Linux: I don't understand how to install under Ubuntu Dapper

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
t.z0n3
Peon
Peon

Linux: I don't understand how to install under Ubuntu Dapper

Post by t.z0n3 »

I'm a complete Linux Newb. I'm sorry if I'm causing headaches... the feeling is mutual. I was intrigued by this game, and I've been looking for something to replace Guild Wars (I can't get Cedega... T_T) and this looked like a good old 2D adventure to me. But it hates me.

I downloaded the Debian packages from TMW's main website, and then I attempted to install them (like an idiot). It said I needed libguichan, and so I Synaptec'd that, and it was all good. Installed, ready to use, right? Not so. I tried again, and it said that libguichan's dependencies were not satisfied, just as it had before. I am utterly confused by this, and can't find a way to fix it.

And yes, I did use the search button before posting this. :D

~t.z0n3
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

guichan - the library that creates more problems than it solves. which version of guichan did you install? the most recent version 0.5.0 doesn't work with tmw yet because they changed a lot of api calls. you need the version 0.4.0. unfortunately this version can no longer be found on the guichan homepage (hell, when they release a new version that isn't backward compatible they should at least offer the old version).

by the way, this topic belongs to the "Unix specific issues" board.
Last edited by Crush on 12 Aug 2006, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
t.z0n3
Peon
Peon

Post by t.z0n3 »

Ah, I didn't realize that Unix was Linux. That's how much of a newb I am. Forgive me. :?

Uhm... I have 0.4.0 installed. The file names in Synaptec are given as:

libguichan0
libguichan0-dev

I installed both of them and all of their dependancies.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Uninstall your outdated tmw deb and use that one:

http://themanaworld.de/tmw_0.0.20.1-1_i386.deb

then "dpkg -i" it
t.z0n3
Peon
Peon

Post by t.z0n3 »

But I'm using Ubuntu. Those were for Windows, weren't they? o.0
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

it is very unlikely that a .dep file has anything to do with windows.
t.z0n3
Peon
Peon

Post by t.z0n3 »

Alright, I did that, but the wierdest part was that it said it was already installed. I can't actually find it anywhere with a whereis check, or a find check. I reinstalled it, and it still isn't working, because I when I try to start it (via ./tmw in the correct directory) it says this:

./tmw: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried to find this via Synaptec, but it apparenty does not exist. I also cannot apt-get it. What the heck is that thing? Do I need another library supported or something? o.0
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

That file should be included in the package 'libsdl-mixer1.2', which should be available in Dapper through Synaptic.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

And "sudo apt-get remove tmw" before...
t.z0n3
Peon
Peon

Post by t.z0n3 »

It seems to have worked! I'm sorry I caused you guys to post here.

If the old adage that 'Online games are only as good as those that maintain them' is true, then this game should be wonderful. :wink:
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Not yet ;)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

about guichan: they now got a link on their homepage where one can find older versions and the latest developer version of tmw has been ported to guichan 0.5.