The leveling curve.

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

Yeah, I agree it would suck to see your stud die, but I like the realism aspect of it. Again, maybe we're all elves that live for a few thousand years and it doesn't matter. But if we are not, eventually we might consider starting a fresh character anyway, with a new direction and focus.

As for effects of aging, some things I think would make sense:

-slower healing (natural healing.....medicines/potions would be needed)
-higher liklihood of greater damage from heavy blows in combat
-slow increase in wisdom/intelligence (from life experience)
-eligibility for political office, induction into the Hall of Heroes, becoming the subject in commisioned works of art (paintings, statues, etc) :wink:

Again, I would advocate a slow aging effect that is basically negligible for the first 300 hours of server time.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Unless you could buy anti-aging cremes. :D

What I'm trying to say is: bad idea.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

Modanung wrote:Unless you could buy anti-aging cremes. :D

What I'm trying to say is: bad idea.
Nonsense!!!
Quiche_on_a_leash
Novice
Novice

Post by Quiche_on_a_leash »

It is an interesting idea.

But I have to agree with Crush, not something I'd like to see implimented.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Madcap wrote:Nonsense!!!
No, I really do think it's a bad idea.
Dying of oldage in a game bites pandas and it doesn't make sense to live forever. And you could do the same things you mentioned based on a player's level. Actually life experience would be more like a character's level then his age.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

Modanung wrote:
Madcap wrote:Nonsense!!!
No, I really do think it's a bad idea.
Dying of oldage in a game bites pandas and it doesn't make sense to live forever. And you could do the same things you mentioned based on a player's level. Actually life experience would be more like a character's level then his age.
OK, I'm not really pushing for it, I was just throwing it out there. But what would you rather have, dying of old age, or living forever?
The Judge
Novice
Novice

Post by The Judge »

Somebody's feeling introspective...lol. I don't know if the Mana Worlds the medium for discussion on such philosophical questions, haha. As for dying of old age, we're all going to die when the new server comes. That'll be enough death for me. :(
Gabranth in game.
Get ready for chafing, here come the Chainpants!
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Madcap wrote:OK, I'm not really pushing for it, I was just throwing it out there. But what would you rather have, dying of old age, or living forever?
What I meant was:
Suppose our characters would age as time passes then it would be odd for them to live forever and in any case it sucks to lose your entire character because of oldage.
Also if player characters would age, NPCs should age too... and they should die or at least retire, they would have to be replaced by new ones. Although a dynamic world would be cool it is a lot of work and it's either both (PCs and NPCs age) or neither.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It's all a question of the timescale. When you consider server time = real time the characters would be played a few years top. Not long enough for any aging effects to become important.
Last edited by Crush on 07 Dec 2006, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

i am ,personally, against any aging effect.... we will live forever!
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

Modanung wrote:
Madcap wrote:OK, I'm not really pushing for it, I was just throwing it out there. But what would you rather have, dying of old age, or living forever?
What I meant was:
Suppose our characters would age as time passes then it would be odd for them to live forever and in any case it sucks to lose your entire character because of oldage.
Also if player characters would age, NPCs should age too... and they should die or at least retire, they would have to be replaced by new ones. Although a dynamic world would be cool it is a lot of work and it's either both (PCs and NPCs age) or neither.
I understand your meaning now. Yes, dying of old age would have to be a possibility if aging was implemented. I guess I am not as against that as most are. NPCs aging wouldn't be that big a deal. Just slap a new body in there and name him/her "so-and-so III, son of so-and-so" and carry on with the family business.

I agree my suggestion/idea/thought would add a layer of work, and maybe now is not the time for it. But I like the level of detail it also brings. That's just the kind of gamer I am.
Crush wrote:It's all a question of the timescale. When you consider server time = real time the characters would be played a few years top. Not long enough for any aging effects to become important.
Yeah, that's why we'd have to convert it some....for example.....based on a life expectancy of 100 years = 2000 hours of gameplay (player dies of old age at 2000 hours), then 20 hours of gametime (server time) would equal 1 year of life (and let's assume for conversation's sake that we are "born" mature, without an infancy stage of life).
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

So a character of a powergamer who plays approximately 6 hours a day would die after about a year. Yes, i am sure someone who invests that much time and energy into his character will really love this idea. [/sarcasm]
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

lol, ok......change the variable in the formula....or......let the player decide on the scale.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Madcap wrote:lol, ok......change the variable in the formula....or......let the player decide on the scale.
It doesn't change the point.
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

Modanung wrote:
Madcap wrote:lol, ok......change the variable in the formula....or......let the player decide on the scale.
It doesn't change the point.
You're right...it doesn't change your point that most people will cry if their chracter dies of old age. But it does offer an alternative....since we seem to still be talking about something that will never get implemented.