Cave Snake Modification

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Which would you prefer?

Old
8%
New
92%

Total votes: 12
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Cave Snake Modification

Post by Pauan »

Lo and behold, this is NOT a recoloration, like with the normal snake. Instead, I merely saw something that was lacking, and tried to fill it in. Yes, this is not a so-called "clean" pixel job, yet I think it does the trick, helping to add more depth. I will let you decide for yourself.

Old Cave Snake:

Old Snake in Environment:

New Cave Snake:

New Snake in Environment:

P.S. If the vote happens to approve of the new cave snake, here is the XML file and the map. All I need is for Bjorn or somebody similar to upload those three to the SVN and I will indeed be quite happy.
Last edited by Pauan on 29 Dec 2006, 04:43, edited 3 times in total.
deesine
Peon
Peon

Post by deesine »

Interesting, though I feel the light is a little overwhelming. The way it's tightly cut off in it's shading and, what do you call it in pixel terms? Pillow shaded? I get the feeling it should originate from a bigger and softer source.

I like it though, brings a little more life the the cave snake.

However I have all the overlay effects turned off, so I don't get the omni-shaded screen you have in the new shot.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

deesine wrote:Interesting, though I feel the light is a little overwhelming. The way it's tightly cut off in it's shading and, what do you call it in pixel terms? Pillow shaded? I get the feeling it should originate from a bigger and softer source.

I like it though, brings a little more life the the cave snake.

However I have all the overlay effects turned off, so I don't get the omni-shaded screen you have in the new shot.
I agree with you, however, to do that would require making the sprite-sheet twice it's new size (which is twice the size of the original). So yes, I shall see what I can do about softening the effect, however, it will be difficult, with not much room to maneuver. And it's your choice whether to include the overlays or not, but right now NOBODY can see it. :P I figure: Give them the option, and if they turn it off, fine. But right now nobody even has that option... So very well, I shall update it with the new softened version.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

D2ARCHER wrote:i think the new cave lamp snake is a great idea, but the light is so much "lightning", this is just my opinion! but for me, can and can't put, i dont need to enter at the cave anymore ;P
Mm, yes, I uploaded the new version. Sadly, when applying even as low as a 0.1 gaucassian blur to the lighting, it created a VERY funny looking black halo around it. Oh well... It DID look wonderful aside from the back halo. However, unless they miraculously fix their blurring mechanisms, that won't happen anytime soon. :wink:
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Yea, nice idea... but way too heavy. I think half the radius and half the opacity would be more then enough. Also if the lamps glows so visibly the snake should have a highlight on his forehead as well.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I also think that this is a great idea but way too much light.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

I think it is a great idea and i like the light.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

I tweaked the lighting, making it smaller and messing with the opacity. In addition, as I was playing, I hated how the lamp instantly switched off when the snake died. Very unrealistic. Thus, I added four more frames to the end of the dead frame, making the light fade before switching to the death frame. I modified the .XML and also have tested it in-game. It appears to work quite fine, so if everybody likes this version, I will kindly ask Bjorn to update the SVN.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

I like the idea and how is done.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Ah yes much better.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io