Playing TMW behind a proxy (Squid)

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
jvroig
Peon
Peon

Playing TMW behind a proxy (Squid)

Post by jvroig »

Is there a way now to be able to play TMW behind a proxy?

At home, TMW runs excellently, no problems (m using the package available in Fedora Core 6, TMW 0.0.21).

Behind a proxy, however, it successfully finishes the update process, then when I try to login or register, all it says is "Error: Got disconnected from server". Our proxy at work is Squid, if that helps.

Thanks guys. Keep on rockin'!
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

WWW proxy (Squid) shouldn't be related to TMW. You should ask your ISP if its is blocking any ports or if you are forced to use proxy for other services than just WWW.

Regards.
jvroig
Peon
Peon

Post by jvroig »

Thanks, that helps.

So this isn't a proxy issue?

In that case, what ports or services does TMW need that I should check to see if they are unblocked or not under a proxy? I need to know this to be able to tell the network admins what exactly is my problem. I'm a software dev, so I'm not the one in charge of the network settings.

Thanks!
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

netstat -telp | grep eathena wrote: tcp 0 0 *:5122 *:* LISTEN eathena 43132633 23951/map-server
tcp 0 0 *:6122 *:* LISTEN eathena 43132680 18514/char-server
tcp 0 0 *:6901 *:* LISTEN eathena 43132620 140/login-server
Regards.
jvroig
Peon
Peon

Post by jvroig »

I have honestly no idea what you just wrote... well, sort of.

If I need those ports opened on our proxy server (they won't allow it, for sure), and there's no other way around it, then am I right to assume I'll just never be able to play it at work during breaktimes and such?

Thanks. TMW is so awesome I just want to be able to do it at the office too! :-D
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

What Platyna expects you to read out of this netstat snippet is that the TCP ports 5122 , 6122 and 6901 are used by her Server.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
jvroig
Peon
Peon

Post by jvroig »

sorry, not a networking guy. :(

So where exactly does that lead me? Is there something I can do on my machine (a setting or configuration) to make it work, or is that something that should be done on our proxy?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

You should talk to your local network administrator about this.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
jvroig
Peon
Peon

Post by jvroig »

Finally got it. Those ports are all blocked by our firewall (so it really isn't a proxy issue after all), which makes sense because by default (in any sane setup) all ports are blocked except those that are needed, and I guess none of those happened to be free.

Thanks for setting me straight! It's too bad, but yeah, I guess Bjorn was absolutely right, I shouldn't be playing TMW at work anyway! :D