Copyright talk

All aspects of music, audio and sound effects development for all The Mana World projects.

Relm
Novice
Novice

Copyright talk

Post by Relm »

Also, I think it should be possible to take one of your works, make a branch of it, license it CC BY SA, and make another branch from that original work and publish it under a different license. Not a legal expert at all.

Edit: sorry for necroing a post from 10 year ago, i thought it was on front page xD
Last edited by WildX on 05 Jul 2022, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed necro :>
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: Background music offer

Post by jesusalva »

Author can do whatever, it is just a question of "does it make sense?".

If you license under CC BY SA and CC BY NC SA, the later makes no sense as it's more restrictive than BY SA. Given these licenses are irrevocable and sublicense is compulsory, trying both makes no sense whatsoever.

Unless you have CC BY SA and CC BY NC — the later is not approved for cultural works and all that, but will find adepts. As Reid said, NC cannot be accepted. It is NOT OPEN SOURCE, goes against the project principles and is overall incompatible.

Once the author adopts CC0, he cannot recover control over the work. At this point, more specific licenses are irrelevant.

You can always contribute less restrictive licenses (Micksha licenses his works under MIT, Hocus does the same, I use LGPL for code and CC0 for everything else, etc.) but never more restrictive licenses.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.