Which graphic style?

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Which graphic style?

High-res
57%
SoM
43%

Total votes: 28
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Which graphic style?

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Thx to neko-mon this tutorial came to my attention: http://www.enterbrain.co.jp/digifami/di ... /3_09.html Look at the sprites at the bottom.

Do you think we should apply this "high-res sprites" style or leave the SoM one?
SimEdw
Peon
Peon

Post by SimEdw »

I think we could do alot funnier game with high-res. Where the characters could do alot more things. But since I an't any artist I don't know how hard it's to make :/ and since we are quite short on artists I don't know if we should change style :?

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... uage_tools <-- the site in english :)
Lisa
Peon
Peon

Post by Lisa »

:D Lots of those ways in that website is like how i draw :D
Look over there! *points behind you*...
*runs away*
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Can you show some examples to us? :roll:
Shura
Novice
Novice

Post by Shura »

well, i don't see a point why low-res sprite shouldn't be able "to do" the things hi-res ones could... maybe i got soemthing wrong about what sprites actually are but that what i think.

in any ase, i'd like to see low-res som-style sprites. not as "low-res" as on SNES itself but something that fits well into 640x480 w/o shrinking if you know what i mean. unless we only want desktop computer ports we should consider this as the minimum resolution since most TVs can't so more than that w/o interlace etc. :wink:
Don't argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Yuuki
Novice
Novice

hmmm...

Post by Yuuki »

:? I like SOM like grafics
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I thought we already decided this one? (We decided to use 16x16 tiles instead of 32x32.)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Well first of all I'd like to say that I love SoM graphic, I'm not trying to redirect you over a different kind of graphic. I started this project as a SoM clone not thinking about the copyright stuff, so if we can manage to have some graphic of this level, well I'll be more than satisfied.

Anyway as I stated somewhere I'd like to build this game upon the suggestions of everyone so most of the players will appreciate it better. And if we're going to use high-res sprites, and by that Alex I mean only bigger sprites, I need to know it know, since I'm rewriting the graphic engine for the 3rd time, and I don't want to rewrite it again in the future.
With 640x480 we can have high-res sprites as well as low-res (but still cute) sprites, so no problem for TVs or a possible port to a console in the future.

About the size of the tiles , yes I know we decided for 16x16, and this will remain, but doesn't mean that we can't change sprite size even if it will make the graphic look a bit weird. Just think at the GUI, which it's rendered at a double resolution respect to the tiles and sprites.

Don't misunderstand my words, I only want to be sure that everyone agrees on a certain kind of graphic. :D
Sull
Novice
Novice

Post by Sull »

im for 32x32 tile,bigger tile will increase detail and remove the need of a 2xsai-eagle engine,and 16x16 tile can be easely resized to 32x32 with one of this engine. i dont see zny problem with bigger tile
Yuuki
Novice
Novice

=/

Post by Yuuki »

if we change the current grafics to 32x32 we can have something like this
Sull
Novice
Novice

yea

Post by Sull »

i made some little potion to show the diff too

16x16
32x32
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Well after the potion example evrything seems more clear :lol:
Anonymous123

Post by Anonymous123 »

yea 32x32 tile rulz i think it will be better for the game,sull got right,sull yur my god!
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

As I said the tile size was already decided, so it will be 16x16 until EVERYONE wants to change it. Anyway I was thinking that could be woth, in term of fps), to preload all the tiles double sized. This will mean that we won't have any filtering such as 2xSai or Supereagle, but will also mean a great increase in fps. And we can also consider to add a post-processing engine as AA to smooth the image if you have a lot of horsepower.
Yuuki
Novice
Novice

Post by Yuuki »

Elven Programmer wrote:As I said the tile size was already decided, so it will be 16x16 until EVERYONE wants to change it. Anyway I was thinking that could be woth, in term of fps), to preload all the tiles double sized. This will mean that we won't have any filtering such as 2xSai or Supereagle, but will also mean a great increase in fps. And we can also consider to add a post-processing engine as AA to smooth the image if you have a lot of horsepower.
Yes sir!