode on my grain-of-rice G52-GPU.

[Edit]Wouldn't mind doing some more sound work but only if it's a) wanted, b) gets included.

Speiros
Novice
Novice
Location: Born in Candor, living as a nomad around Tulimshar and Woodland areas.

Post by Speiros »

Well...water in an electrical system would certainly make a few sounds too I guess.

_

Let me help you understand pirate talk.
Arrrr!!! (The letter "R", and any other sentence or emotion imaginable, excepting the following ones); Arrrr!!! (angry "R"); Arrrr!!! (relaxed "Aaahh"); Arrrr!!! ("Man Overboard! Quick! Grab the ropes! Loosen the raft!"); Arrrr!!! ("What a lovely day! Sun shining..."); Arrrr!!! ("Oh no. Looks like more rain. Are our garments dry? Can we stop using them as a secondary sail yet?")
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Clort wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 14:42

Wouldn't mind doing some more sound work but only if it's a) wanted, b) gets included.

I definitely want it and include all you made on my updates patch. I especially enjoy the sword miss sounds and the variation helps to break the monotony. There will be much of my patch added to rEvolt/Legacy from what I can tell, but it's still up for discussion what will be added. One problem was my own doing, in a sense, as I made a huge PR and there were conflicts and I didn't know how to resolve or it was a lot of work. I think we will 'hear' more soon though.