New Artist

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Len
Knight
Knight

New Artist

Post by Len »

I'm a exceptional artist, although i never really worked on anything like this (pixel art anyway)

i need to ask what programs i need and what formate must work be submitted in?

:D
Last edited by Len on 05 Feb 2007, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Nice to see that you are interested in helping the mana world. What exactly are you interested in doing? Concept art? Map tiles? Cloth sprites? Monster sprites?

Regarding the questions you've asked:

TMW is using the PNG graphic format (32 bit with alpha layer) that is supported by most image manipulation programs. Most of us are using GIMP for creating graphics, but you can use any program you like. When you want to create map tiles our map editor Tiled might come in handy, too. On our Wiki you can find our general graphic guidelines and the guidelines and specs regarding tilesets, equipment spritesets and monster spritesets. Regardles what area you are interested in, the Joining the project article will be interesting for you in any case.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

first of all, welcome to TMW, i glad a good artist is willing to be part of the team.

I'm trying to create a sand-stone snake statue that can fit in one of the maps we have,

fantasy multi cultural statue snake, means a mix between all kind of dragons and snakes from any known culture.

are you interested ? if yes, i'll give you the details.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

I would like to point out that both your perspective and shading are off, and could definitely need some work. Not a bad start at all, but it will take much tweaking to get it into a workable state. With time and practice you could definitely become a good pixel artist. :)
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

AxlTrozz wrote:first of all, welcome to TMW, i glad a good artist is willing to be part of the team.

I'm trying to create a sand-stone snake statue that can fit in one of the maps we have,

fantasy multi cultural statue snake, means a mix between all kind of dragons and snakes from any known culture.

are you interested ? if yes, i'll give you the details.

Yes I'm interested
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Joining the art channel never hurts. It's easier to discuss task assigning there because most semi-lead artists hang out there. They know best what art has high priority and what has low priority.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

As Modanung said better you join #tmwart channel in the IRC so you can ask for assignments

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... hlight=irc

Anyway after your assignment if you want to help in a "desert temple" idea, you can check my thread and see if you like it, may be you can help us to create the "snake statue" im looking for

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=2244

Regards
DEFDEFIRE
Peon
Peon

Post by DEFDEFIRE »

Hey im currently doing a little bit of work just now, and i have been studying a lot of secret of mana work ( im basically making a sort of isometric mana)

maybe i could make an object or two for your game if thats cool, its currently isometric stuff that im doing but im sure with a little bit of practice i could make the sorta stuff u guys are doing

thanks
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

DEFDEFIRE, i recommend you read the guidelines before you invest more time in graphics...

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Guidelines

They give you a pretty good picture of what they expect from us (pixel artist)
DEFDEFIRE
Peon
Peon

Post by DEFDEFIRE »

thanks for a fast response

i have read the guidelines and alas i cant use IRC at work, but i'd like to make the odd weapon or that, it would be fun to make a tile or two,

if someone were to give me some specs say the res and what object or tile needed to be made that would be cool,

thanks

il post an example up of what ive done, ill need to look something out
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

you can find everything you need on the wiki. the wiki is our repository for ANYTHING that anyone would need to know about The Mana World.
DEFDEFIRE
Peon
Peon

Post by DEFDEFIRE »

here its a unfinished wall thing

thanks ill chek the wiki for more details
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

DEFDEFIRE wrote:if someone were to give me some specs say the res and what object or tile needed to be made that would be cool,

thanks
Crush wrote:On our Wiki you can find our general graphic guidelines and the guidelines and specs regarding tilesets , equipment spritesets and monster spritesets . Regardles what area you are interested in, the Joining the project article will be interesting for you in any case.
Regarding what would be needed: When you want to start small, you could for example make one or two general household items for the woodland village indoor tileset:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=1538

Here are the most recent source files (GIMP xcf format):
http://www.crushnet.org/imageshack/woodland_indoor.xcf
http://www.crushnet.org/imageshack/wood ... oor_x3.xcf
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

DEFDEFIRE wrote:Image
Although it is nu really like the style of TMW it looks really great. I'm sure you could adapt.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Very nice work, well done.