Character side view

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

paro-x
Peon
Peon

Character side view

Post by paro-x »

I was messing around yesterday and changed some of the proportions for the base character. Maybe this will be helpful to someone in the future, maybe not, the difference isn't really noticeable with hair and clothes on, and I'm sure there is more important work to be done, but I thought I'd post this anyway.
Here's it is blown up so to compare the original with the changes.

I lost the original post where I got the base character sheet from and everything, or else I would've posted there sorry...
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

The things I notice to be different I don't think of as being improvements, sorry.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
paro-x
Peon
Peon

Post by paro-x »

For anyone interested: The changes I made are simple, I moved the top of the nose down one pixel (so it ends under the eyebrow rather than on top of it), I moved the chest in so its not sticking out past his stomach (if your chest extends beyond your stomach when you stand you are either leaning forward, arnold schwarzenegger, or will have future back problems :P), and the last noticable change I did I think was moving the side facing leg one pixel back so it no longer extends past his butt... (EDIT: Oh and defining his neck too.)

I think this makes his body more realistic, not that that necessarily matters. Personally I think it'd be cool if the graphics overall were more cartoonish, sort of like the original version of the character. Great thing is we could always skin this too, so I can't complain.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think most of the things you consider as issues increase depth, the cause a subtle perspective. Although I agree the legs are crappy on the original and your feet are an improvement, things like the nose and chest cause foran angled view instead of side-view. Also your version has a pencil neck, it's really thin.

Don't get me wrong though, it's great you're trying to contribute.

What do you mean by "we could always skin this too"? If you mean we could use both as base sets... then everyone will call out a big no, because all clothes would need to be drawn for both bodies. But then again I didn't get what you're trying to say.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
paro-x
Peon
Peon

Post by paro-x »

hmm.. any angle that would make the nose bride equal to the brows should also make a head of that size cover the neck (given of course that the character is not holding his head any way but straight) and force a noticeable decrease in the size that the lower body apears in proportion to the upper. If that's the case then it would take lots of work to set the proportions correctly.

By skinning I just meant people can make their own sprite sheets and throw them in, like if some external group wanted to make a disney graphics version (not me of course), they could do the graphics and throw them in and change the sprite sheets included to backups or something. I just meant it has that potential. Not that you guys should work on that... nor myself, I got 3 other projects to finish before I can even think about choosing a new one.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

paro-x wrote:By skinning I just meant people can make their own sprite sheets and throw them in, like if some external group wanted to make a disney graphics version (not me of course), they could do the graphics and throw them in and change the sprite sheets included to backups or something.
I think this is pretty much out of the question as it would require all equipment to be drawn to fit that body as well, which will be a lot in the future. Sure, it's possible, but not feasable.
Amethyst
Novice
Novice

Problem.

Post by Amethyst »

Modanung wrote:
paro-x wrote:By skinning I just meant people can make their own sprite sheets and throw them in, like if some external group wanted to make a disney graphics version (not me of course), they could do the graphics and throw them in and change the sprite sheets included to backups or something.
I think this is pretty much out of the question as it would require all equipment to be drawn to fit that body as well, which will be a lot in the future. Sure, it's possible, but not feasable.
That and we would have copyright issues.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Problem.

Post by Modanung »

sixpointnine wrote:That and we would have copyright issues.
I think the Disney thing was just a wild example.