My crash report

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Chamaeleon
Peon
Peon

My crash report

Post by Chamaeleon »

Here's my report.

I installed TMW (version 0.0.21-2.pclo2005.mde) from Synaptic on PCLinuxOS (version 0.93).

It crashed (the window disappeared without warning or explanation) when I created an account. I opened it again and logged on with my new account (which it had apparently managed to create, despite crashing). I was able to play the game for about five seconds before it crashed again.

I restarted the game from the command line in order to get error messages. This is what it said:

Code: Select all

The Mana World v0.0.21
Account: 0
Char: 1
0x0119 0 0 0 1f10 115
Error: Animation: Could not find graphics/sprites/item020.xml!
Later, I tried again, and was able to play for a few minutes before it crashed again because it couldn't find item019.xml. Where can I get these items?!?
Last edited by Chamaeleon on 16 Jan 2007, 07:08, edited 2 times in total.
Chamaeleon
Peon
Peon

Re: My crash report

Post by Chamaeleon »

I've just tried installing from source instead.

I downloaded version 0.0.22.

I decompressed it.

I opened a terminal.

I typed "./configure".

I got the following output:

[root@localhost tmw-0.0.22]# ./configure
checking for g++... g++
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of executables...
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for stdbool.h that conforms to C99... no
checking for _Bool... no
checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for working volatile... yes
checking for error_at_line... no
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for GNU libc compatible malloc... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for GNU libc compatible realloc... yes
checking sys/select.h usability... yes
checking sys/select.h presence... yes
checking for sys/select.h... yes
checking sys/socket.h usability... yes
checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
checking for sys/socket.h... yes
checking types of arguments for select... int,fd_set *,struct timeval *
checking for vprintf... yes
checking for _doprnt... no
checking for atexit... yes
checking for floor... yes
checking for getcwd... yes
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for memset... yes
checking for mkdir... yes
checking for select... yes
checking for socket... yes
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for gcnGuichanVersion in -lguichan... no
configure: error:  *** Unable to find Guichan library (guichan.sf.net)
The final error is stupid because I have Guichan Q.5.0-2.pclo2005.mde installed.

If I then type "make", I get this:

[root@localhost tmw-0.0.22]# make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
Last edited by Chamaeleon on 16 Jan 2007, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
Chamaeleon
Peon
Peon

Post by Chamaeleon »

Ah, I've found the solution to the initial problem.

I noticed some cryptic references to "config" files and decided to do a search on my computer for such a file. It came up with ~/.tmw/config.xml

If only the main page said quite simply that one should edit this particular file, giving the correct path. I shouldn't have had to search my computer or the forum for it.

I edited it and added the new update server address. My client updated itself and all now works fine.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Chamaeleon wrote:I shouldn't have had to search my computer
Why not?
Chamaeleon wrote: or the forum for it.
In fact you shouldn't since it was clearly stated in the updater news, or you should get the latest version which doesn't require editing.
Chamaeleon
Peon
Peon

Post by Chamaeleon »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:Why not?
Hmm, I fear this is the Linux attitude coming out. Why make something easy for others when you can make it difficult?

Whose time is more important, that of a developer or that of a legion of users? Why, that of a developer, of course! Because I'm a developer and I don't want to waste two minutes of my time by saving two minutes of hundreds of people's time!

Great attitude.
ElvenProgrammer wrote:In fact you shouldn't since it was clearly stated in the updater news,
Nope. It said "config.xml". It did not say where such a file might be.
ElvenProgrammer wrote: or you should get the latest version which doesn't require editing.
I installed the most recent version available in my Linux distro's Synaptic repository. PCLinuxOS users are instructed never to install any third-party programs until we are experts.

Nevertheless, (as I explained above, if you had read it) I decided to take a chance and download the source code and compile it. I have already explained how this failed.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Chamaeleon wrote:PCLinuxOS users are instructed never to install any third-party programs until we are experts.
I don't see how one would become an expert without training intermediate action.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Chamaeleon
Peon
Peon

Post by Chamaeleon »

Modanung wrote:I don't see how one would become an expert without training intermediate action.
That's why sometimes break the rules and experiment. I've screwed up the computer twice, but with proper backups it's no big issue.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Chamaeleon wrote:
Modanung wrote:I don't see how one would become an expert without training intermediate action.
That's why sometimes break the rules and experiment. I've screwed up the computer twice, but with proper backups it's no big issue.
My advice: Use Arch Linux. Doesn't hold your hand, is hard to break and is simple and effective. Teaches you far faster and has a friendly community to help you with issues provided that you're willing to read the wiki and the forums. Also it's getting hard to find software, for which there isn't a package in Arch.
This message used to be meaningful.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Chamaeleon wrote:

The final error is stupid because I have Guichan Q.5.0-2.pclo2005.mde installed.
Unfortunately Guichan is giving issues on many distros. The suggested way to fix it is to install it from source as well.
Chamaeleon wrote: If I then type "make", I get this:

[root@localhost tmw-0.0.22]# make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
Before running configure and make be sure to run "./autogen.sh". When you need detailed instructions you can refer to INSTALL file.
Chamaeleon wrote:Hmm, I fear this is the Linux attitude coming out. Why make something easy for others when you can make it difficult?

Whose time is more important, that of a developer or that of a legion of users? Why, that of a developer, of course! Because I'm a developer and I don't want to waste two minutes of my time by saving two minutes of hundreds of people's time!

Great attitude.
And just for sake of clarity, I'm a Windows user, so no Linux attitude here. If you're said to find a file, you usually search it. We don't know what's the user OS, so we can't say where the file is, but let the user find it knowing how its OS works.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Chamaeleon wrote:Whose time is more important, that of a developer or that of a legion of users? Why, that of a developer, of course! Because I'm a developer and I don't want to waste two minutes of my time by saving two minutes of hundreds of people's time!

Great attitude.
ElvenProgrammer wrote:In fact you shouldn't since it was clearly stated in the updater news,
Nope. It said "config.xml". It did not say where such a file might be.
About spending time to inform the users: we've had an update notice (including details on where to find the file) up for a few weeks in both a special notice on the website as well as the news displayed on client startup. Only after the 0.0.22 release was available, which defaults to the new updatehost value, we removed the notice on the website and replaced it with a more brief note accompanying the 0.0.22 announcement. Meanwhile, the in-game notice is still in place and does indicate the location of the config file to anybody who still has to edit it.

So much for your whole argument about who's time is more important.

As for the above error. While you may say that Guichan 0.5.0 is indeed installed, this doesn't change the fact that the compiler couldn't find it. Whenever such a problem occurs when you run configure, check the file "config.log" in the same directory for more detailed information on what went wrong.

Note that the latest release, 0.0.22.1, requires Guichan 0.6.0. If your distribution doesn't have this yet (likely), then you can stick with version 0.0.22. In any case, your current version (0.0.21) is very outdated and bound to give you some compatibility problems. You can also try urging your distribution to update their version of TMW.