No client for Debian

Development discussions for TMW's official client, alternative clients and client adaptations.

Friedel
Newly Registered User

No client for Debian

Post by Friedel »

Hi, I have the same problem I had at the last update. There is no update for debian. The link to the update contains only reps for very old debian versions. I'm using Jessie, which is also not new (oldoldstable), but not that old.

When will the update for debian 8 will be lauched?

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: No client for Debian

Post by jesusalva »

Good afternoon!

If you are using our self fork available at https://themanaworld.org/downloads it should come with an AppImage – Should run on any system newer than 2014. Just execute it (assuming you have libfuse installed), it is portable.

There are no deb packages there (yet!), However you can always download the source code, build & install by yourself :3
I strongly advise self compiled versions, they usually have tiny performance gains specially due perfectly optimized shared libraries, and are more customizable :3 But up to you.

If you are using the original client (which is also on the APT repositories) then you will need 4144's help; We can provide support on our patches, but for upstream issues it is generally "proper procedure" to inform upstream instead and hear from them first.

I hope you have fun playing The Mana World!
(And/or Moubootaur Legends, or any fork. They are nice, too)

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

I don't like this fork matter at all: I find it silly and newbies may find it confusing as well. Isn't possible to satisfy 4144's purpose by including his copyright notice and the lack of unknown gender (but only if the server allows for it)?

Friedel
Newly Registered User

Post by Friedel »

I'm using ManaPlus. It's Version 1.9.3.23 and there is no update or upgrade available. And it's not true, that I can download the source code build and install a self compiled version.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Livio wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 09:39

I don't like this fork matter at all: I find it silly and newbies may find it confusing as well. Isn't possible to satisfy 4144's purpose by including his copyright notice and the lack of unknown gender (but only if the server allows for it)?

We could always remove ManaPlus official links from download pages but lets not.

Friedel wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 15:02

I'm using ManaPlus. It's Version 1.9.3.23 and there is no update or upgrade available. And it's not true, that I can download the source code build and install a self compiled version.

If you're using the fork client, then version 1.9.3.23 might be correct; And the server news will inform your M+ is up-to-date (or report nothing if there's a bug)

If you're using M+ upstream, then client will report you can update it.

You seem to be facing a very strange and oddly specific issue, though; I compiled M+ on an Intel Celeron dual core, 2 GB RAM, Ubuntu 16.04 a while ago; My friend did it on a Raspberry Pi, so specs cannot be the cause. M+ have portable builds (in fact, the fork is only supplying portable builds) so root user is not required, which... leaves me dumbfounded on how you "cannot download source code, build, and deploy a self compiled version".

PS. If you're saying about "maverick", just replace it with "jessie"; That's an example on how to write the command, it is not supposed to be c/p. (And yes, it took me a whole day to understand what you probably meant by "link". Please try to be more specific? We're not manaplus maintainers, our knowledge on its infrastructure is a tad limited and if you're not specific we won't be able to help you :p)

Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

monwarez
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by monwarez »

Friedel wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 19:46

When will the update for debian 8 will be lauched?

Debian 8 reached end-of-life on 2020 june 30, so I don't see why there should be a backport of the latest version of manaplus.
If you update to Debian 11, maybe you can then ask the maintainer of manaplus to update it. Here his mail

Patrick Matthäi pmatthaei@debian.org

Since debian 8 is no longer supported, there is no guarantee that manaplus could be compiled with it.

Friedel
Newly Registered User

Post by Friedel »

Debian 8 has reached end-of-life. But there are still users of it. And there is also no client for Debian9, Debian10, Debian11, Linux Mint 20 ...
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Try fetching the deb file from
https://manaplus.germantmw.de/manaplus/nightly/linux/

If you can solve the dependency chain, then congrats! - you got the latest nightly XD

If not, then upgrade your OS. Keep in mind that EOL distros are more vulnerable to security exploits. If you need a really long term OS, try either Ubuntu Advantage, or an Arch-linux based OS.

And the official manaplus is available on the APT repository, you can fetch the deb from there if all else fails. 4144 also used to have his own PPA, dunno if he still maintains it however: Just add it to APT and update from it.

And if you're asking when our self-forked version will be on any distro, we agreed with 4144 to rename the fork (it'll be "ManaVerse", and please, no RPGMaker MV jokes...) - it is not so trivial as we need to keep all of 4144 original linters happy and be very careful to don't accidentally change a copyright notice or something important. So it will take a while.

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

Friedel3 on side note, are there any probs why you can't use newer Debian? Deb 8 really abandoned at this point, with no even security fixes. E.g. last time I checked, Debian 10 still worked just fine even on truly antique computer from 2004 or so, x86-32 without SSE, no 64-bit mode at all, etc. With fairly recent kernel, libs, etc. Hell, actually, I've installed Debian because WinXP they had got really unsupported, to extent not even VLC/ffmpeg/etc builds were working. But on Debian all recent software worked just like charm. When they build to certain target, they really do. Without "go buy new computer" crap and so on, and seems it can go quite a lengths.

And if resource use is concern, there're quite light DEs, like XFCE, LXDE and somesuch. Any other reasons to stick to Debian 8 forever? As side effect, recent debian comes with more recent software, including M+.

As another option you can try e.g. build whatever M+ version yourself. It takes some setup, but not THAT much; all libs/requisites installed by package manager (i.e. few commands, checkboxes in synaptic, or something) and so on - and guess M+ on its own doesnt minds much libs are a bit vintage. It usually can live in quite diverse configs. Either way as Debian user I would be more than happy to help about things around.

p.s. oh Jes you finally at least decided to rename that thing? At least it would reduce confusion and, honestly, if someone forks, using same name is weird idea.
Friedel
Newly Registered User

Post by Friedel »

There is no newer Debian! I was using Debian 11. It's newest version. But I can't work with Debai11. Now I'm using Linux Mint. There is no new Client for Debian11 and also not for Mint.