Monster Points Rewards needs a major overhaul

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

namaaa
Peon
Peon

Monster Points Rewards needs a major overhaul

Post by namaaa »

As one gets up in lvls, the monster rewards points seem to stack up, e.g. 20,000 30,000 +. Now the way you have it set up, when I want to use these points, I must go through 3-4 clicks per 300 or so points. That is a pain, to say the least.

I propose an easy solution, have the points/rewards done the first time asked. As a batch.

If you were to have it divide # of reward points by current # taken per reward, and round down to nearest whole integer, using a loop statement to give the rewards, then the rewards can be given the first time asked.

I am no programmer by any stretch of the imagination, so bear with me. Also I am making up most of this, so if value names don't match, well you can figure it out.

Let's use P = Points earned R = Reward Points subtracted per reward. N = # of rewards earned X = Reward itself

{

Divide P by R rounding to next lowest whole integer

If N => 1 Then

Get random reward

Give random reward

Echo You pick up X (in dialog box only)

Else Echo You don't have enough points to redeem.

}

I hope this makes some sense, as i said I am no programmer. But this may keep the higher lvl chars from having to stand by Rewards Master for 5+ minutes getting single rewards.

Peace

Paul
Nickman
Peon
Peon

Post by Nickman »

Is the goal to give as much awards as possible for the monster points you have? So that you spend all your monster points at once instead of having toc lick for every reward?

Then the pseudo code would be more like this:

Code: Select all

{ 
     Divide P by R rounding to next lowest whole integer 
     If N => 1 Then {
          for(i=0; i <=N; i++){
               Get random reward 
               Give random reward 
               Echo You pick up X (in dialog box only)
          }
     } Else {
          Echo You don't have enough points to redeem.
     }
}
A little bit more accurate ;)

But maybe if this is going to be implemented, you should be able to choose how many monster points you whant to spend, since maybe you want to save some for later? :)
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot!
Webmaster of:
- http://www.bwf.be
- http://www.ecdf.be
CurtisMJun
Novice
Novice

Post by CurtisMJun »

But why would you want to save them for later? What benifit would you get from that?
CurtisJ in-game
lvl 69 archer and increasing :)
namaaa
Peon
Peon

Post by namaaa »

I can't see why any high lvl char 50+ would want to hoard the Monster reward points

But you could ask how many points to spend, would have to do a points check.

So

P = Points Earned P1 = inputted # from player

Input P1

if P1 > P Echo your don't have that many points to exchange.

Else Previous Subroutine (from post 1)

I think it is doable, not that hard to integrate with the existing Rewards Module, as all the variables are already in place so that shouldn't be much of an obstacle.

I would write it myself, but as I stated I am not a programmer.

Peace

Paul
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

This is an open source game.

Why don't you learn the eAthena scripting language (it is really simple, just google for a tutorial) and write a better script?

You can find the current script (like every other server data file) on the svn repository: http://themanaworld.svn.sourceforge.net ... iew=markup
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

i too would be interested in some scripting on eAthena server, but would it be worth our time? Seeing as how we will be migrating to the new server. Is there any forcast for an estimated time for the new server? 1 year? 2 year? If it is more than 6 months, I would be interested in picking up eAthena scripting, but if we are changing platforms in less than 6 months, I feel it might be a waste of my time.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I hope that we can switch to the new server platform in this year but it is far too early to tell.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

If eAthena scripting is easy, I am a pope...

Regards.
namaaa
Peon
Peon

Post by namaaa »

I have laid everything out, so it shouldn't be a problem for someone who knows the scripting to do it. Also I have no compiler.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

That's not how open source projects work. When you want something to be done you do it yourself.

You don't need a compiler. Scripts are interpreted and not compiled. You just need eAthena to test it. You can download the windows version here:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=1909
and the linux version here:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=1701
Last edited by Crush on 26 Jan 2007, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
  • NOT a game master

namaaa
Peon
Peon

Post by namaaa »

Ok got it, now how do I use the script you sent me to? How do I save it, and how do I run/compile it??
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

namaaa wrote:Ok got it, now how do I use the script you sent me to? How do I save it, and how do I run/compile it??
When you download the windows version of the server or the linux version with the server data it will already be set up like on the original server. All you have to do is to change the script in the subfolder \npc\tulimshar\reward-master.txt

To test it run the three server programs (char-server, login-server and map-server), connect to it with your normal tmw client (enter 127.0.0.1 as server in the login dialog), register a new account on your server and speak to the npc.
  • NOT a game master