Do you believe the [Kid Book] needs some fine tuning?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Do you believe the [Kid Book] needs some fine tuning?

Post by Livio »

Even before the introduction of powerful weapons and gear (like the sandcutter, the assassin gear, the catapult and whatever) the [Kid book] is generally considered a mere aesthetic thing rather than a special item with some tactical value.

For those who didn't got one it boils down in those things:
- Your appearance changes as a troll one (cool 8-directional animated graphics!)
- Trolls can attack in 2-3 range by using STR rather than INT. Useful to warriors if they wish to have ranged attack.
- Still, a lower DEX makes them miss.
- They can actually sit even if you don't see them sitting (keep in mind if you are a magic user).
- They can change pointing direction when dead. Not really a feature but it's funny.

There are some disadvantages too:
- Your attack usually becomes weaker compared to other melee weapon.
- They can't use a shield (maybe because books are two-handed "weapons")
- There's no advantages for magic users too.

So I was thinking to tweak things a bit in order to make it a bit more attractive alternative to already existing (sub)classes.

Is possible to halve monster's player detection range as a troll?

So troll can actually get closer or run away without triggering any monster in limited space. Trolls are smaller than other player races and they are monsters too so a bit of "professional courtesy" from other monsters would be cool.

What about poison immunity?

Is possible to add unique spells?

Trolls usually live in caves far away from surface establishments. If they managed to use ranged magic attack on aggressors they must have developed some magic knowledge on their own.

- Disable or enhance some light/dark spells.
- #speedlimit: slow down the target.
- #cqdxcqdx: Summons a random monster with a random spawn's lifespan: that means that trolls could spawn a maggot for three minutes or even a grenadier for ten seconds. If the player is a dark mage monsters will come from the astral plane.
- #itenplz: You already know this but monsters will target random player. lol nasty
- #guildchat: Summons a random amount of trolls. If more people is online the more the trolls summoned. Uses all the MPs.
- #stm32f103: Makes you gain some exp according to your engineering level. Drains all your MP and lots of GP. An arcane programmer device in mage hands is required to cast this spell.

Some other things I noticed:
- If your alt is a skeleton and you equip the book you will not turn into an undead troll. (That could be cool, so we can have an undead troll class).
- In other games and literature trolls have many shapes, color and sizes completely different between them. Probably the result of centuries of storytellings passed between generations of puny humans.

That's a lot and probably not everything is good or implementable. Hoping for improvements and fresh ideas.
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: Do you believe the [Kid Book] needs some fine tuning?

Post by jesusalva »

Livio wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 10:22 Is possible to halve monster's player detection range as a troll?
No. Detection Range is a monster property, so unless it affects monster directly, it is not possible.

(Of course, you could edit the C/C++ part so when the monster finds the target, you look at the target equipment and if kid book is equipped you check if target is in the new shorter range ─ this won't be nice performance-wise, though)
Livio wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 10:22 What about poison immunity?
Not possible in TMWA. Doable in TMW Evolved.
Livio wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 10:22 Is possible to add unique spells?
Yes it is (both Legacy as Evolved).

Livio wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 10:22 - #speedlimit: slow down the target.
Evolved only, and it won't be shown by ManaPlus.
Livio wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 10:22 - #cqdxcqdx: Summons a random monster with a random spawn's lifespan: that means that trolls could spawn a maggot for three minutes or even a grenadier for ten seconds. If the player is a dark mage monsters will come from the astral plane.
Doable in both Legacy as Evolved. However, making the duration dependent on the summoned monster level is only possible in Evolved, I don't think Legacy has mobinfo() command.
Livio wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 10:22 - #itenplz: You already know this but monsters will target random player. lol nasty
Maybe with a for loop and attachrid(), might be doable on both engines, but TMWA will crash if it disagrees with your loop. (So it requires lots of testing done for Legacy, while Evolved could accept hidden bugs)
Livio wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 10:22 - #guildchat: Summons a random amount of trolls. If more people is online the more the trolls summoned. Uses all the MPs.
Evolved only; I don't think TMWA has any function to determine the number of online players outside the C/C++ block.
Livio wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 10:22 - #stm32f103: Makes you gain some exp according to your engineering level. Drains all your MP and lots of GP. An arcane programmer device in mage hands is required to cast this spell.
Engineering level? It is doable in both engines but makes no sense?

Livio wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 10:22 - If your alt is a skeleton and you equip the book you will not turn into an undead troll. (That could be cool, so we can have an undead troll class).
No, items which affect player appearance will either stack or override each other. This means at best scenario, there's a skeleton below the troll disguise.

But given undead is implemented as a race, it should be possible. That's entirely client-data which is Micksha's domain, so I might be wrong. (server type is irrelevant in this case)

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.