Updates vs Versions

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Updates vs Versions

Post by Cosmostrator »

I noticed that when I downloaded version 0.0.22.2 of TMW that I still needed to download most if not all of the updates for it to work. Is there a reason that updated content is not included in new versions of the installer?

If it is not too difficult it would be great if updates up until the current version were packaged, so that new players would only have to wait for downloads once. It would move more of the bandwidth use over to SF servers instead of our update server as well.
-Cosmostrator
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

We're including less and less data with the client, because we aim for a client which is lightweight and can connect to different servers, which could host different worlds. This would already be possible by changing both server and update host in your config file.

Another reason not to release the data with the client is that client updates and data updates are mostly independent of each other, or at least meant to be (we're still breaking compatibility sometimes). This means that we shouldn't rely on the latest data to be available on the client, which would mean even if we included the latest data with the client, it will still be downloading the updates since they will be there for any previous clients people might still be using.

Ah, about your suggestion to package updates, that would currently only be reasonable for our Windows installer I guess. But since we plan to move towards storing updates in the user home directory, I'm not sure how feasible this will be then.
namaaa
Peon
Peon

Post by namaaa »

where can I dl 22.2? Do I need to get source and compile?
Quiche_on_a_leash
Novice
Novice

Post by Quiche_on_a_leash »

Nope, you can get it here. :wink:
Fennias Maxim
Peon
Peon

Post by Fennias Maxim »

Why wasn' t the game updated with apt? How do i install the file from the link above. Sorry, using Linux for 3 Weeks.
<- Linuxnoob
Amethyst
Novice
Novice

Post by Amethyst »

I noticed that the 0.0.22.2 client is missing the entire sprite folder.
trapdoor
Novice
Novice

Post by trapdoor »

Sprites are now part of the server update, so that the sprite set isn't tied to the client, and other games can be made with the server without having to change the client.

--
trapdoor
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Fennias Maxim wrote:Why wasn' t the game updated with apt? How do i install the file from the link above. Sorry, using Linux for 3 Weeks.
<- Linuxnoob
Lack of manpower.