Towns

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Towns

Post by Talaroc »

Hey, another idea to irritate you folks with. :wink:

I was thinking about the concept of town being safe zones...if you think about it, if it's supposed to be a world with monsters running amok everywhere, the majority of your cities probably aren't going to be all that safe. So what I was thinking is, have three types of area: wilderness/dungeons (lots of monsters, occasional NPC's wandering about), unsecured cities (the majority of town areas; lots of NPC's, shops and such, a few monsters), and safe spots (inside churches or castles; no monsters, where you enter the game each time). This system would additionally open up a new element to gameplay--in cities where this would be feasable given storyline, there could be occasional (once per day, perhaps) monster swarm attacks; a claxon sounds, shopkeepers and NPC's run inside to hide, signs appear to direct newbies to safe spots, and all hell suddenly breaks loose as a swarm of monsters storms through the town, the players it's only defenders. Especially if the swarms were pretty large, it would really encourage group cooperation, as all the players in a town suddenly get called upon to act as the city guard. Perhaps even a penalty for not successfully repelling the attack--the monsters steal the town's supply of certain goods, for example, so you can't buy those items in that town until the next day, something like that.

The more I think about these things, the more fun ideas I get, so I'll keep slapping them up here. Lemme know what you think.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

First off it has been pretty much decided that you'll respawn where you logged off. So when you want to be sure of a safe respawn you'd have to go to the church/castle yourself.

In general, monsters will be restricted in the area they can wander to, and cities should probably be kept safe with guards at the gates, in order to fight off those monsters which either have their wander area overlapping with the city or monsters that are chasing players that flee into town.

But I like the idea of monster raids on certain areas. And not every town would be guarded, especially the smaller ones may be vulnerable. Through news channels within the game or by talking to NPCs the players could be able to find out about a group of monsters that had been spotted and when and where it's attacking.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Yup don't look at our town, this is filled with monesters only because it's our only map. Probably cities, especially bigger commercial ones will never have monsters inside them. I agree with Bjorn, your ideas about monsters raids it's pretty interesting, but will be also very hard to implement I think. I will be thinking on it anyway. :arrow:
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Bigger cities being secure--makes sense.

Yeah, just an idea. I know next to nothing about coding beyond html and css, so I have no idea how difficult my ideas would be to implement.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Don't worry just propose :D
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

well but we should have smaller towns too.. with all npcs in there which a player does need
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'd like the cities to be free of monsters (in peacetime) but the tension would come from the fact that the kingdoms are at war with each other.. Then the other country would just roll a full heads on assault on the other kingdom, with players AND monsters.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

That sounds like it would be even more difficult to implement, though.

Plus that encourages pkilling, which tends to make these games less fun (unless there's at least restrictions on it, like you can't pkill if someone's not close to your level--too many people around who'd go around killing off newbies left and right).
imorgado
Novice
Novice

Unrealistic, but Good IDEA

Post by imorgado »

pkllinks should be allowed when players are equivalent in experience.

In RO we should use the 10 difference rule.

In Mana.. I reall don't know we will not have levels ;-) (better)

We should count skill point? stats? game time?

There is a nice think in this thing..

We never know if the target is 10 levels below (or above ;-)
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Take a look at PVP models in the Wiki and give me some input about what kind of PVP you want me to organize.
http://themanaworld.sourceforge.net/wiki/?PVP

Right now, it looks like we'll probably be going on a Kingdom PvP model, which also allows for deuling and arenas in some areas. Kingdoms will have scheduled raids against other cities (as Rotonen mentioned, with players and trained monsters). These raids will generally last a certain amount of time (1-2 hours) and have a specific objective (kill a certain NPC, steal a certain item) . If the kingdom completes this task, they get a prosperity bonus. If they fail, the defending kingdom gets a prosperity bonus. You can see the effects of prosperity bonuses on the Dynamic economy page of the Wiki:
http://themanaworld.sourceforge.net/wik ... nomySystem
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.