Cosmostrator's SFX thread

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Also for consistency they should always have the -1 if the effect in question is the only sound effect in the effect pool? For example: scorpion-hit-1.ogg
This message used to be meaningful.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Rotonen wrote:Also for consistency they should always have the -1 if the effect in question is the only sound effect in the effect pool? For example: scorpion-hit-1.ogg
I'd say for consistency at least use -1 if more will follow, but no need to use it when there is really only one sound.

My impressions so far:

bat dying: nice, but a bit longer maybe?
bat hit: nice
fire goblin hit 1-2: somehow do the job, could sound more like burning or breathing
fire goblin miss: i can't hear it (maybe should still sound like breathing, but not like burning)
knife hit: could sound sharper
knife miss: very nice
scorpion hit 1-4, miss: interesting, may be combined with a little bit of "fast claw moving wind"
short sword hit: see knife hit, could also be a bit longer
shroom hit: this just sounds like noise to me
slime hit: sounds interesting, but would have to see it in action
spray 1-3: not convinced, but I admit I don't know what it belongs to

I already planned to make a little script for making animated gifs based on the sprite definitions. Maybe I will give this task a little more priority.
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

http://www.mediamax.com/cosmostrator/Hosted/SFX.zip
Has been updated with the standard naming conventions.
Somehow I forgot to rename the spray files to flower in the last version.
My plan for player attack sounds would be to add a hit sound based on what kind of monster you are attacking. I'm thinking squishy (slimes), normal (fluffy, flowers) and hard (scorpions, maggot) with more to follow as more types of enemies are made (metalic).
As I was listening through the sounds I noticed an inconsistiency in loudness. I'll work on this for the next update.
Great to hear about the animated gif script.
Thanks for all the great feedback, it's nice to hear what the community has to say.
-DAVe
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

A collection of sounds for the fluffy
http://www.mediamax.com/cosmostrator/Hosted/squeak.zip
squeak -01 is my preferred attack sound
squeak miss is the miss sound

is the violet actually used in game? I was going to work on a sound for it next, but haven't actually been able to find it.
-DAVe
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Cosmostrator wrote:is the violet actually used in game? I was going to work on a sound for it next, but haven't actually been able to find it.
It hops around in the "secret" ice cave. You can enter it in the nothern part of the snowvillage.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

Found the violet thanks, I'm working on sounds for it.

http://www.mediamax.com/cosmostrator/Ho ... -miss1.ogg
Made a short sword miss sound.

I've decided to keep
as my master zip file of all "final" version SFX until I can figure out how to store them on the wiki. I'll keep it updated with the right formating and file names.
-DAVe
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I don't like the short sword sound, it sounds more like it's hitting something more than missing.
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

I'm not dead! Just very busy. All of the previously posted SFX have been normalized so that they are all about the same loudness. As always they can be found at

New sounds will be coming after the new year.
-Cosmostrator
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I replaced all the sounds on the svn repository with the new ones. Keep up the good work.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

As promised new sounds.
http://www.mediamax.com/cosmostrator/Hosted/NEWsfx.zip

EDIT: Updated complete SFX.zip folder, and the monsters.xml file to use them. Note that the punch sound is not implemented (cause I don't know how to)
http://www.mediamax.com/cosmostrator/Ho ... nsters.xml

Punch - attack sound when no weapon is equipped. I prefer this one but...
punch-01 - sounded better on little speakers.
Crunch 1-3 - Violet attack sounds, in the order that I like them.
Teeth - Violet miss sound.
teeth-2 - alternate with a little more substance.
Grub 1-2 - All three grub sounds are possibilities for a maggot attack sound. Slight differences, maybe we can use all 3.
Grubdie - maggot death sound.

Let me know what you all think. If we like the maggot sounds I may be able to edit them for giant maggot sounds.
If anyone has great ideas for spider or snake sounds I'd love to hear them.

I also updated the WIKI with file format info, so that it would be available for other sound designers.

-Cosmostrator
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The teeth sound sounds like biting into a handfull of potato chips - i really like it.

The maggot die sound has a very loud "knock" in the end. Could you try to remove that or make it less loud?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

Frito Lays actually. Mixed with biting an apple. Compliments of my beautiful wife.

It's funny that you should ask if I could edit out the "knock" as I had already done it on my test version of the sound. I updated the hosted SFX.zip file. I think you will like it much better.

I caught Trapdoor on irc and he posted a patch to make the miss sounds work.

I also noticed that for some reason the playback of the sword sound is very noisy. I'm not sure why, as the noise isn't in the source file.

-Cosmostrator
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

I'll be going to visit my archery teacher from college sometime next week to record sound effects of bow and arrow sounds. Hopefully I will be able to get sounds from a few different kinds of bows. I figure I'll get sounds of arrows being fired, flying through the air and hitting targets. Anything else you all can think of that I should get recordings of? I'll post some clips as soon as I have something.
-Cosmostrator
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Nice idea. Did you manage to record some bow sounds?
Tarrei
Peon
Peon

Post by Tarrei »