Retreat !

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Wellvin
Novice
Novice

Retreat !

Post by Wellvin »

To give a surviving chance to my allies when I can no longer hold the mobs, I display "Retreat !" in chat to initiate a coherent tactical retreat. I've mapped a shortcut key to showing "Retreat !" in chat. Unfortunately, tense fights make me use it often and trigger spam detection as shown in the example below:

[21:35] Global announcement from Cuoco Gest: GM Island is open %%A
[21:40] Wellvin: Retreat !
[21:44] Wellvin: Retreat !
[21:45] Wellvin: Retreat !
[21:49] Wellvin: Retreat !
[21:50] Wellvin: Retreat !
[21:53] Wellvin: Retreat !
[21:54] Wellvin: Retreat !
[21:56] Wellvin: Retreat !
[21:57] Wellvin: Retreat !
[21:58] Wellvin: Retreat !
[21:59] Wellvin: Retreat !
[22:01] Wellvin: Retreat !
[22:02] Wellvin: Retreat !
[22:04] Wellvin: Retreat !
[22:05] WARNING: You are about to be automatically banned for spam!
[22:05] WARNING: Please slow down, do not repeat, and do not SHOUT!
[22:05] Wellvin: Retreat !

Be able to coordinate players as groups is such an integral part of the fun in a multiplayer game. It would be nice if players could earn the ability to display coordination messages that do not trigger spam detection.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: Retreat !

Post by jesusalva »

...Use emotes?

That's how it was always done in TMW Classic. The puking face is usually a request to heal, for example. (And no, I don't have this documented, I don't play enough to know all the emotes players might be currently using for that).

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

I've mentioned the spam filter detection before. It seems to detect if a shortcut was used rather than just detect the timed intervals. I consider it faulty, myself since is is too sensitive. My shortcuts are also 1 key hits on the numpad, so its faster and easier to use them. I used to use chat shortcuts, but gave up on them due to this.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Spam filter does not consider shortcuts, these are a client-side thingy. It considers either packets (Evol2) or messages (TmwAthena / but TMWA also considers packets, but is more tolerant to packet flood and thus would be more susceptible to DoS without the firewall additional rules).

If you use a shortcut, it'll send a packet (and possibly a message). This is not treated any differently than if you typed yourself. The ratio for ban is 10 messages in 10 seconds, relying on the fact that if you're typing, you won't type more than one message per second, give or take a lenience when your message is short (e.g. "ok").

Of course, shortcut will send the message instantly, so if you press the shortcut over 10 times in 10 seconds, you'll get banned for spamming. If you use the shortcut only once every second, you should remain within the threshold and not get banned. If you start bashing it as if it were control you'll get banned too quick to realize the mistake; but in Evol2 this could trigger the packet limiter and cause some messages to be dropped or the connection to be killed preemptively.

Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

I seem to recall getting auto-banned a lot faster than that. If you get the warning and then hit it once/twice more too soon, you will be kicked. I'm fairly certain it happens much sooner than 10 sent messages. I have 1 account left that I could test it with, but I never wanted to get banned and logged for future references.
I say this due to having been auto-banned in the past. I have never hit anything 10 times fast. Does it truncate the threshold so that we could be banned with less hits than 10?

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Ledmitz wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 18:21

I seem to recall getting auto-banned a lot faster than that. If you get the warning and then hit it once/twice more too soon, you will be kicked. I'm fairly certain it happens much sooner than 10 sent messages. I have 1 account left that I could test it with, but I never wanted to get banned and logged for future references.
I say this due to having been auto-banned in the past. I have never hit anything 10 times fast. Does it truncate the threshold so that we could be banned with less hits than 10?

Yes: Repeated messages, ALL CAPS MESSAGES, and a couple other rules and some keywords (e.g. itenplz, if memory serves) will count as THREE messages rather than one.

Wanna get quickly banned? Send "itenplz" four times in chat, that's enough to be counted as 10 messages and cause the ban to be issued. (I believe I already explained this in depth in another thread in the past; just use the search feature...)

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

I don't need to repeat anything or have caps. All I need to do is hit a text shortcut and then a different one and a warning will be triggered.

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

It's something I attempted to do in the past but I gave it up because of the automatic ban and because I do not have enough shortcut keys available on the PS3 controller.
I hope people would like to use Mumble again so voice chat can be used instead.

Wellvin
Novice
Novice

Post by Wellvin »

As suggested, I now use the orange > < emote, not the pumkin face that probably has a reserved meaning.