New Map

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Madcap
Novice
Novice

New Map

Post by Madcap »

SPOILER WARNING

Here is a new cave map I have created: http://www.crushnet.org/imageshack/Mole ... ave.tmx.gz

This is my first contribution to TMW, so I am not sure of the process these must go through to get implemented. So here is a thread to offer critique, suggestions, or other thoughts regarding it.

So far I have been told to widen some of the passages in the northeast corner.

The map theme and other thoughts I had when making it:

1. I read in the backstory (which may or may not be fact, I do not know) a brief mention of "Mole People" that existed some time ago. This cave is meant to be a representation of an area they inhabited.

2. I would like to see both ends of the "road" connect to other maps if it can work geographically. I am not sure how to show an exit/entrance at the southeast corner of the map.

3. I also left a couple places for additional access points (e.g., the small "den" in bottom center, and the dead-end passage on the eastern edge in the middle.

4. Are there any proposed quests that can make use of this map?

Thank you for all of your input!
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

I have been toying around with the lighting in the cave. I am guessing it has been discussed before, but if there is a torch and light effect in the works someday, then the existing spotlight.png could represent the torch-lit view, while something darker could be the norm underground without a torch.

Below are 3 shots with 3 different lights (thanks again Saphy!):

The first is the light in the new map with the original spotlight.png overlay. The second is a failed attempt at what I was trying to do. The third is closer to what I was thinking in an effort to limit how far one can see in the dark.[/img]
Last edited by Madcap on 15 Nov 2006, 03:52, edited 2 times in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

as i already said: you should use the overlay effects for creating
atmosphere and not to limit the players range of sight. When the
player is obstructed by your overlay he/she will just switch it off.

Making certain overlays not deactivateable because they are meant
as gameplay elements (like not having a torch in a dark cave) is quite
nonsensical either because we are an open source game. Everyone
with a bit programming knowledge can just remove such effects
nevertheless. The only way to hide information from the player is
by not passing this information from the server to the client.
Last edited by Crush on 13 Nov 2006, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

OK, so no dark caves. I was just brainstorming.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Although at least I'd vote for the upper right one, just to answer his question. It does change the atmosphere in a good way and is not restrictive in any way, IMHO.
This message used to be meaningful.
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

On issue #2 from the original post:

I would like to see this cave entered in the NW corner from the SE corner of the lampsnake cave. Then, it's just a matter of choosing a location to the SE of the lampsnake cave to have another opening. It could open in the forest, the well in the palm desert, the mine (level one or two), or even the town. If it goes farther than the forest, it probably makes sense to have more cave maps joining this one to cover the distance.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It would maybe be funny to interconnect all the cave maps so that we have a cave system that spans large parts of the world and can be used as an alternative route to reach certain locations.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Crush wrote:It would maybe be funny to interconnect all the cave maps so that we have a cave system that spans large parts of the world and can be used as an alternative route to reach certain locations.
we definitely need to improve the look of caves, make them more interesting to eye, now they look too "empty"...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

any suggestions?
  • NOT a game master

yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Crush wrote:any suggestions?
ok, now i can only think of stalagmites and stalactites... as i look at the map, only stalagmites come into consideration.. unless we already have a way to display something hanging from the roof :)
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

I found two great locations that the SE opening could dump into:
or

All I'd have to do is make some changes to the "long wall" in the bottom of the new cave map to narrow it down some to fit better geographically.

As for the NW corner of the new map, it could pop up in town somewhere sneaky possibly. Maybe here there could be a "secret" entrance, or not.
Last edited by Madcap on 15 Nov 2006, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Madcap, could you edit your first post? Because you created VERY wide table. Thanks

Regards.
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

If someone with the power to decide could give me direction on where this map will be used, if it all, I will make the necessary changes and submit the file to Crush. If the map will not be used, please let me know so I can stop thinking about it. Thank you.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

You should bring up the topic on #tmwdev. Preferably roughly around central european evening time.
  • NOT a game master

Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

So when is that in terms of GMT?