[WIP] Water Temple

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

[WIP] Water Temple

Post by Merlin »

Somehow got tasked with doing a Water temple and well have something done enough to point to discuss possible changes.
Basically what I have here is an underground temple. I might make some additional dirt tiles to help with the corners but I'm not looking to get too crazy doing new tiles. (That might have to be done on the Fire temple since we don't really have much usable for that at this time. Hence why I don't want to go over on this one.)

The entrance is from the lowest building like your walking out the door. I think I was given the map that leads to it but I forgot what file it might be. In the first section we have the caretakers house. I guess the large 2nd area would be the main temple. For the common functions. More of a grand foyer. Next is smaller platform with a water feature centered upon an alter with a book. The book of water i guess. Lastly you have the inner temple and housing for the water temple monks I guess. We don't have actual interiors but I can edit some if they are needed.

The set isn't that great or that bad to work with. I had to add some fringe elements from my woodland inn set. I think they fit alight. A water crystal would be cool. (IDK why but isn't there always a crystal representation of an element? Would make sense for it to be in a water temple guarded by water monks.)

I don't know they whole story. There's 4 object spawn areas on the map on each platform. If i wasn't working so much lately I would have this in a more finished state but wanted to get some feedback and discussion going before I get done and then changes are purposed. I might want to change something if we come up with some purpose or additions we want.

watertemplefulllayout.JPG
watertemplefulllayout.JPG (77.1 KiB) Viewed 4107 times
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Re: [WIP] Water Temple

Post by Reid »

That's some very nice progress!

Let's split this map in 5 parts from bottom to top:

1. The entrance
    The bottom door lead to the water?
    This part is a bit empty and could be reduced to remove the too large walking area, this tileset doesn't feature much variation so large walkable areas are not looking very good.
    Diagonal tiles are well used on the overall on this map but for this part I would reduce its use, even if on perspective it looks better, in-game with our tile-based navigation it could look quite wrong.

2. The principal chamber
    That's maybe an overuse of the carpet tiles :D You could slide those into multiple carpets and create some shapes with them like this example on the first attachment.

carpet example.png
    carpet example.png (170.37 KiB) Viewed 4088 times

Here diagonal tiles are better but the one on the top part of this chamber are too big IMO and here they don't serve the perspective.

3. Two way pathway
    I like this part, design wise it's very interesting to have this small area with two ways interconnecting, do you have any plan for the middle part?
    I don't know how it looks collision-side but the top part might be a little short to walk on, there may need some rework when you will be able to playtest it.

4. The two towers
    These parts are purely decorative right? The player won't be able to walk on it? If so, It could be fun to have this element placed in multiple part of the map, to remember the player of the general height of the map and to decorate the surroundings.

5. The top part
    Seems like the more complete part, the lack of diagonal tiles make it looks pretty good and self sufficient, could look very nice once some particles are added!

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Most of the lower area is not done yet. The completed parts would be the top and 2nd section that you like the design part. Yes it might have to be wider when I playtest it.

MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

watertemple2ndplatform-revision1.JPG
watertemple2ndplatform-revision1.JPG (231.97 KiB) Viewed 4064 times

I went and made some changes to that large principal chamber here:

MerlinX420
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Reid wrote: 11 Dec 2022, 21:48
  1. The two towers
    These parts are purely decorative right? The player won't be able to walk on it? If so, It could be fun to have this element placed in multiple part of the map, to remember the player of the general height of the map and to decorate the surroundings.

I really think that adding those same towers at the other two narrow points would make everything look better.

TMW Team member

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

watertemple-sundaynightprogress.JPG
watertemple-sundaynightprogress.JPG (83.33 KiB) Viewed 4002 times

I thought I posted my progress but I guess I didn't.

MerlinX420
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

If this thing has working mechanics, I'm in love with it. Sorry to not critique and just cheer, but feel its in order. :mrgreen:

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak