Random Requests

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Random Requests

Post by jesusalva »

These are random requests, usually low priority or just stuff devs are avoiding, and not necessarily related to The Mana World.

Doing them may or may not end up ingame. Design and implementation of Mirror Lake quests are also welcome.

Mirror Lake
A Mirror Lake quest is a quest which happens on multiple worlds at same time (you start on TMW and finish on ML, for example). Help is greatly appreciated. Contact me if you want to design one.

Multiple Servers
Stuff which could be useful for multiple games.
  • More ways to reduce lag should be implemented. Server-side is mostly fine, but ManaPlus is still doing crazy stuff.
  • Server actually should send GM group ID instead of GM bit (true/false)
  • There's a new Godot client still unplayable which could use a helping hand.
  • Mouboo Riding must be fixed. It works in Moubootaur Legends but spritesheet is messed up; This is for rEvolt/Evolved/Moubootaur Legends.
  • More Ingredients and combinations for Cooking would be welcome, as well as recipes for the already existing food and ingredients (rEvolt/Moubootaur Legends)
  • More equipment would be welcome (non-hats). Evol2 spritesheet only! (rEvolt/Moubootaur Legends)
  • More monsters necessary. Flowers, Cats, The Scorpion King (BOSS), mechanical beings like siege weapons or fortifications (we only have a gate and a tower on ML), sea monsters (hydra, tentacles, octpus, sea snake, tritan, naga, merfolk, whatever ─ useful for TMW rEvolt and ML), flying monsters (harpies, eagles, birds, gryphons, etc. ─ useful for TMW rEvolt and ML), humanoid elementals (we only have fairies, wisps and orbs on ML), woses, smaller colored golems, monsters which doesn't exist IRL,insectoids (eg. ants, lizards, alligators), goblins, kobolds, gnomes, gargoyles, ogres, whatever.
  • The Ancient Temple is unmapped, and only has partial tilesets. TMW Evolved/Moubootaur Legends.
The Mana World: Evolved

Some content can also be brought to Legacy later, but priority is Evolved.
  • The Dark Forest is missing. Tilesets available at Moubootaur Legends, see map 029-1 there for inspiration
  • Thermin was never mapped. It also lacked tilesets.
  • Other Kaizei towns are also missing, like Fluffy Valley, Carcezei, Castle Frostthorn, etc.
  • Fire Crystals weren't made (actually, a dozen were made, but none was picked and they got lost)
  • Hocus' Cozy Castle must be mapped
  • There's no tilesets for the Pink Moon which orbits TMW and is inhabited by Pinkies and Fluffies
  • There's also no maps for that!
  • Dreaded Pirate Marley Quest
  • Witch Quest (see also Wiki and Trello
  • The Lottery
  • Boss Fight code for The Grim Reaper (Evolved only!)
  • Lots of testing required and minor bugs in need of attention
  • Magic must be redone
  • A hundred minor issues
Moubootaur Legends

Not managed by The Mana World Team.
  • The magic academy, 027-1, lacks the storage. (BEGINNER MAPPER)
  • West of Thunderhills is unmapped. It was supposed to be a dark forest
  • I want an inn similar to Waste Edge's, see Adonthell project for info.
  • Fortress Castle needs more floors mapped
  • And if you're a coder, these floors needs challenges
  • If you're a questart, Lilit is terribly underused right now
  • Duck Dungeon was mapped, but could use help scripting (ADVANCED)
  • Heroes Hold needs dungeon design and its scripts (some can be added automatically from the map) (ADVANCED)
  • La Marine could use mapping improvements.
  • Desert Canyon has a lot of broken warps.
  • Katze Quest, on the Canyon, is sorely missing, but maps are ready. (BEGINNER QUESTART)
  • There's a lot of unused, unstated and unobtainable food: Cake, Cherry, Chicken Leg, Jelly Beans, Pear, Pumpkin Juice, Pumpkin Seed (small & big), Zombie Nachos, Pumpkin Lollipop.
  • Eternal Swamps is not very swampy, and it is supposed to extend more in other directions
  • Mana Cave (011-3) needs fixing
  • WNS (The upper plataforms on woodlands) was started but never really progressed.
  • Explosive Arrow might be broken.
  • Savior Set is missing, as well as their recipes, sprites, etc.
  • The Ancient Temple is unmapped, and only has partial tilesets. This can be reused on TMW.
  • More magic spells would be nice (ADVANCED CODERS)
  • Not all towns have illumination at night (mapping/tileset)
  • Setzer quest is missing, so is Zambacutou. Might be not necessary but thought in noting down.
  • If you want new monsters but only know XML: more humanoid monsters of all races are welcome.
  • Politics could be extended as well
  • Lalica and her hat are missing.
  • The tent/campfire item was never finished
  • The maps which goes above the mountains to Frostia have never been done
  • PvP Arena is not mapped nor coded
  • More puzzles would be welcome
  • Oceania, the underwater town, could be done
  • The Volcano in Tulimshar could be extended all the way until a non-existing settlement.
The Mana World: rEvolt

An alternative reality created by Zax De'Kagen as a collateral effect of triggering a Rewrite. Almost no tasks for beginners here. It has art and maps (and a high quality control for those!) but need code. And, well, more equipment is welcome.
Actually I'm sure there was more stuff for Evolved and even for rEvolt. Man, what a mess!

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: Random Requests

Post by Hello=) »

More ways to reduce lag should be implemented. Server-side is mostly fine, but ManaPlus is still doing crazy stuff.
I'd rephrase it as "network layer is f...d up" - and it goes well beyond of lag. Basically there was never serious use of "Evol-type" servers for, well, serious longterm viable gameplay, so its a bit "draft" and "raw" when it comes to user experience. E.g. Evolved-class servers DC me waaaaaay more eagerly compared to TMWA on network imperfections. This means attempt to hang around on server like that is doomed to fail - I wouldn't go to sleep and read chat messages when waking up - more likely I'd see disconnect message instead. That's where "MMORPG is community" idea dies - and I'd say it seems to be server thing (like short ping timeout?). This one maybe not very hard to fix. But whole thing needs more love from low latency and (more important) low jitter/overall UX networking expert.

There're >1 kind of lags. Archers swear on getting stuck every time they shoot. Long walks may desync and cause fancy stutter. That's already 2 different issues to me.

I've also seen other really weird stuff like e.g. dynamic walls doing something really strange at packet layer.
Server actually should send GM group ID instead of GM bit (true/false)
Is this supported by existing clients? I.e. breaking protocol in incompatible ways is VERY BAD thing to do. Coz it would cause ton of fallouts. And e.g. Linux distros are slow to update clients. And if this breaks client I'm dead sure such a minor feature not really worth of compat breakage (alright I've not yet looked into packet structure so if I got it wrong, blames accepted).
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: Random Requests

Post by jesusalva »

Hello=) wrote: 14 May 2022, 23:55
More ways to reduce lag should be implemented. Server-side is mostly fine, but ManaPlus is still doing crazy stuff.
I'd rephrase it as "network layer is f...d up" - and it goes well beyond of lag. Basically there was never serious use of "Evol-type" servers for, well, serious longterm viable gameplay, so its a bit "draft" and "raw" when it comes to user experience. E.g. Evolved-class servers DC me waaaaaay more eagerly compared to TMWA on network imperfections. This means attempt to hang around on server like that is doomed to fail - I wouldn't go to sleep and read chat messages when waking up - more likely I'd see disconnect message instead. That's where "MMORPG is community" idea dies - and I'd say it seems to be server thing (like short ping timeout?). This one maybe not very hard to fix. But whole thing needs more love from low latency and (more important) low jitter/overall UX networking expert.

There're >1 kind of lags. Archers swear on getting stuck every time they shoot. Long walks may desync and cause fancy stutter. That's already 2 different issues to me.
About disconnect, I couldn't raise the amount of keep alive packets the server sends, but I saw how long TMWA keeps a connection alive and updated Evol2 config to half of that amount (it was what, a fifth?) ─ I wanted to put the full amount which is 300 seconds, but TMWA sends a KeepAlive at 150 seconds, given there's no such setting on Evol2, I was afraid that setting to 300s could still have the connection drop dead anyway due the lack of that (possibly dropped by something else e.g. Kernel).

I actually found out it is a bug on tmwa (and which was fixed on brAthena ─ the old Brazilian fork of TMWA) that archers can attack while moving. Archers were always supposed to stop to attack, apparently, but tmwa had this shiny bug which, uh, kinda became part of the gameplay. At this point, we want to introduce a bug on purpose, which is trickier I guess as Evol2 code is a bit more round so just changing the packet won't work -.-
(Remember TMWA had an infinite attack bug in like 2009? Well, the bug which allows archers to attack while moving is likely related to that, but Evol2 has more protections, adding the bug only in one place won't cut).

As for movement desync:
I still blame ManaPlus. This time, I have a spreadsheet.
Report.xlsx
Spreadsheet
(22.48 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
In red are packets which client sent but ended up disregarded by server because client sent a new movement packet right after (so server decided to ignore it and favor the more recent packet ─ check the timestamps as well).
Hello=) wrote: 14 May 2022, 23:55
Server actually should send GM group ID instead of GM bit (true/false)
Is this supported by existing clients? I.e. breaking protocol in incompatible ways is VERY BAD thing to do. Coz it would cause ton of fallouts. And e.g. Linux distros are slow to update clients. And if this breaks client I'm dead sure such a minor feature not really worth of compat breakage (alright I've not yet looked into packet structure so if I got it wrong, blames accepted).
That's what ClientVersion is for, you send a bit for old clients and the group ID for newer ones ^_-

This is already supported by tmwAthena, so it is less about writing new code than sending the right data.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.