Crypt base level 60 entrance requirement

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

ThinkSome
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Crypt base level 60 entrance requirement

Post by ThinkSome »

What is the rationale for this requirement? I looked at the commit that added it and it seems to be another of those non-descriptive thousand line+ squashed commits that we've come to love so much /s:
https://git.themanaworld.org/legacy/ser ... f142ee802d

IMO There's absolutely no need for it, most of the mobs that are inside the crypt are also available on lvl<60 accessible ground floor. You could argue that it'd allow getting to swamp chest (and thus lvl 80+) much earlier, but then a better idea would be to move the requirement to Terrogan-chest logic.

The way it is now, we have to tell new level <60 players to "just grind alone until lvl60 so you can join us". That's not very good.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: Crypt base level 60 entrance requirement

Post by jesusalva »

The original plan was to limit to level 80 (not misspelled) so expect no support from me on this. The chest also came years later ─ if memory serves, ~7 years gap, definitely not related.

The world has a dozen farming areas, incl. Tulimshar's Snake Pit which has a good exp ratio. (At least on paper, never been there, I'm horrible with mazes ─ which is weird considering how many mazes I use in the game).

The idea for the Crypt was to add an extra farming area for high level players. It was originally intended at 90+, then 80+, then eventually devs agreed on 60+ (note in the post below that 60+ is below the level expected to fight with the monsters).

If you're below level 60, go grind in the Graveyard. And the area is good ─ WarriorWorld got level 135 without ever setting foot inside the Crypt, and remains to date not only the first but possibly the only player to reach that level cap. (If anyone else does, talk to me to receive the Book of Floyd/Maverick, though).

PS. I understand the logic ─ crypt boss fights can be fun, and they're easier to start than Candor ─ but I still don't think changing level requirement has anything to do with it. It's like setting the house on fire to avoid the dark pest ─ even if effective, it is not worth it.

PPS. Don't forget this is TMW, where good ideas are skewered for the greater good. If it starts by reducing the entrance level, rest assured in a few years (assuming TMW Classic is still running by then) you'll have people complaining Crypt is too hard and have developers FOR THE GREATER GOOD! nerfing the monsters there. No wait. They already nerfed the monsters there. Nothing in TMW holds true to its original design (much to Hocus resentment, as he made the original design for Boss Medals and they turned out very different from it).

TMW Classic is a design-free game. So maybe devs will agree with you and remove level requirement to enter Candor Cave and Crypt (lets mention Candor Cave in any case, "to keep out new players = Lv 40 cap" makes no sense). I'm not one of said devs, not anymore.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

ThinkSome
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by ThinkSome »

I see. Well, there is another idea of adding lower-level boss fights, perhaps even with an upper level cap.

If you're below level 60, go grind in the Graveyard

That's how to speedrun alienating new players :)

I'm still against the hard level requirement and would prefer to see it replaced with something smoother.

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

ThinkSome wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 14:48

What is the rationale for this requirement?

Goals. In a game you try to attain your goals. I'm not a fan of level requirements for items and prefer stat requirements if anything, but level requirements for quests are a good thing. The reasoning is there are lots of quests to occupy a player, which tends to level them faster and gain equipment. Its good to expose the player to that, especially since its all part of the game. If they hate quests and just want to grind, they can. The GY used to be the endpoint; the place we all went to level. Its good to have a level restriction for the crypt because its a goal, first and foremost. It might be nice if we added some npc text when character goes to the door before level 60. Alacrius seems as good of a good gatekeeper as any. He's already there. He keeps it locked to the unworthy. That's my spin on it and simple enough to add text.

ThinkSome wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 14:48

The way it is now, we have to tell new level <60 players to "just grind alone until lvl60 so you can join us". That's not very good.

Well, we don't have to. We can stay and support them or they can grind until they get to 60 or a mix of both. They may grind with others or alts of others. Gaining abilities and access is what its all about.

ThinkSome wrote: 04 Nov 2023, 15:15

I see. Well, there is another idea of adding lower-level boss fights, perhaps even with an upper level cap.

You may have noticed our smaller player base and how fast a player can level here (to 60), especially if its an alt. There just aren't many low level players for very long. We could add something cute-ish, I suppose but I think the need for more BP and DP comes at later levels anyway. At lower levels, the best way to get more DP is simply to level since it happens so fast.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

ThinkSome
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by ThinkSome »

Ledmitz wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 03:49

You may have noticed our smaller player base and how fast a player can level here (to 60), especially if its an alt. There just aren't many low level players for very long. We could add something cute-ish, I suppose but I think the need for more BP and DP comes at later levels anyway. At lower levels, the best way to get more DP is simply to level since it happens so fast.

I consider that in itself as a problem, the agostine and other high xp shortcuts simply shouldn't be available.

The boss point and daily points bonuses wouldn't be there primarily for new players, they would be there to reward existing players for playing with the new ones.

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Most quests don't give enough of a reward at the lower levels. I can't imagine lowering Augustine without raising the rest a bit. I always thought questing didn't give enough exp except for a few that give a lot. Also if ppl make the quests, we want players to try a few right? Its nice to have options. I knew some ppl that played to trade rare items mostly. I spent a lot of time just sitting in the store, myself.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak