Projects similar to TMW

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Crush wrote:and don't forget that the characters can't even move without stopping on every tile. a clear sign that the programmers don't know what they are doing.
Yes, it seems as if the player needs to ask the server for permission for every step. VERY annoying.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

little update about some of the games posted so far.

Sloth is doing quite well. he released quite a lot of updates in the last few months. but it still hasn't got any gameplay yet.

Dawn of Daria is going to become a partitial pay to play game. they are going to have free servers and premium servers. of course they don't want to admit it but i think it will be going into the same direction as runescape goes (free servers are nothing more than a restricted demo version of the game that runs on the real servers).

Eternity Online is dead because the developer hasn't got time anymore.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rawrr
Peon
Peon

Post by Rawrr »

Crush wrote:and don't forget that the characters can't even move without stopping on every tile. a clear sign that the programmers don't know what they are doing.
Have you tried holding down the arrow key?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Time for a little update.

Illutia:
Business as usual.

Terraworld:
Still fixing bugs and adding content, but nothing extraordinary.

Sloth:
The server is down and they are promising a server relaunch with a new version for months.

Godborn:
Canceled because the developer found out that he underestimated the effort necessary to create an mmorpg.

Eternity Online:
Still idled. I doubt that it will become active again.

Dawn of Daria:
I wasn't able to play it (game crashes during startup) but according to the news on the homepage they are doing well.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Update about sloth:

They got combat now, but it is not very spectacular yet. The monsters don't move but stay at one place until someone comes and kills them. It is a click&watch system without any character animation or player interaction. Everything that appears when someone is hit are a damage number and an animated special effect.

There is an inventory and equipment system that looks quite nice, but only works partly and the item icons are mostly stolen from ragnarok online.
  • NOT a game master

VxD
Peon
Peon

Post by VxD »

I know one, free, french .. and really active.
http://www.slayersonline.info/
Crush wrote:
Matt wrote:Indeed. BTW, why did you forget the TMW forks?

http://www.tos.new.fr/
the project seems to be dead. the last news is from "12 juillet 2005".
the new say just they change of website for http://www.eternia-legend.c.la/
the last new is 18 August 2006. more recent.

and ... http://arianne.sourceforge.net/?arianne ... e_stendhal
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I discovered a new project named "Asguard"
http://www.asguardonline.com/

There are no screenshots on the homepage. so i made some for you.
http://www.crushnet.org/TempFiles/asguard1.png
http://www.crushnet.org/TempFiles/asguard2.png
http://www.crushnet.org/TempFiles/asguard3.png

The main problem you see is the horrible interface. half of the screen is crowded with character stats. I hope they find a better solution for this. But let's focus on what else the game has to offer.

The tile art isn't that bad from the technical point of view, although i dislike the general style. It is just too dark and colorless in my opinion.

The engine is isometric and quite ambitioned. It scrolls fluently. The most interesting feature, although it is still very buggy, is that the graphic engine draws only those parts of the map that are visible to your character.

The AI of monsters and NPCs is quite sophisticated compared with other amateur made mmorpgs. Monsters got routefinding, NPCs follow predetermined paths and attack monsters when they are getting close.
  • NOT a game master

BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

I have been watching this project but never thought of posting it in this thread :? . There is screenshots on their old homepage whatever the url was.

As I have not tested the game itself I cant make any comments on how it plays but I can say my meaning about the looks of it. The interface is the most awful creation I have ever seen. Most cluttered thing I have ever seen. Graphic-wise I think it's quite nasty but I dont like that style at all :?.

routefinding monsters sounds good though and the characters vision thing too.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The guys from http://www.godborn.com are trying a new start.

They want to use mainly the ...errr... experienced RPGmaker graphics and concentrate only on the gameplay. There is nothing to download yet. But some screenshots can be found on the forums that are only accessible after registeration.
  • NOT a game master

HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

About Asguard wow that looks bad... with all the stats everywhere... maybe it can be hidden but still.

Also I dont know if thats the graphics they are using but I dont like the style.
ilgufo
Peon
Peon

Post by ilgufo »

dofus too
TMW: mestesso, lvl42
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

I tried out asgard on a pretty fast pc (P4 3gig 512Mb ram) over a fast connection and all I have to say is LAG. The only gameplay that I really got to check out is logging off, and unless you are in the right place ( a pub I think) you lose health and gold. Too bad, seems like underneath all the technical problems there might be a decent game.
-DAVe
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Sloth seems to be dead. No news on the site, the server is down, no activity on the forum and no activity on sourceforge for months. Quite sad, it was a promising project.
  • NOT a game master

VxD
Peon
Peon

Post by VxD »

all the open source projects should advance together and not in competition.
we need a big union to cooperate with each other, and if mana world become the most important of all, he will have the responsability of this union.

it was a message from the freedom community. ;)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

VxD: Not many of the games posted here are open source. As far as I remember only stendhal is and sloth was (On the slayersonline homepage I can't find the sourcecode or a reference to an open source license anywhere. So they seem not to be free software in the sense of freedom, but I don't speak any french, so correct me when I am wrong). Both projects are not really suitable for a cooperation with us. They are programming in java and not c++, have hardly any sounds and aren't creating their own graphics but are stea... err... reusing propietary graphics. Although we would really like to cooperate with them there isn't much we could do for them or they could do for us.

I am still hoping to find a "sister project" of tmw that is a mmorpg, free open source software, using a tile based 2d engine, is programmed in c++ and decided not to use propietary graphics. Such a project would be perfect for cooperation. But at the moment I haven't found something that matches all these criterias. When anyone knows one, please post.

By the way: the guys of Dawn of Daria are promising a new alpha version at Wednesday. They already released a trailer: http://www.dawnofdaria.com/downloads/preview.wmv
  • NOT a game master