player names

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

maci
Knight
Knight

player names

Post by maci »

it should be possible to move the mouse over another player to see his name and some short infos , and maybe an avater
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

For sure it would be possible to display player name when mouse is over them, but I don't know about avatar, it's pretty slow to transfer bitmaps, and if someday tmw will get bigger then we will need lot of space to store all the avatars. Probably we will show only the guild sign.
Armageddon
Peon
Peon

Post by Armageddon »

.jpg is smaller than .bmp and faster to transfer but havent got the quality...but this is not so important i think
Yuuki
Novice
Novice

Post by Yuuki »

.jpg lose the quality of picture
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Yeah I'd think PNG would suit us here, unless you mean avatar as in showing actual pictures. We could have the algorithm try both PNG (smaller on pixeled avatars) and JPG (smaller on images) and transmitting in the winning format.

As for transfer size, we'd hash them and store them in a cache client-side. So any new avatar will only be send to server once and from server only times the amount of players. If we limit it to 10 kb/avatar that should be perfectly fine.

It's thinking about future development though, for now yeah the name or guild icon showing features would be better to try implement first.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

For the moment let's say that Athena transfer images as gzipped, so I think it's not a problem even if we store them as bitmaps, but there's already a lot of data exchanged, it's better to not overload the bandwith.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

How about clicking on a player to get his description and a profile the profile window could display:

Name
An Avatar (one of 100 or so pre-loaded avatars could work, or custom avatars, made by layering the same way players create their sprites)
Level / Class
A description of the player (i.e: a tall warrior with white hair and a rugged look about him stands before you... etc. [This could be based off the character's current clothing])
A background of the player, for those who like to write their own legends or roleplay.
A message from the player (i.e: "I can craft items, name your price" or "A party is always welcome", etc.)

Perhaps a row of buttons at the bottom would allow the one checking to register the other player as a friend, invite him to a party, or open a private chat.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

whoo showing lvl of player..... i disagree :P
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)