MWML.

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Amethyst
Novice
Novice

MWML.

Post by Amethyst »

Why don't you guys make your own mark-up language for the game like how Globulation and Wesnoth are doing it, that way you could get more progress done in the game's development because the XML like language would be much simpler than C++ and would probably be more flexible.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

We're actually moving a lot of stuff to XML. At least sprite animations and item, monster, equipment definitions and maps are stored in XML. Eventually maybe we'll also like to define the GUI in XML, but so far coding it in C++ is fine.

What exactly is your point though, what would be described in this MWML?
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: MWML.

Post by Platyna »

sixpointnine wrote:Why don't you guys make your own mark-up language for the game like how Globulation and Wesnoth are doing it, that way you could get more progress done in the game's development because the XML like language would be much simpler than C++ and would probably be more flexible.
If you want to hammer in a nail into a piece of wood...are you inventing the own hammer or you just go to a friend to borrow one? In Open Source projects using standard tools is a good idea. Have you noticed the development of free software is quite related to how many weird things it depends to? Write the new MWML parser and implement it in the client? What for. There is XML installed by default in any OS, ready to use.

Regards.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

By the way: On the new server we plan to implement some of the game mechanics in a common scripting language. As far as i remember Ruby was chosen for that task.

Why reinvent the wheel and write our own scripting language when there are people out there who already developed scripting frameworks just waiting to get used in other projects?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I heard Ruby is not final choice. And Ruby is evil.

Regards.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Platyna wrote:And Ruby is evil.
Which scripting language would better fit your moral standards?
Lua?
Tcl?
Perl?
ECMAScript?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

VBScript!
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Crush wrote:
Platyna wrote:And Ruby is evil.
Which scripting language would better fit your moral standards?
Lua?
Tcl?
Perl?
ECMAScript?
TCL and Perl. Eventually some XML entities used for configuration.

Regards.