Mountain map - new work for quest/npc/monster creators

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Alderan
Novice
Novice

Mountain map - new work for quest/npc/monster creators

Post by Alderan »

Hi,
I created new map. Elven wanted mountain map so here it is.
Link for download
http://hippo.nipax.cz/tmp/mountain.tar.gz

There is one little problem. The map has no entrance. I dodn't know how to make one. So I suggest that those nomads who were taking players to greenland could be taking players here. Since the greenland is connected they have no more work. They could say something: "We were exploring more land and foud blablabla". The nomad could be placed on top left hill.
There is also place for special NPC - it is the blue point on the map. But I don't know what NPC - so it is for NPC/quests/.. creators.
Monsters are also unknown for me.
I hope you will like the map and it will be included in some future release of TMW. Or some modifiacion if you have any comments :D
LEG0LAS
Warrior
Warrior

Post by LEG0LAS »

Looks very nice. :wink:
I hope to see this map soon on game.
Nice work.
LEG0LAS + Bow = 100arrows/s
Alderan
Novice
Novice

Post by Alderan »

LEG0LAS wrote:Looks very nice. :wink:
I hope to see this map soon on game.
Nice work.
Just one suggestion for you - you may also try to create one. It isn't so difficult. You don't need to be pixelartist or know programming. It just takes some time to learn with the editor and then clicking... :D
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

well, you know my opinion about that tileset.

Alderan: To make the integration of your maps into the game easier you should create them as attachments to existing maps. So we needn't use that ugly transport npc solution. There is a step by step description how to do it in the mapping tutorial.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Alderan
Novice
Novice

Post by Alderan »

I can't fix that since I'm not a pixel artist. :(
Crush wrote: Alderan: To make the integration of your maps into the game easier you should create them as attachments to existing maps. So we needn't use that ugly transport npc solution.
I know and I would like to do that but there is no transition betweem Mountain tileset and any other tileset. Or at least I don't know about any transition. :( My pixel skills if I would try to make it myself woudn't satisfy you I guess :) There could be for example undeground path there - like you would go there by tunell (cave) but again there is no cave entrance in mountain tileset. Do you have any sloution?
Master Ar2ro
Peon
Peon

Post by Master Ar2ro »

Alderan wrote:
I can't fix that since I'm not a pixel artist. :(
But if Crush ever fixes (read - redoes) the mountain tileset your map will look ok as long as all the pieces stay in the places they are now ;)
Alderan wrote:
Crush wrote:Alderan: To make the integration of your maps into the game easier you should create them as attachments to existing maps. So we needn't use that ugly transport npc solution.
I know and I would like to do that but there is no transition betweem Mountain tileset and any other tileset. Or at least I don't know about any transition. :( My pixel skills if I would try to make it myself woudn't satisfy you I guess :) There could be for example undeground path there - like you would go there by tunell (cave) but again there is no cave entrance in mountain tileset. Do you have any sloution?
I don't think you have to draw the transition tiles. It's just that your map is... a mountain in the center of a desert, there's nothing on the sides, and all the other maps have mountains/cliffs/walls on the sides with only few pathways. Try to make something similar, perhaps it'll be easier to fit it somewhere...
C/C++,Java,PHP+MySQL - read more
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

when i would redo the mountain tileset i wouldn't make the cliffs 4 directional but 8 directional (most likely based on the cliffs from the forest tileset). that means that it wouldn't be compatible.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Alderan
Novice
Novice

Post by Alderan »

Great. One said - create map with this tileset. So I created. And then another one say I don't like the tileset. Nothing that I could fix so the map goes to trash. I must say that I'm really upset.
I wanted to help TMW because I like it. I mean really do something. Not only talking in forum. But I guess that I will not create anything more because I don't want to waste my time/work this way.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

And who was it that assigned this task of using that particular tileset to you?

And for the purpose of pseudo content, we've had worse maps too, so why not just use it? A lot of other current content is going to get scrapped too along the way so what the heck? :twisted:
This message used to be meaningful.
Alderan
Novice
Novice

Post by Alderan »

Rotonen wrote:And who was it that assigned this task of using that particular tileset to you?
ElvenProgrammer assigned the task to me.
Rotonen wrote: And for the purpose of pseudo content, we've had worse maps too, so why not just use it? A lot of other current content is going to get scrapped too along the way so what the heck? :twisted:
Well as Crush told he doesn't like the tileset I thought that you are not going to use the map. I would be happy if you use it of course - that is why I created it.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

When the request started from me, you're almost assured you're time is not wasted. Of course there still space for improvements and suggestions should be accepted. I think most of us agrees that "that" tileset is not very good, but I know from experience that extending game contents with everything we have, even if it's not top quality, will help in many ways. So keep working, oh and well done till now.
Alderan
Novice
Novice

Post by Alderan »

About the tileset - at the beginning I also didn't like it very much. But as was working with it I got used to it. And now I must say I like it.

About the connection with the world. I don't know how to create clean and nice connection. Maybe it could be conencted to the dead end on green snake area. But the connection woudn't be smooth.

OK then. Are there any suggestions like add more trees here/there? Remove them form there? Or what should be improved?
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

what about different cliff heights? (i dont know if this is possible with the tileset)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Alderan wrote:Great. One said - create map with this tileset. So I created. And then another one say I don't like the tileset. Nothing that I could fix so the map goes to trash. I must say that I'm really upset. I wanted to help TMW because I like it. I mean really do something. Not only talking in forum. But I guess that I will not create anything more because I don't want to waste my time/work this way.
Whatever you do - there is always someone who says that he doesn't like it. That's typical on a team with so many people and such a high level of democracy. But just because one or two people are against something doesn't mean that it won't get into the game. When we would follow that doctrine nothing would ever happen.

I - as an artist - said that i don't like the tileset and suggest not to use it.
Rotonon - as art director - said that he considers it good enough for some short term content to keep the fan base entertained
Elven Programmer - as team leader - says low quality content is better than no content at all

I said my opinion. It got heard but i got overruled. That's democracy.
  • NOT a game master

Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think mountains are so much more then a bunch of stacked cliffs. A mountain does not consist of some rock islands in a desert connected by bridges. I think for a decent mountain map we need a different/better tileset and the action layer system. Both of those we do not have.
But hey, this map could be used. Albeit temporal. And Alderan, I tried to do something with this tileset and I respect you man... it's pretty unclear.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io