[DISCUSSION] Jack-O on graveyard and maybe skulls in cave, etc?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: [DISCUSSION] Jack-O on graveyard and maybe skulls in cave, etc?

Post by jesusalva »

Greetings.

I came to inform that starting on next update, we'll get a JackO and three Zombies on gy.

Regards.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

Whoa, cool! Looking forward to see how it performs and if someone complains, etc. Hopefully it would make GY gameplay a bit less boring/more diverse.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I was just talking about this in-game a few days ago. I would even bring back ALL the undead that used to roam the GY. It was designed as a battle map and right now it feels a bit like a waste. The old spawns were designed to work with the space too.

If there's a problem getting to the crypt, I think a teleport in Asphodel Moor or at the entrance of the GY would be better than sacrificing the entire map to make it safer.

TMW Team member

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

I have impression GY never been meant to be safe map so it "bug". Skeles give too much XP, mid-levels lvlup fast, and higher levels just have safe walk - yet getting so decent XP even WW at lvl 134 still dwells here. And his chances to die... I only seen him dead once, likely he AFKed for hours of DCed. It provokes bots/automations and TBH looks like game mechanics and/or location design FAIL (if I'd try to match "dev" and "player" views).

Few things like jacks/fallens/zombies look like step in right direction to me. On side note I suspect reapers can also get a bit more wide use in scary highlvl locations.

So far reaper only used on Swamp and it 1) costly to get here 2) takes sizable time 3) comes with really tricky requirements so in the end community ends up separated on one side, and on other ppl just afraid to take on reaper to avoid high cost of "death penalty". But on positive side... here you can see how to make "death penalty" the way it quite workable. In this particular case it just got a bit too high scaring players from taking on troublesome monster. But some rewards can offset it. Reaper just not exactly what I'd call rewarding in its drops, quite hard to kill, gives medium XP so ppl only readily take on it at events where death "penalty" is sizably less.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I'd propose the old GY spawns with the addition of a Reaper outside the church and, as it was initially intended, a few scythe spawns to go with it. It could be done for a temporary event to see how it goes and if people like it then it stays.

TMW Team member

Relm
Novice
Novice

Post by Relm »

ginosuper wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 06:21
Hocus Pocus Fidibus wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 17:19 And nostalgia is one of the worst reasons to do anything.
My reason for wanting the skulls back in the Hurnscald mines is the excitement it brought, not purely nostalgia. It also brings a way to interact with people more, making the game more fun.
Nostalgia is a terrible reason, sure.

How about one of the most basic principles of artistic design: emphasis & subordination. The skull stands out in the mine entry. It is emphasized. The slimes, snakes, scorpions etc. are subordinated. Having the skull in there threatening new players was exciting and objectively beautiful. Currently, the mine entry has nothing that stands out.
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Well, that's probably offset because... it's an active mine, not an abandoned mine.

Although no one has seen the miners for quite a while, so buffing Tulimshar mines with all sorts of ore veins and drops would be possible. Wouldn't require much to make Mike say "miners have abandoned this mine since a skull appeared, everyone now mines in Tulimshar. Uh, you're welcome to try to mine if you want, but you might as well be killed XD Words of a jak!"

Maybe even add a silver vein on Tulimshar Mines as an alternative to red slime farming. Moubootaur Legends and rEvolt have those already, anyway. (For the record, silver sells from 1/10 to 1/100 the price of gold last I checked ore prices. And yes, I did check the ore prices in Brazil market.)

Well, things to add to the bottom of my not small TODO list I guess XD

Might as well do it once I'm sure TMW Evolved is on-par with TMW Legacy. Remember we have moved our git repositories to https://git.themanaworld.org/ and https://cgit.themanaworld.org/ ─ The github page is now read-only so your existing forks still work :-)

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.