Target with keyboard

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Alderan
Novice
Novice

What happened?

Post by Alderan »

Hi,
I created the patch and put it on the source forge but it looks that noone put it to the main code branch. Well it is outdated now since the internal structures changed, but it is easy to modify - I may modify it myself to match current release and put it to source forge again.
But I don't want to waste my time - if you again leave it there with no response, I wouldn't do that.
If you have some commets to it why not to accept it, why you didn't tell me?
Master Ar2ro
Peon
Peon

Post by Master Ar2ro »

The patches there are often just left there for some time. They have a low priority. To check what's being worked on and what has high priority, see the Roadmap in the wiki.
If you want that patch to be included and if you want to use it, then make it work correctly with the current version and submit it again. The patch should be created with the diff tool, perhaps you didn't use it?
One thing is certain - if you don't care about it enough, to update it, and to make it as easy as possible to merge it with the source code for the developer, then it's not gonna be included.
But I do agree with the fact, that the TMW developers do seem to kind of ignore the patches that are there. After looking in the Roadmap, and then checking the patches I saw that there were some goals implemented, though after changing to Guichan 0.5.0 they probably won't work out of the box.

You can try visiting the TMW IRC channel, I've been there every day when I was submitting a patch and I believe it was accepted quite fast ;)
C/C++,Java,PHP+MySQL - read more
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Yeah probably the best way to send a patch is to show it on IRC since we can define details better and make corrections faster. Your patch seems interesting so I don't think it's worth to give up with it. Unfortunately I don't seem to receive any mail from the patch tracker so I always forgot about it, I'll check it out now btw, but please try to join #tmwdev.
Alderan
Novice
Novice

Post by Alderan »

The updated patch for current svn version is in patch tracking system.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Actually I much prefer the patch tracking system to posting links to patches on IRC. The patch tracking system gives me the freedom to review it when I want to and makes sure the process is open to everybody and properly archived.

The problem with old patches lying around is caused by several things:

* Developer priorities, usually a developer already has something he prefers to work on
* Some patches are of low quality and thus require careful review and in many cases some changes in the implementation
* Some patches implement features that we plan to implement differently or we are not sure yet whether we really want to include them (example would be auto-targetting patch)
* Code is moving and patches are rarely updated, the older the patch the more work it would be to integrate

We should realize however that reviewing and accepting patches can be important steps towards gaining more developers on the team. It has always been on my todo list to clean up the patch tracker, but so far time and priorities have only allowed me to look at some of the recent ones.
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Yeah probably the best way to send a patch is to show it on IRC since we can define details better and make corrections faster. Your patch seems interesting so I don't think it's worth to give up with it. Unfortunately I don't seem to receive any mail from the patch tracker so I always forgot about it, I'll check it out now btw, but please try to join #tmwdev.
Hmm I do receive emails from the patch tracker, but this is because I am monitoring the project. If you want to receive emails about changes to any of the trackers, you'll have to put your email in the "Send email on new submission to address:" field of tracker preferences.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

the best way to get attention for your patch is to submit it to the patch tracker AND go to #tmwdev and ask people to include it. when they don't want to merge it immediately (it is very unlikely that they will) ask them what they want you to change. draw attention for your patch by asking questions about implementation details and style guidelines.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.