[WIP] Manaverse press kit

Development discussions for TMW's official client, alternative clients and client adaptations.

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

[WIP] Manaverse press kit

Post by Reid »

Quick concept for the manaverse client.
Typo is a bit wrong but on the overall I wanted to go with this color/style, thoughts?
mockup manaverse logo.png
mockup manaverse logo.png (71.26 KiB) Viewed 29085 times
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Re: [WIP] Manaverse press kit

Post by EJlol »

I'm not sure whether I like it.

I like the concept, and I can see a clear connection with the letter 'M of Manaverse.' The shape is unique, and easily identifiable. Perfect for a logo.

Yet at the same time cause the flower is upside down, it reminds me of a corsage worn during a funeral (in reality they shouldn't be worn upside down I believe, and it is debated whether they should be worn at a funeral at all, as it is (used to be) actually a sign of celebration).

The left arm still has some sketching line at the bottom.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I think this is genius, especially if/when TMW adopts its new logo in the same style. The sketch line on the bottom left is the only thing that needs fixing and also we might need this vectorised.

Lots of flowers grow “upside down” and I think it makes sense for it to take the shape of an M and also reference what should be the new TMW logo.

TMW Team member

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

"Claws" look a bit aggro/scary/dark but other than that it looks nice. And, eh, maybe change black font color? Just random idea.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Agree on the font colour, I would use the light brown we use in the forum theme.

TMW Team member

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Well if we are going to be that nitpicky, the logo is also smaller than the text and not centered :p. If it's a vector I would rescale it so they are the same width, if that isn't possible I would center it.
Hocus Pocus Fidibus
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Hocus Pocus Fidibus »

Far too complex for a logo imo
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I disagree that it is too complex. At that scale it is not a problem that it is complex. It may become a problem when downscaling it, so I quickly tried that. Even at such a small scale it is recognizable. I did change it to a single color for the small version though, but it is quite normal to simplify it when downscaling logo/images. It will look better when someone actually spends time on it btw (notice that I didn't even bother to remove the text, or the sketch line, white background instead of transparancy). I can see a good smaller version with 2 or 3 colors.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

manaverse logo cpt.png
manaverse logo cpt.png (111.64 KiB) Viewed 28289 times

Here are some concept to replace the old orange logo and the new blue logo.

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
jak1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jak1 »

i like em all, but the bottom right looks rly nice :3

@}->--- ---<-{@

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I think the third one might look better if you ever plan to use it as a letter M together with the rest of the word "Manaverse". The others look better as stand-alone. I can't decide...

TMW Team member

AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

Don't know what I like best, but I think these are all amazing. Thank you for making them.

Head of the TMW Illuminati
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Bottom left looked ugliest, top left reminded me a monochromatic version is usually a good idea but looks to me like the icon for a text editor, and can't see any difference from those at right side. Personal opinion.

Ultimately we don't need to emphasize this, knowing what Manaverse is, is much more useful for developers, debugging and "why X doesn't work" than actual players. For example, "why crafting doesn't work": ManaPlus did not deploy a new version with the required bugfix, so branding helps in this case, but ultimately players are after The Mana World's client.

Which is why we at least initially used a blue color scheme: "ManaPlus is the orange client and ManaVerse is the blue one". Quick to distinguish both, so if player finds an issue, finding the guilty party is trivial.

In a sense, while imo the bottom left is the ugliest, it's also the one who makes manaverse look like something new, while the right ones (which imo look exactly the same) imprint the idea that manaverse is really an improvement and sucessor to m+...

...in which regard I feel the current client falls short and is undeserving of such great design XD

And yes, I did see the "beak". It'll vanish at 16×16 version anyway, and given it'll need a few odd formats (and standard SVG) I just assume it won't matter enough in the practice.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

jesusalva wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 06:32

Bottom left looked ugliest [...]
while imo the bottom left is the ugliest, it's also the one who makes manaverse look like something new, while the right ones (which imo look exactly the same) imprint the idea that manaverse is really an improvement and sucessor to m+...

...in which regard I feel the current client falls short and is undeserving of such great design XD

"It's the ugliest but it's the best but it's ugly but it's such a great design" x.x

TMW Team member

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

WildX wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 10:38
jesusalva wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 06:32

Bottom left looked ugliest [...]
while imo the bottom left is the ugliest, it's also the one who makes manaverse look like something new, while the right ones (which imo look exactly the same) imprint the idea that manaverse is really an improvement and sucessor to m+...

"It's the ugliest but it's the best but it's ugly but it's such a great design" x.x

No, this is not what I said. You're judging that "look like something new" is something desirable (thus making it the best). I'm not, I'm saying I don't know if we want Manaverse to look like something new (in which case the right ones are kinda too close to M+ logo) or to look like a successor (in which case the right ones are better).

So the bottom left is in my personal opinion, ugly, but from these four variations, it is the one which gives the impression "this is a new thing" the best. But I don't know if this impression is what we're aiming for in first place.

PS. When I say the client does not deserve such great design, I refer to the right versions.
PPS. "ugly" is compared to my own standards, not to what we have :lol: I think everyone agrees it is better than the current one?

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.