My two cents

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

paro-x
Peon
Peon

My two cents

Post by paro-x »

My character is evil... It would be real nice to have monsters for beginners out there. The scorpion, maggot, shrooms, and bats, and basically every beginning "monster" won't even attack you until you attack it. Our characters seem like the real "monsters." We go around bashing creatures that only fight in self defense... It's like we're hunting cows over alligators. Anyway, so my suggestion to make our race a little less brutish, is to have weak creatures attack you before you attack them... you know, act more like monsters. I can see not putting them in the towns, but having them outside. Like killer maggots and such.

Another suggestion is to make a greater penalty for dying, maybe cutting your coinage in half, or having the victor collect an item off you (or you lose an item if a monster), something more than nothing anyway. Because there are times when it benefits you to die, like when you have 10hp and know dying will give you 80 or something back and your close to the spawn site anyway. IMO that would make the game a little more fun.

Besides that, the game so far is looking pretty great. Now if only I could get my joystick to work...
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Re: My two cents

Post by yosuhara »

paro-x wrote: Another suggestion is to make a greater penalty for dying, maybe cutting your coinage in half, or having the victor collect an item off you (or you lose an item if a monster), something more than nothing anyway. Because there are times when it benefits you to die, like when you have 10hp and know dying will give you 80 or something back and your close to the spawn site anyway. IMO that would make the game a little more fun.
And i say it would make game more annoying imho (besides newbies are dying every third second, and losing 60 quest bug-legs would harm them a lot ;) )
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

I'm with paro, generally speaking. There should be an incentive to surviving beyond having to walk all the way back to wherever you died. More aggressive monsters would be good too, but not all of them.
Amethyst
Novice
Novice

Out of cities.

Post by Amethyst »

I really think that the only monsters allowed in cities should be maggots or rats, but only in the sewers.
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Aggresive monsters everywhere? No way. Think of how annoying the transition map is and how it would feel if almost every map was like that.
With the monster spawning there would be almost no safe places except in towns.
It would also severily restrict where new players can go. Many players would probably quit if they cant leave the newbie area.
Besides how realistic is it with super aggressive monsters? They would act like they had rabies all off them.

This is a twitch kid generation idéa. I really really hate almost everything that phenomenom have brought or made popular. PvP all the time and everywhere is another hated thing that's associated with it.

A permanent penalty when you die? Why?
If anything this will annoy the hell out of players. Think of a player that have worked long and hard to get a certain item. When he do get it he thinks, "Great! Now I can kill monsters much faster.", so he starts to kill monsters for experience or money. Suddenly he dies because he missed a click when he needed to drink a healing potion, the cat jumped onto the keyboard, a parent/husband/wife/friend distracted him, something fell down he had to pick up, he spilled coffee, the phone rang, someone was at the door etc etc and he lost the item.
Or it's a player that's killed monsters for days just so he can get enough money to by that shiny new equipment he sorely need. He finally gets the money and then poof. Dead by the same reasons as above. Now he have to start collecting money again.
Seriously, do you think this would be fun?
If you want dying penalised it should be something like being groggy for a while so you're easy to hit and cant hit much yourself. A temporary hit point reduced for a while. Or maybe have some abilities disabled for a short period. Nothing permanent.
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

Tarm wrote:Aggresive monsters everywhere? No way. Think of how annoying the transition map is and how it would feel if almost every map was like that.
Who said "everywhere"? OK, maybe Paro alluded to it. I don't think "annoying" is a fair description of Palm Beach. Do you favor no challenge at all?
Tarm wrote:With the monster spawning there would be almost no safe places except in towns.
It would also severily restrict where new players can go. Many players would probably quit if they cant leave the newbie area.
Besides how realistic is it with super aggressive monsters? They would act like they had rabies all off them.
I think creature aggressiveness should include them attacking other non-aggressive creatures.....to spread the love a little. They attack and fight to the death the nearest non-aggresive creature, to include us.
Tarm wrote:This is a twitch kid generation idéa. I really really hate almost everything that phenomenom have brought or made popular. PvP all the time and everywhere is another hated thing that's associated with it.
Interesting comment. I blame the twitch kids' influence for games lacking depth and challenge. I am bitter about this, in the same way I am bitter that retards voted in the president I have.

Tarm wrote:A permanent penalty when you die? Why?
Because it creates a challenge. I am no twitch kid, and get the most entertainment out of being challenged and having to make good decisions in my gameplay.
Tarm wrote:If anything this will annoy the hell out of players.
Only the twitch kids, which is fine by me.
Tarm wrote:Think of a player that have worked long and hard to get a certain item. When he do get it he thinks, "Great! Now I can kill monsters much faster.", so he starts to kill monsters for experience or money. Suddenly he dies because he missed a click when he needed to drink a healing potion, the cat jumped onto the keyboard, a parent/husband/wife/friend distracted him, something fell down he had to pick up, he spilled coffee, the phone rang, someone was at the door etc etc and he lost the item.
Or it's a player that's killed monsters for days just so he can get enough money to by that shiny new equipment he sorely need. He finally gets the money and then poof. Dead by the same reasons as above. Now he have to start collecting money again.
Seriously, do you think this would be fun?
Yes, waaaaaay more fun than being immortal and not having to worry about anything. "Chocolate Cupcake happens"....ever hear of that phrase? What you describe above are simply possibilities that should be part of a dynamic world. Without these considerations, gameplay is reduced to the equivalent of walking through a museum and looking at all the pretty pixel art. Not too entertaining if you ask me....no offense to the artists! :wink:
Tarm wrote:If you want dying penalised it should be something like being groggy for a while so you're easy to hit and cant hit much yourself. A temporary hit point reduced for a while. Or maybe have some abilities disabled for a short period. Nothing permanent.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I generally agree it's a bad idea. Or rather set of ideas. Not going to explain why now, maybe later... maybe never.
On the other hand I don't think the time is ripe to bother. Of course the current world isn't balanced, it's a walk around demo. Feel free to discuss it though, I just don't think it's very useful. Apart from that these subjects have been discussed before.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Im not going to answer everything in Madcaps post. It's easier to say that he and I have different opinions on what's fun. We dont find the same thing fun in a game is all.

Yes the twitch kids tend to not like deep games. They want fast kicks.
But something that people often forget is that young people are generally much more competitive than older people. Kids challenge each other and compete all the time. This is one of the strongest reasons PvP is so popular nowadays.
Me I couldnt care less, I've never been competitive so games designed around this is not for me.
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

Wow, you make it sound like you are 80 years old Tarm but I strongly agree with you.