to create a website for tileset images

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

ziolive
Peon
Peon

to create a website for tileset images

Post by ziolive »

What do you think to create a website just for classify all the images for the maps ?

We'll have a part for :
- propostion to create,
- missing images,
- images in development,
- finished images

and another part for :
- plants (trees, grass, bush...)
- Floors (grass, sand etc...)
- way and road
- houses
- NPC
- weapons
- stuff
- monsters
etc...

the goal is :
- to having a global vision on the graphic development for graphists and temporary contribution (what missing, what's in progress)
- to easily declinate or improve images
- to help Map creator to create maps and to improve maps

The best system will be to have a wiki with a system for upload pictures easily.
Ziolive
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Re: to create a website for tileset images

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

ziolive wrote:The best system will be to have a wiki with a system for upload pictures easily.
Our wiki isn't enough?
ziolive
Peon
Peon

Post by ziolive »

It seems we can upload images on the wiki, so that's cool.

But the question is, if everybody are ok with this idea, for adding this part to the wiki (in Development/graphics of course), cause actually in the wiki we don't have these functions.
Ziolive
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I don't really see why we need it. Maybe a list of tiles that are needed would be nice, but I think that's part of the artist's own creativity. And it can be said in just a few words by the team members.
I don't think we need to show available tiles on the wiki. Just like we don't need to say what pieces of code we already have.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
ziolive
Peon
Peon

Post by ziolive »

ok, one exemple .

I would like to add variations for all the grass, and trees, add bush etc...

1/ I need to find all the plants drawed in TMW
2/ I need to see what images have been drawed and what images is in progress
3/ Maybe the sources of images can help me
4/ I need to show all the images for know if they have a good design
5/ I need to put them anywhere for anybody can use them in his map
6/ Maybe anybody want to improve them
7/ If i didn't finish my images, anyone can do it after me

If you want to share the graphic work it could help.

Maybe it's not necessary to do this library, it's just an idea
Ziolive
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I, personally, still don't think we need it. :)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

the most recent version of all finished tilesets, sprites and icons can be found on the svn repository and all work in progress images are posted on the forum and/or on irc.

Using unfinished tilesets for mapping is not advisable, because the tileset organisation can change a lot before the release. That means that the mapper would have to remap his map over and over again.

Using small mockup snippets as map tilesets is even worse, because it would result in a map that depends on a dozend of small mini tilesets. For maintainability reasons maps should use as few tilesets as possible.

The only argument where i see a point is that it would be good to create a repository for the .tmx files of all images for easier manipulation by others. But on the other hand i would prefer to keep the .tmx files secret to be able to prove the copyright in case someone steals images for a closed source project and claims that he made them.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ziolive
Peon
Peon

Post by ziolive »

Using unfinished tilesets for mapping is not advisable, because the tileset organisation can change a lot before the release. That means that the mapper would have to remap his map over and over again.
I don't suggest to anybody works on the tileset but just on image (independently of the tileset). And the "administrator" of the tileset choose to put or not the new image in the tileset.

I go to the CVS and if i understood well, actually we have just 18 tilesets for all the game ?
In this case, yes, this project isn't necessary. :oops:

...But in the future it could be... :wink:
Ziolive