TMW Job Tracker

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

nym
Novice
Novice

TMW Job Tracker

Post by nym »

Would it be possible for someone to set up a job tracker so we can track who is doing what and when? New jobs can be added then assigned, and once finished they can be ticked off as complete, this would be alot easier (and more accurate) than the CurrentProject entry in the wiki. The best part will be we knwo what we are supposed to do :D

Nothing compex, we could even use the SourceForge tracker if needed.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

nym i am with you i think this is a great idea and i hope ote ppl think so too
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Maybe Sull could set up Flyspray on his server? I'm using that for Tiled as well and it's simple, effective and non-ugly looking I think.

I could try to set this up myself too.
nym
Novice
Novice

Post by nym »

The way i see it, anything is better than nothing :D
Any sort of project management tool would be great :)
Shura
Novice
Novice

Post by Shura »

don't tell me you like to have a program tell you what's being worked on instead of a person? i'd rather like regular meetings and stick with the wiki page. before we start out with project management software think about a couple of facts:
1) we're only 10 or less people working and even less actively
2) we're all on IRC and talk about things before we start them right? i surely wouldn#t like someone to just start anything and make it official by noting it down somewhere.
3) we don't have any deadlines to keep so when somethign is done it's done. so i think a wiki page can do just the same.
4) oh yeah, telling from experience while working in a company using the most misc. PM for 3 years: no one of the workers actually cares about what's in there.
Don't argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Of course it only works if people care, the same goes for forum, IRC, mailing list or whatever other methods. Fact is that I've used Flyspray in a project with only 2 (!) coders and still an issue tracker turned out to be useful, if only to serve as a global TODO list.

In any case, I find our current methods highly lacking. The Wiki is nothing like convenient and at the moment only displays often out of date "current" activity, and on IRC the people you need are often not available.

I've set up Flyspray here, I hope you'll like it:

http://www.lindeijer.nl/flyspray/
Shura
Novice
Novice

Post by Shura »

i didn't say it was useless, just pointed out that we didn't even try to make other efforts we discussed on IRC and still we#re now aiming at the most harsh solution. :)

as i've seen nobody actually cares for the discussion about the regular meeting anymore yet. a bit sad in my opinion. i'll have a look at flyspray of course and i really do hope that this is helpful not only distracting.

anyhow, i still think we should discuss the things that are going to be put in there before doing that.
Don't argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I'm not suggesting a replacement. Notifying others of current development and discussing new things still remains important. I think the Flyspray will help in making clear the important issues while also not forgetting the lower priority ones.
Shura
Novice
Novice

Post by Shura »

yes, i agree with that. let's see what comes out and hope we will finally get somewhere. :)
nym
Novice
Novice

Post by nym »

Very nice :o
I now get notifications from Jabber, which in my oppinion is a really good idea (for me, since i sometimes dont check IRC, Wiki, Forum, etc.). From the looks of it something like this is exactly what we need, and now i know what needs to be done, and who is taking care of what. Good work :)