Headgear

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

About the glasses by Fettsack:
I am not a big fan of glasses on character sprites in general. But i think they are ok.

About the pirate hat by Fettsack:
I like the shape better than the one by vxd, but I think vxd did a better job with the shading, because his hat shows more light direction:

About the cowboy hat by VictorSan:
The perspective doesn't work. You've drawn it from the front and not from a 45° angle. And the shading looks quite rough. Maybe you should use a little bit less dithering or one or two additional color shades. But the hat itself is a quite good idea. i hope you don't give up.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Pirate bandana:
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
LEG0LAS
Warrior
Warrior

Post by LEG0LAS »

Modanung wrote:Pirate bandana:
me liked.
LEG0LAS + Bow = 100arrows/s
VictorSan
Peon
Peon

Post by VictorSan »

Hi,

Well feel free to alter my work. I was studying the existing hats, and i don´t see much difference in perspective, but you are the boss.

Well, i think it will have some problems too but here comes the new headgear i made. It´s inspired in the "Secret Of Mana" Steel Cap.

See you :)
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Hard to tell how it'll look.Can you put it on a player model?

I'd like a full helmet.A helmet that covers the cheeks and with a noseguard would be splendid too.
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
LEG0LAS
Warrior
Warrior

Post by LEG0LAS »

Tarm wrote:A helmet that covers the cheeks and with a noseguard would be splendid too.
you mean, things like this?
ImageImage
LEG0LAS + Bow = 100arrows/s
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Something like that yes.Im not fond of stuff like wings and I'd like the chin and "shoulder" bit of the right one a little smaller.More utilitarian I guess.

Otherwise you got what I was thinking about. :)
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

VictorSan wrote:Well for those who didn´t see it, here comes my hat. It´s a cowboy hat :)

Hope you like it.

See you
Fix the perspective and I'd wear it 24/7, even if it had -5 defense attached to it. :wink:
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I'm glad to see the thread so full of activity. Let me tell I like all of your pieces. For sure Modanung shows his experience, but I also appreciated vxd's hat, if you only could make an entire set it will be added immediately.

I was thinking that to help beginners to create an headgearset we could create a template with head of the player, to make it easy to place the equipment.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

That would be very wonderful Elven! Though the idea just chopped off the hour I spent making my own template. :wink: I would gladly take the official one over my own, however!

Also... I have a small addition of my own. Yes, it is a bit odd... and unconventional, but I think that is part of it's charm. Please do bash it to death, but only about technical errors. The hat's design stays. It is made of leather, is the primary headgear for Rangers, and is designed to both shield their heads while also blending in with the environment.

Without Playerset:

With Playerset:
Last edited by Pauan on 27 Sep 2006, 03:10, edited 1 time in total.
VictorSan
Peon
Peon

Post by VictorSan »

Well here comes the second version of the cowboy hat.

I added an extra light and shadow color. I also made the shading with less dithering.

And thanks for the critics, i noticed the lack of perspective, the problem is that i got as model a very different hat, and my perspective was wrong..

Well let me know what you think about the new one:

Before:

After:

Pauan: your hat rocks, but strangely it reminds me to ancient egiptians :)

See you!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

About Modanungs bandana: Good as usual.

About VictorSans Steel Cap: Looks promising, but i would like to see it on a character before i pass a judgement.

About Pauans leather cap:
The shading could pay more attention to the shape of the item and i think it uses too much dithering. The dithering creates a rough effect you wouldn't expect from leather.

About version 2 of Victor Sans Cowboy Hat:
Much better now. I would take it.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Example to show how I think the perspective of the cowboy hat should be:
Note this is a quick example just for the angle/perspective, I didn't really pay attention to size or colour.

But yes, your last edit was an improvement.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

Pirate stuff is sick!
I like the lighter hat also
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Crush wrote:About Pauans leather cap:
The shading could pay more attention to the shape of the item and i think it uses too much dithering. The dithering creates a rough effect you wouldn't expect from leather.
Somehow, I just KNEW you'd mention the dithering. Of course, we could just say that it has been used for a long time, passed through many rainfalls and lots of hard times in the jungle, but I shall try to see what I can do nonetheless. And, as for the shape... as I said, it's very unconventional. Think of it like a hat that has been tipped backwards, exposing the forehead, with two flaps attached to the left and right sides. As for the shading... I'll see what I can do, but as far as I'm concerned, the shape looks good. The flaps converge into the main part of the hat while still remaining distinct. Once again, I will see what I can do...