Prevent item stealing

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Tarm wrote:I had a idea.Why not make loot targetable?While you have a loot targetted then no one except you can loot it and you do this automatically by going into melee range.Make Tab the "target loot" button.Of course you can still pick up loot the usual way.

The important thing here isnt to prevent thieving but to make the pick up easier.I almost never use the mouse for walking or targetting because I miss all the time and being able to target loot and picking it up with tab is much easier then searching for G all the time.Tab is close to shift and ctrl which I have my fingers on all the time when I play.
tab, shift & ctrl? u seem to be playing Counter-strike a long time :D
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Well yes I have been playing counter strike for more years than I care to think about. :)
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

cs is not bad, but the respawn system causes frustration and anger. That's why all the players on cs servers are so rude and it is the reason i am not playing anymore. i prefer dod. the gameplay is similar but you can respawn after a few seconds and the tactical component is more important.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
knivey
Novice
Novice

tfc

Post by knivey »

I like Team Fortress myself
All your base are belong to us.
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Actually one of the main reasons I like CS is the respawn system.It makes you play more carefull and think about what you are doing.

But we are getting off topic. ;)
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Tarm wrote:But we are getting off topic. ;)
Exactly, go dicuss your l33t h4X0R games in the off-topic forum or on aother planet or something. :P

On-topic: Yes ofcourse we will have a system to prevent item stealing. It's been discussed at least two or three times before.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

to take care of groups...
not being "IN" on the whole developement stuff, i believe there is supposed to be guilds right? (we will assume yes)
so, the drop can be picked up by any one in the guild.
or
since there will be a friends list, players can select freinds from their list to allow to pick up their drops.
i believe the question is really. "how do we control ownership over item drops"
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

blah

Post by Bear »

Monsters Killer: Can pick up Item
THEN 5 Seconds until Party members can pick up
10 Seconds until other normal players can pick up the item.

For Item share for partys.
Have 2 options:

No Share
-Monsters killer/picker-upper of the item keeps the items.

Share:
-Items are distributed evenly or randomly into the party.

This is the system used in RO
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Re: blah

Post by Pauan »

Bear wrote:Monsters Killer: Can pick up Item
THEN 5 Seconds until Party members can pick up
10 Seconds until other normal players can pick up the item.

For Item share for partys.
Have 2 options:

No Share
-Monsters killer/picker-upper of the item keeps the items.

Share:
-Items are distributed evenly or randomly into the party.

This is the system used in RO
I still like the idea of whoever first attacked the monster... That way, even if you're some noob who jumped in at the last moment to kill it, you STILL can't pick it up because you didn't attack it first. Thus, it's more a contest of who can attack the monster first rather than last... how it SHOULD be.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

why not something like the player who did the most % damage to the monster. so if 2 people attack it, the person who did more than 50% would have ownership. if 3 people attack a monster, which ever player did more than the other 2 players would have ownership.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Dr Wahl wrote:why not something like the player who did the most % damage to the monster. so if 2 people attack it, the person who did more than 50% would have ownership. if 3 people attack a monster, which ever player did more than the other 2 players would have ownership.
The problem with that is that it encourages high-level players to pick on noobies. Since you can basically kill it in one to five hits, it won't be hard to take that kill. :wink: No... so far, the best way to prevent all troubles is to have the FIRST person to attack it to get the items. That prevents ANY kill-stealing or loot-stealing.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

but high lvl players would not gain anything to be killing low level monsters. they might steal 1 or 2 kills to be jerks, but it wont end up being a reacuring thing if the monster drops pertain to the level. To have the FIRST person who attacked the monster will be a similar problem. One player can go around shooting all the monsters on screen one time to get the FIRST hit, but after that, let the other player kill it for him.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

So you gotta be REALLY careful to NEVER let the players find out WHO gets the kill/loot... :wink:

EDIT: I have an idea. The FIRST person to hit the monster gets the kill... UNLESS he dies or walks 3-6 spaces away from the monster. That way, if you want to kill ALL the monsters on the screen, it's impossible, because by then you would open up the monster to attack from other people.
Master Ar2ro
Peon
Peon

Post by Master Ar2ro »

Pauan wrote:EDIT: I have an idea. The FIRST person to hit the monster gets the kill... UNLESS he dies or walks 3-6 spaces away from the monster. That way, if you want to kill ALL the monsters on the screen, it's impossible, because by then you would open up the monster to attack from other people.
I like this idea in general. Adding some team/guild related stuff to this idea is the perfect solution I think. If you're fighting alone, noone can steal the loot from you, if you need help with a monster, you just run away from it a few spaces and then someone can help you. Also, if you're in a team, then perhaps the person who does the most damage (from your team) gets the first chance to get any items dropped (ex. when three people kill a monster, the one that did most damage gets a 4-5 second exclusive access to dropped items, after that short time everyone can pick that up).
C/C++,Java,PHP+MySQL - read more
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Naturally we would need a seperate system for parties, guilds, etc.

My proposed system was merely targetted at solo fighting.