cave and other additions (Yosuhara)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

something small to break-up the monotonous cave environment:
i was aiming for glowing mushroom... i just don't feel i got it right... but whatever..

things i have to correct:
1. stem's base
2. some AA
3. i'll try to add some glowing halo around it

EDIT:
here comes the new version...
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Accept criticism? :lol:The glowing looks like goo oozing from the stem. I suggest some "manual" blending of the light with the terrain (by manually I mean without the gradient tool or at least that's not noticed), use alpha channel of course, you know already probably :P. Finally I would add a smaller circle of lighter pink, almost white, less blend with the terrain. Then add an almost transparent circle around the body of the fungi.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Lightning the environment when using a 2d engine is always difficult. When I would make a glowing object I would try to pixel it normal and then add a glowing halo around it using an automatic filter.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Pajarico wrote:Accept criticism? :lol:The glowing looks like goo oozing from the stem. I suggest some "manual" blending of the light with the terrain (by manually I mean without the gradient tool or at least that's not noticed), use alpha channel of course, you know already probably :P. Finally I would add a smaller circle of lighter pink, almost white, less blend with the terrain. Then add an almost transparent circle around the body of the fungi.
yeah, that Glow/goo was made using alpha channel.. no gradient tool was used, mushroom is pure pixel :)
could you demonstrate your suggestion? i just don't think i understand what u mean..
ps: i always await criticism ;)
Crush wrote:Lightning the environment when using a 2d engine is always difficult. When I would make a glowing object I would try to pixel it normal and then add a glowing halo around it using an automatic filter.
scrap the whole glowing thing, what do you say about that mushroom?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It looks flat. Some shading could help.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Crush wrote:It looks flat. Some shading could help.
hm.. i'm not quite sure about it, cause this mushroom is glowing- the mushroom itself is a lightsource...

edit:Sooo, how do you like the new halo?
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

yosuhara wrote:
hm.. i'm not quite sure about it, cause this mushroom is glowing- the mushroom itself is a lightsource...

nice effect :P
Manaboy
Novice
Novice

i

Post by Manaboy »

Len wrote:
yosuhara wrote:

nice effect :P
#

i like tahts is cool :D :D :D
Hello my englich is not so good.

i from german :)

my lvl is 71
and my name is Manaboy in tmw
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The problem with the light halo on the ground is that it won't look well when objects walk through it. Either you put it on the ground. Then mobile objects will walk through it without being illuminated by it. Or you put it on a higher layer. In that case objects will be illuminated by it but in a physically very incorrect manner.

This is more what I imagined:

Here without background:
Last edited by Crush on 26 Apr 2007, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
  • NOT a game master

yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Crush wrote:The problem with the light halo on the ground is that it won't look well when objects walk through it. Either you put it on the ground. Then mobile objects will walk through it without being illuminated by it. Or you put it on a higher layer. In that case objects will be illuminated by it but in a physically very incorrect matter.

This is more what I imagined:

Here without background:
looks alright
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Crush wrote:The problem with the light halo on the ground is that it won't look well when objects walk through it. Either you put it on the ground. Then mobile objects will walk through it without being illuminated by it. Or you put it on a higher layer. In that case objects will be illuminated by it but in a physically very incorrect manner.
simply make it so people can't walk through it
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

With what explanation? "Oooh, there is a glowing light. Your character is afraid of it and refuses to step into it."

A general rule in game design is that objects that don't look like they would block movement shouldn't do so. Otherwise it is really frustrating for the player when he is obstructed by something that doesn't look like a real obstacle for his character.
  • NOT a game master

Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Crush wrote:With what explanation? "Oooh, there is a glowing light. Your character is afraid of it and refuses to step into it."

A general rule in game design is that objects that don't look like they would block movement shouldn't do so. Otherwise it is really frustrating for the player when he is obstructed by something that doesn't look like a real obstacle for his character.
scale down the light slightly and have the mushroom be the obstruction blocking movement
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Nah, we don't want moving trough maps to be more difficult.

Regards.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Len wrote:
Crush wrote:With what explanation? "Oooh, there is a glowing light. Your character is afraid of it and refuses to step into it."

scale down the light slightly and have the mushroom be the obstruction blocking movement
crush and platyna are right... it should be walkable..