Hey could I use these sprites in my game?

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

n2liquid
Peon
Peon

Hey could I use these sprites in my game?

Post by n2liquid »

Hi there, I am here again, just to ask if I could use the gfx of The Mana World in my game. I just need the player_male_base and player_female_base, so that our spriter could draw over it. I am sure that after some mods you won't even know that this was your sprite. Also, we would put all the credits and links to your site.
Plz, we got only 1 spriter, and he can't draw player templates...

Here is something we made for tests:

Thx for the attention,
Cya!
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Since our art is in principle covered under the GPL, you do not need to ask permission to use our player sprites as long as your project is also covered under the GPL.

If this it not the case, you need specific permission from the spriteset authors. In this case I think those are mainly Talaroc and Modanung. It would be really appreciated if your art was also available for use by this project (where it would be covered by GPL).
n2liquid
Peon
Peon

Post by n2liquid »

Well, our project is simply under no license x.x So, is there any problem with that? Could we put only the gfx under GPL? I don't know if we need to register is as GPL, or if we can simple say: Our project is now GPL. I usually make projects solo, and so no need to get a license. Our code is open, and the game will be editable by anyone that get the registered version of Game Maker(yeah, we aren't using C++, it's just a project for fun, you know?)

Am I fine to use it, or I need some other thing?

Cya
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

If you release something under "no license", then it defaults to regular copyright law in which we cannot reproduce it without your permission. I think what you mean is that your game is in the public domain, but in that case you have to state this explicitly. Public domain would mean everybody can do with it whatever he wants, even sell it or modify it and release the derivative work under a more restricted license.

However! You cannot go release our GPL covered art in the public domain without the agreement of Talaroc and Modanung. Without their agreement, you will have to make sure to point out that any art from this project you're using is covered by the GPL.
n2liquid
Peon
Peon

Post by n2liquid »

Ok, we agree to use GPL as our license. We got no site yet, but I will host the gfx, anyway...

Here are the links:
http://rapidshare.de/files/30032961/spr ... e.zip.html

This is the full sprites we got up to now. Some of them are a little ugly, but we will not use the ones which we think that aren't good for the game.

Use them as you want ^^

Thx, cya!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

do you know what licensing under the GPL means for your project? it means that you have to offer the sourcecode of all your program files together with the binaries.
n2liquid
Peon
Peon

Post by n2liquid »

I know it, and it will be done.

---EDIT---

But as its not yet done the basic stuff, like movement, we wont post it here. If you want it, I surely can post it here, but all you will have is a login system with a chat system xP
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

you only have to make sure that the sourcecode can be accessed by everyone who can access the binary.
n2liquid
Peon
Peon

Post by n2liquid »

It will. But we got no releases yet, only the graphics.