Interface suggestions

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

zox
Peon
Peon

Interface suggestions

Post by zox »

Only one so far, but I might forget if I don't post it. Best to keep distinct aspects in different threads, though. Maybe others will add to it.

Hide pointer on keypress

Even though the team are considering ways to provide purely keyboard-based control, there are invariably times when the pointer gets used for something, then left in the middle of the screen until you remember to drag it off again (possibly with a grunt of annoyance).
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

How about making the cursor disappear when it isn't moved for a few seconds?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Quiche_on_a_leash
Novice
Novice

Post by Quiche_on_a_leash »

Crush wrote:How about making the cursor disappear when it isn't moved for a few seconds?
I'm sure this was discussed a while back.
Personally, I'm all for that idea.

Although I'm not to keen on the hiding the mouse on key press idea as I do find that quite annoying IMO.
zox
Peon
Peon

Post by zox »

Whichever works.

I have a preference for using keypress (maybe just the arrow keys?) because it happens precisely when you are definitely not using the mouse, whereas the timeout can happen by pausing too long during use, or linger past its welcome.
In my experience, timeouts never sync with the user's intentions.

Likewise, in case it wasn't obvious, the pointer would reappear on use (in either system).
Then you have to move it just to find it again, before you can see which way to really move it; This is okay if it comes after using the keyboard, but a real nuisance between pointer moves.

I can see the keypress being undesireable for players who use the pointer exclusively, but then I don't know why they'd want to hide it.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Why not make it an option (keypress, timeout and none)?
That way the player can choose what they want.