[Legacy] Merge WW into upstream?

All aspects of music, audio and sound effects development for all The Mana World projects.

Merge WW in TMW?

Poll ended at 07 Nov 2022, 15:53

Yes, I love the new sounds
92%
No, keep them separate, I'll enable WW if I want
8%

Total votes: 13
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: [Legacy] Merge WW into upstream?

Post by jesusalva »

I believe ambient sound *replaces* music.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I guess it all depends on how it loops then.

TMW Team member

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

WildX wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 11:27

The ambience sounds are great, but I worry that they might blend poorly with the music that goes in the respective maps. As long as they don't overpower the music itself it should be fine. It certainly adds some flavour!

To clarify, Legacy/Classic only has the ability to play 1 music track at a time, so its either music or ambience, though I think evol2 may have the ability to add 2+ tracks. I always forget. That might be NPC related, but it would still be possible to have 2 tracks playing, if so.

WildX wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 11:27

I'm afraid this would only serve as a warning bell for botters so they can bot all they want as long as they're in range of hearing the sound. They could literally just go into another room and watch TV until they hear the sirens.

Yeah, I thought that would come up. In any event, it is already on Legacy if a GM+ wanted to initiate it for any other reason with @music botcheck.ogg

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

WildX wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 12:47

I posted the tracks so anyone can try them out. You may need wget or some download command on windows to try it though. Actually, I think you can just load the URL in any network capable player and click repeat to check it them out.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Ledmitz wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 17:32
WildX wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 12:47

I posted the tracks so anyone can try them out. You may need wget or some download command on windows to try it though. Actually, I think you can just load the URL in any network capable player and click repeat to check it them out.

But surely it would alternate between ambience and the music rather than replacing the music entirely? I meant that loop. How the ambience fades into song and how the song fades into ambience, also how often the ambience plays VS the music.

TMW Team member

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

It must be a single ogg file.

In other words, it'll always be constant.
Arrangements are not my area, as long as it is a single file looping unconditionally, it does not matter if it plays music then grows quiet, ambience, and music slowly repeats or whatever.

Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Yes, it is a single track designed to be for music, but of course that music can just be an ambience track. The places that are only ambience or silence are welcoming, so that things like sitting in town or the store doesn't keep playing the same song. The sewers, fireplaces and the big one in debate I know would be in Hurnscald square. The ambience is just birds tweeting away, but sparsely. The music in town is the same as outside the gates so the track wouldn't be going anywhere. I think of it as the music starting when the adventure begins and safe places like Hurns, just sound peaceful. I actually made ambience for voices indoors, like bars and stuff, but that was just creepy AF! lol

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I've always loved Hurnscald music. I often would just let it play in the background while doing stuff, I still do sometimes. I was hoping it could be looped together with some ambience-only that alternates with it? Idk how many people care but as all "classic" things in TMW "Classic" I would lean towards keeping it... well, classic. :wink:

TMW Team member

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

That's an expected and understandable response. It would be good to hear some others chime in and though it isn't an argument, but a reminder, you would still be able to sit and listen to that track, but it would be just outside the town gates.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Currently, Moubootaur Legends comes with a tidy command called @mymusic which let you hear any track which ML has. Hocus also made Jukeboxes for rEvolt, but the Jukebox is more advanced, being able to play both for you as for the whole map, with sketches for the possibility to restrict to only music you already heard.

Which ofc is impossible to know, so it was just guessing based on locations visited and quest progression. At which point it could just have a minimum level. But Moubootaur Legends has 40 sound tracks, while TMW Classic has what, 20? (I'm sure there are at least 4 unused soundtracks, which is why I noted down 20 instead of 24) so it is perfectly reasonable use of resources.

I think by ambiance, the best example would be thunderstorm.ogg track. I know it plays in 070-3, and maybe in the swamp I guess?