Moving away from gitlab.com

Where game and project announcements are made.
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Moving away from gitlab.com

Post by jesusalva »

Hello,

on behalf of Development Team, I inform that we are moving away from gitlab.com.

GitLab has passed a new hostile governance such as limiting amount of contributors and demanding a rather long bureaucracy, which could also compromise part of our infrastructure, leading to the decision to move away from their SaaS. (This is not the only factor, their team has taken several decisions which puts their trustworthiness at stake, such as requiring credit card to use CI for forks, their login page which is now harder to access, several other policies changes which had rather heated discussions and more).

The folks at Adélie Linux have offered to host an instance. Currently, Moubootaur Legends, Evolved, and most of our infra has migrated; And in the next couple weeks, Legacy and rEvolt will move as well.

We're only moving away from GitLab SaaS (aka. gitlab.com), the core technology remains as GitLab Community Edition. The CE edition is open-source and does not suffer as badly from their governance, compared to SaaS.

You can browse in git.themanaworld.org or use the JavaScript-free version at cgit.themanaworld.org.

Pulls from GitLab will still work at least until July 1st (when GitLab shuts down automatic pull as well), pushes will only be done on the new addresses. You are not required to update your remotes unless you are a developer, however, it is strongly advised to do so.

In case of questions, feel free to ask us on IRC, Discord, Matrix, or here on the thread.
Thanks for the comprehension.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: Moving away from gitlab.com

Post by Ledmitz »

Oh C'mon people.... :evil: sure make me have to be the guy to say congratulations on your 1000th post Jesusalva!
/me sneers, grabs Slimey the worm and slams the trash can lid.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: Moving away from gitlab.com

Post by Hello=) »

On my side... its definitely welcome change to have sane list of TMW repos in just humble cgit instead of dreaded gitlab. Am I correct folks at Adélie Linux got clever idea to expose same repos 2 different ways?

When it comes to gitlab.com I'd say "good riddance". I'd say it proven to be annoying and troublesome anti-privacy corp and I'm not big fan of their bloated groupware stuff either, IMO its very far vs what git has been meant to be (that's where I'd make it clear I personally would never endorse use of software like gitlab). But its nice to keep at least readonly mirrors on github/gitlab to improve visibility unless it becomes really troublesome/annoying/infeasible. Does "shuts down automatic pulls" also imply they wouldn't even run e.g. readonly mirrors, etc? Either way, grats on 1000th post, its definitely not worst of the bunch, keep it like that :P.