Snake Sprite Change

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Old Snake or New? (Read first post!)

Old
5%
New
95%

Total votes: 19
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Snake Sprite Change

Post by Pauan »

I worked on modifying the snake sprite: bright green doesn't look so great in the desert. :wink: The modifications I added include a recoloration, fixing of erroneous pixels, and also added a different texture underneath the snake while also removing the drop-shadow so as to stay within the Guidelines.

Old snake-set:

(In desert environment:)

New snake-set:

(In desert environment:)
Last edited by Pauan on 24 Dec 2006, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I think we should go for the brown one for the desert, since indeed that makes more sense camouflage-wise. I also like the change of texture on the snake's bottom. We can keep the green snake for more foresty areas, though.

Do the guidelines really state that shadow should not be part of the sprite? I think the best would be that you make a soft shadow in a separate layer, and save it as .xcf. We should then keep track of the .xcf files in Subversion separately from the exported .png version. Of course the generation of the soft shadow will need to be done consistently eventually.
LEG0LAS
Warrior
Warrior

Post by LEG0LAS »

I did not vote, cus I liked both.
As Bjørn said, we could use the new one for desert maps and the old one for forest maps. (or any other map that It could look ok)
LEG0LAS + Bow = 100arrows/s
Amethyst
Novice
Novice

New Snake.

Post by Amethyst »

The new snake looks much more suited for the desert. The old snake looks way to forest-like.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Bjørn wrote:I think we should go for the brown one for the desert, since indeed that makes more sense camouflage-wise. I also like the change of texture on the snake's bottom. We can keep the green snake for more foresty areas, though.

Do the guidelines really state that shadow should not be part of the sprite? I think the best would be that you make a soft shadow in a separate layer, and save it as .xcf. We should then keep track of the .xcf files in Subversion separately from the exported .png version. Of course the generation of the soft shadow will need to be done consistently eventually.
The guidelines state no drop-shadows on monsters except for flying creatures. And there is already a standard for shadows: On buildings and other large objects, 30% drop-shadow facing north-east, with the edges being 15% opacity. Pure black. However, I agree the 30% opacity drop-shadow looked WAY better than leaving it out. I already have the drop-shadow as a separate layer in the .xcf file. I can't do many things right, but one thing I can do is prepare for the unexpected. :P

Here it is with the drop-shadow:

(Working on the highlights and belly-texture)
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

LEG0LAS wrote:I did not vote, cus I liked both.
As Bjørn said, we could use the new one for desert maps and the old one for forest maps. (or any other map that It could look ok)
The voting is merely for which sprite will assume the role of the monster snake. Naturally we would keep the old sprite even if it got replaced, just in case. :wink:
LEG0LAS
Warrior
Warrior

Post by LEG0LAS »

Pauan wrote:The voting is merely for which sprite will assume the role of the monster snake. Naturally we would keep the old sprite even if it got replaced, just in case. :wink:
ok, so my vote is for the new one :wink:
LEG0LAS + Bow = 100arrows/s
gustavson
Peon
Peon

Post by gustavson »

I vote for the new because i think it combines better with the desert environment.
Or, maybe, you can create a new creature with the brown snake-set and conserve the old, something like with the brown, white and red scorpions.
Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Argentina.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

At the moment it seem as if the new snakes will be used as a new graphic for the current snakes while the old snake graphic will be reintroduced as a new monster. Presumably in the woodland.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
D2ARCHER
Novice
Novice

Post by D2ARCHER »

put snakes at woodland, this will be the apocalypse ^.^
D2ARCHER
7X Lvl Archer And Counting

D2MAXIMOS
XX Lvl AK Hibrid Stopped at moment ^^
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The same graphics doesn't mean the same stats.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
D2ARCHER
Novice
Novice

Post by D2ARCHER »

Crush wrote:The same graphics doesn't mean the same stats.
i totally agree with u crush, i think that nedd to be the Desert Snake more powerfully...
D2ARCHER
7X Lvl Archer And Counting

D2MAXIMOS
XX Lvl AK Hibrid Stopped at moment ^^
Manaboy
Novice
Novice

wahen

Post by Manaboy »

when you make with crismis the things
Hello my englich is not so good.

i from german :)