Graveyard Tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

BadMrBox wrote:Image
you made a typical beginner's mistake: using dark outlines everywhere. but don't worry, it is very easy to fix.

the trick is to draw the outlines that are away from the lightsource in a dark shade and the outlines that are in the direction of the light source in a brighter shade. I applied this to the right of your gravestones:
Doesn't it look much less amateurish and much more three dimensional that way? try applying it to the other one. It is really easy.

another improvement would be to apply some dithering on the large one colored surfaces to give it a structure. just scater some random pixels with a brighter and a darker shade over them. You can also do the same with the outlines. The result will be that it looks less like a plastic brick and more like a rough and withered stone surface:

About using the woodland grass: in my opinion it was the right decision to do so. Using parts of other tilesets helps to keep the general style consistent. But feel free to adjust the colors to fit the ambiente of your tileset. The old snes games do so all the time.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

This is how I imagened the tomstone when I pixeled it and therefore no 3d'ish frame. Besides as far as I have understanded the sun is set at north-west?
you made a typical beginner's mistake: using dark outlines everywhere.
Well, I did say that it needed a bunch load of work didn't I? It was quite some time since I was called a beginner or amateurish :lol:.
Argh, I dont want to sound cranky...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I am just trying to help you to create the best possible graphics.

the sun is southwest or over the left shoulder of the viewer. So it is written in all the graphic guidelines and so it is done in all the tilesets (at least those that have been created in this year).

when i would want to create a frame around the writing then i would do that:
when i would for example want to do a carving instead, i would do this:
the trick is not to draw shapes using outlines but to draw shapes using light and shadow.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

I am just trying to help you to create the best possible graphics.
Yeah I know.
the sun is southwest or over the left shoulder of the viewer. So it is written in all the graphic guidelines and so it is done in all the tilesets (at least those that have been created in this year).
Sorry about that one. I spoke to hastily, but when I look through the tilesets there is as many objects that drops the shadow from the northwest as southwest.

Anyway, your help is noted and appreciated :).
Luneenia
Peon
Peon

Post by Luneenia »

just wanted to say...the graveyard needs some aboveground graves...i'll take a break from the girl in the dress to teach ya'll something about new orleans culture in pixel form...below ground graves..pah...what will happen when it floods?
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

You mean somewhat like mausoleums? That are in the workshop ;)
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

Sketching on a church, will put some drawings up later on this weekend.
Luneenia
Peon
Peon

Post by Luneenia »

no no no...not mausoleums...that's for a lot of people...I meant basic one person tombs above ground...just google 'New Orleans cemetairies' you'll see what I mean
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Im getting voodo vibes. :P
That would fit on the outskirts of the graveyard.
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

We are going to say no to any direct enough referrences to known existing religions for obvious reasons.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

may i suggest an architecture style for the tombs and cathedral that is inspired by the gothic architecture style? It got something "creepy".
As a color sheme i would suggest to use grey blue tones with a high contrast.
  • NOT a game master

Luneenia
Peon
Peon

Post by Luneenia »

i'm not talking about voodoo!!! stupid stereotypical people...ALL or practically ALL graves in new orleans are above ground due to flooding which causes graves to rise up above the ground and float past people's homes...that's the point I'm making...below ground graves are strange to me...and just plain weird
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Sorry.Just joking.

Can you post a link to some pictures.Google is Teh Evil. ;)
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Luneenia wrote:i'm not talking about voodoo!!! stupid stereotypical people...ALL or practically ALL graves in new orleans are above ground due to flooding which causes graves to rise up above the ground and float past people's homes...that's the point I'm making...below ground graves are strange to me...and just plain weird
i think u mean this: Image
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Luneenia wrote:below ground graves are strange to me...and just plain weird
I think the word 'grave' is derived from digging a hole in the ground. At least the Dutch word 'graf' is; the Dutch verb 'graven' means 'to dig'.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io